Mounting heat exchanger up high

Oldchevyguy

So I have decided to mount a heat exchanger above across the top just under the main hoop. My question is to those that have done it this way. DID YOU MOVE THE PLASTIC RESERVOIR UP AS HIGH AS THE CHARGE COOLER? Not sure if its necessary or not. Thanks.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes I did. I put these 2 parts up high, so I could fill it, and I wanted it to fit behind the roll bar.

Street Tee, Brass, 1/2" FNPT x MNPT, G2584775 14.00 Zoro order number SO13074168/ thru Amazon Fulfillment
Brass COUNTERSUNK HEX Plug 1/2" Male NPT MNPT Fuel/AIR/ Water/Oil/ Gas WOG5.45Amazon/EDGE INDUSTRIAL

Oldchevyguy

Yes I did. I put these 2 parts up high, so I could fill it, and I wanted it to fit behind the roll bar.

Street Tee, Brass, 1/2" FNPT x MNPT, G2584775 14.00 Zoro order number SO13074168/ thru Amazon Fulfillment
Brass COUNTERSUNK HEX Plug 1/2" Male NPT MNPT Fuel/AIR/ Water/Oil/ Gas WOG5.45Amazon/EDGE INDUSTRIAL

View attachment 11159
Ok. Did you retain the stock plastic filler "tank"?

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nope. The hoses can flex a bit, but that is it for expansion. I can see if there is air in the system, and if the pump is circulating the fluid.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
No need for the plastic filler port. That is assuming you have some method of filling it that it at the highest point possible otherwise you will end up with a lot of air in the system that you cannot get out. We used the clear hose also and found there is always a lot of air in the system no matter how much you bleed it. We finally got it down to just tiny bubbles instead of large pockets of air.

Oldchevyguy

No need for the plastic filler port. That is assuming you have some method of filling it that it at the highest point possible otherwise you will end up with a lot of air in the system that you cannot get out. We used the clear hose also and found there is always a lot of air in the system no matter how much you bleed it. We finally got it down to just tiny bubbles instead of large pockets of air.
Thanks. Did you use a tee as a fill port as stated earlier in this thread?

Oldchevyguy

Also, what type of clear hose did yuh ou use? The cheaper 150 degree stuff or more expensive high temperature stuff?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I used the cheap clear hose too, without a pressure cap... but it doesn't get hot, so I'm not too worried. I will watch it once I get the smaller supercharger pulley running, but I doubt it will be much more heat. I didn't have any issues getting the air out of the system. I did notice that HP Tuners has an delay option on the intercooler pump. Stock it turns on 10? seconds after engine startup.