Motorcycle wave protocol

Chubbs

Do you guys wave at motorcycles?

As I drive the goblin more, and especially now that the weather is nice, I noticed some motorcycles wave at me. Specifically, sportbike guys. The faster the bike, the more likely they are to wave. Harley guys don't wave at all. They must be too cool or something.

It seems polite to wave back to the sportbike guys. Thoughts?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I rode sportbikes for years, kind of got use to waving. Of course I wave back to sport bikes. The bikers who wave are kind of saying my goblin is cool enough for them. :)

Harleys usually don't wave to sport bikers either. Just not there style. My kid once told me that young people ride sports bikes and old people ride cruisers. Made me laugh, and I pointed out that I don't follow that rule.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
They think we are slingshots and slingshots are technically a motorcycle (very debatable), so some will wave.

I have been riding sport bikes for over 25 years. Most Harley guys won’t wave at anything not cruiser, so I’m use to it.

proper biker wave protocol is your 2 first fingers down at a 45* angle. This simply means “keep your 2 wheels on the ground.” (Or shiny side up).

Last edited:

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
When I'm on a bike, my wave is two wheels down. In the Goblin, it's the shaka. I'll wave back to anyone, regardless of what they're in/on.

Dale E

My experience has been that most bikers will give you a two fingers wave (sometimes it's the rider doing it). Other cars wave and when cruising I watch for folks in yards who also will wave. And always wave for a driver that pulls over to let you or the group pass!!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Sport bikers almost always wave, or thumbs-up, or similar. I rarely see any "two fingers down".

Harley guys almost always just outright won't acknowledge me ("my toy is too cool for your toy"), though a small number (2) have yelled vulgarities at me.

So I just wave at sport bikes, and return whatever I get from Harleys.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Hopefully not returning their IQ sign - middle finger! Those guys carry guns! :oops::eek::p
technically, not really. They carry a master lock with a bandanna around it. Nothing illegal about a master lock, but it makes a hell of a weapon. Can’t walk into a bar with a gun, but can with a master lock. ;)

they started this whip thing a while back they hang off their handle bar and they claim it defense from cagers. The only thing is, if there’s a confrontation on the road, car wins when they run them off their bike with said car. o_O Whip<car

PaulPerger

technically, not really. They carry a master lock with a bandanna around it. Nothing illegal about a master lock, but it makes a hell of a weapon. Can’t walk into a bar with a gun, but can with a master lock. ;)

they started this whip thing a while back they hang off their handle bar and they claim it defense from cagers. The only thing is, if there’s a confrontation on the road, car wins when they run them off their bike with said car. o_O Whip<car
Oh SNAP!! I just learned something!! I saw a guy at a Waffle House one time wearing a bandana with a lock attached to the end of it. He was wearing it like a pocket watch. And he most definitely fit the stereotype with a gang jacket, etc. I thought it was weird (odd enough that I remember it to this day)... Now I know WHY!! I started seeing people "Concealed Carrying" once I started carrying, I wonder how many locks I'll see on bandanas now that I am aware of it!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Oh SNAP!! I just learned something!! I saw a guy at a Waffle House one time wearing a bandana with a lock attached to the end of it. He was wearing it like a pocket watch. And he most definitely fit the stereotype with a gang jacket, etc. I thought it was weird (odd enough that I remember it to this day)... Now I know WHY!! I started seeing people "Concealed Carrying" once I started carrying, I wonder how many locks I'll see on bandanas now that I am aware of it!
It started way back when. Way back. Harleys don’t use a handle bar locks like most bikes do, with the key, they have a spot on the triple tree and frame you use a master lock to “lock” the forks (prevent stealing). Like I said, you can’t take a gun into a bar, but you can a master lock. “Oh officer, that lock is for my bike I forgot to put on, it’s not a weapon”. You put the bandana around it (also not illegal) as a swing device. Perfect defense and totally “legal”.
ADD66158-692D-438C-9A5C-97B2240DD1FB.jpeg