My current choices Auto or Manual

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Very first post and it’s an important one.

I have two cars in my area to choose from at the moment.

2009 Cobalt LS Automatic with mileage of only 11k for $4,500

OR

2009 Cobalt LS 5spd Manual with 54K miles for $4,900

My gut is telling me that the manual is the only way to go, but the 11K mileage has my attention.

The Goblin will only be for enjoyment no racing.
May I get your thoughts

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Before I read "only for enjoyment" I was leaning manual, but that seals the deal. The mileage really isn't much of a deal breaker- 54k isn't a lot of miles, in my opinion, and worst case scenario a replacement motor is a couple hundred bucks and an afternoon at a pick-a-part. Off the top of my head we've not seen a successful auto->manual conversion on a Goblin (wiring is as much of a challenge as hardware) so the auto trans is more likely to be accompanied by regret.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Welcome. Your personal preference will be the deciding factor, but many builders would choose a manual over an automatic. The difference in mileage between these two donors is not that large - not enough that one engine will be better over the other (in my opinion). Save the $600 and buy the manual, your inner child will thank you with the fun factor. :p

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Resale may be easier with a manual. In hindsight I would have bought a junkyard car 1k (for parts) a new motor 2k , trans 1k and gone with a standalone ecu 1k.

Goblin Graber

Only for enjoyment and no race track time? I would go automatic all the way. That’s what I did. I’m as big of a gear head as anyone else and I don’t see the need for a manual on a street car anymore. From a stoplight with some tuning of the auto trans should smoke a manual. The shift from 1 to 2 is almost instant in any video of someone getting on their goblin.

If I want to bang gears I’ll just jump on one of my bikes.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Resale may be easier with a manual. In hindsight I would have bought a junkyard car 1k (for parts) a new motor 2k , trans 1k and gone with a standalone ecu 1k.
May I ask if you know of a website where I can see what engine and transmission are available and cost?

Jareth

Goblin Guru
So took a ride to take a look at the one with the 5 Speed.

I suspect a little wash and the engine would look brand new, no degreaser needed.

I brought cash for the price listed on their web page plus the sales tax, and they tried tacking on $1,268.10 in additional fees.

I wanted to tell him to Pound Sand, but I bit my tongue, thanked him for his time and walked out.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
WTHeck! I would have walked away, since all of those fees - other than the tax - is not paid to anyone other than themselves. $1000 in bogus fees is BS. I would have tore up the contract at that point and let him keep the car.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
I did walk away, and you may see from photo I crumpled up the quote in front of him.

Sent an email to the other stealer (dealer) to check on his out the door price?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
The nice thing about Cobalts (for us, at least) is, it can look like it's been through hell, we don't care, as long as it runs like a champ!

20190823_182012.jpg

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Desert Sasquatch, I see your from a Arizona also, I’m in Naples Florida right now but we still have a house in San Tan Valley. We plan on moving back in a few years. I really miss the Saturday Cruise Nights in Scottsdale.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I live in Laveen currently, but will be moving to Queen Creek before Halloween this year - having a house built. Love the Arizona weather and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. :D

Jareth

Goblin Guru
I have to assume that a two door and a four door have the same exact parts that we need as a donor? Correct?

Guess the four door would have a longer wiring harness that would need to adjusted when being thinned out?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
No differences between the sedan and coupe for our purposes (though parting out a turbo sedan will get you eviscerated by the Facebook kiddos).

We don't use anything from the door harness connectors onward.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Sorry did not mean anything regarding harness in respect to the doors, I thought the front to rear aspects of the harness would be longer on a four door.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Don't let the difference in the mileage scare you. Our engine had 116K and looked like new inside and has MANY more miles left in it. It depends heavily on how well it was taken care of.

Buying from a dealer to tear apart the car is probably not the best route. They are out to make the most buck off of you. Find something wrecked or not attractive. The deals are out there if you give it time.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Sorry did not mean anything regarding harness in respect to the doors, I thought the front to rear aspects of the harness would be longer on a four door.
I believe he understood you. The only part of the car's harness that is used is from the front doors and forward. Very little that goes to the rear; the brake lights and turn signal. But not even worth mentioning as many other parts of the harness are modified and the extra length would only make it easier.