My Donor got wet...

PaulPerger

Well. This sucked. I finally got done with our back yard renovation and was supposed to get to start working on my Goblin when Fort Lauderdale saw record rain that closed FLL Airport and interstate highways. My neighborhood's drainage system drains into the same main drain as the airport and the highway and needless to say, when an international airport is shut down, their drains were opened long before ours were.

On a positive note, we didn't suffer damage like many of our neighbors. Our home is one of the highest on our block and while we got water in our home, we were able to get it out quickly and we were able to avoid major loss.

The Cobalt however tried to become a boat. I literally tied it to the house so it wouldn't float away! I had already begun major disassembly and there were several holes where water could get into the car. The trunk was FULL of water and the battery was fully submerged. The shifter area and all of those electronics were also wet, though not submerged. I have spent the past three weeks repairing the light damage in the house and back yard, but I spent a day cleaning out the donor early on. It is now completely dry.

Now that it is bone dry again... I plan to buy a new battery this week and try to fire it up on the weekend. If you are a praying person or a sender of good vibes or whatever, I would appreciate all the good juju I can get this weekend that this baby starts!

I thought I would come here and ask for advice on what to look for and potentially how to fix what might be common issues. I also have a big question about the computer bits near the shifter that got wet. Could damage to that unit prevent the car from even starting? Having never dealt with water damage, what are some things to absolutely check out?

Joebob

Goblin Guru
  • Check or change the oil as water could get inside and corrode or hydrolock the system. Water sinks so cracking the drain plug would show water first
  • It has been noted that the BCM (computer near the shifter) does not like water as it is not sealed. make sure it is Very dry before starting.
  • Check the intake system for water or debris to not get sucked up into the engine on startup.
  • Later on if it is a keeper is to clean out the clutch area and change tranny fluid. Long ago posts showed a flooded car and the corrosion in the tranny area was hidden and extensive.
I would ask yourself how much you love this car as the wiring changes are stressfull enough on a car's best day to be gremlin free. ( I had my fair share on a clean california car) Maybe a home insurance policy write off might be the best course of action as corroding wiring and connectors could be a never ending battle of frustration. Texas will not title a car that used parts from a flooded vehicle (and for good reasons)

Joe

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
My bet is that if the BCM or ECM got submerged, it's shot. If the fusebox got submerged, it's probably shot. If your wiring is still intact, see if the modules will connect with a scan tool that will connect with both BCM and ECM.

PaulPerger

What is the computer part located by the shifter?

The ECU is by the fusebox in the engine bay.
The BCM is located under the center console on the passenger side.
What is the computer part under the center console between the shifter and e-brake handle?

PaulPerger

What is the computer part located by the shifter?

The ECU is by the fusebox in the engine bay.
The BCM is located under the center console on the passenger side.
What is the computer part under the center console between the shifter and e-brake handle?
14 Google Searches later I found my answer... it is the Airbag Control Module. Good news. I don't need it for the Goblin.

But will the car still start if I disconnect it?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would try to start it with it plugged in. You would have to check a wiring diagram to see if it would disrupt anything critical to unplug it. I would expect it would only affect data wires to unplug it, but I don't know how the data is wired through it. I can't think of anything that it is likely to hurt if it is ruined but left in place. Maybe not impossible that it would short voltage to the data network, but not likely.

PaulPerger

• Check or change the oil as water could get inside and corrode or hydrolock the system. Water sinks so cracking the drain plug would show water first
  • It has been noted that the BCM (computer near the shifter) does not like water as it is not sealed. make sure it is Very dry before starting.
  • Check the intake system for water or debris to not get sucked up into the engine on startup.
  • Later on if it is a keeper is to clean out the clutch area and change tranny fluid. Long ago posts showed a flooded car and the corrosion in the tranny area was hidden and extensive.
I would ask yourself how much you love this car as the wiring changes are stressfull enough on a car's best day to be gremlin free. ( I had my fair share on a clean california car) Maybe a home insurance policy write off might be the best course of action as corroding wiring and connectors could be a never ending battle of frustration. Texas will not title a car that used parts from a flooded vehicle (and for good reasons)

Joe
I will definitely crack the drain plug and see if any water comes out. I don't think there will be any water in the engine as water didn't get high enough to get in. That photo shows water at its highest point. So, unless it seeped in somewhere I don't think that will be an issue. It ran great 3 months ago so I doubt there is a seep worthy crack somewhere. When I pull the engine it will get a very thorough going through. Looking under the car, I do not see any rust.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Maybe need to separate the motor transmission before everything rust solid. And drain the transmission since it has possible entry points lower than the engine. And the seals are more likely to allow water entry.

Cnixon160

the only modules that will interrupt the ignition process are the ECU, BCM, and fuse box. The ECU is fully sealed and waterproof, the fuse box is much higher than the water line shown, the BCM is however in danger in the posted photo. You can disconnect the airbag module or leave it connected whichever you prefer, as stated the fluids should be checked for water entry but otherwise you should be good to go

PaulPerger

Dug into it this morning before taking Kenna to dance class...

For Reference, the blue line shows the highest water level inside the car where the BCU is located... Just below the actual circuit board, yet rust traveled all the way up that mounting bracket.

BUT. The BCU was Dry. No visible corrosion in either of the pin connections.

Everything under the hood looked great. (I forgot to take photos).

So, on the way home I picked up a new battery... BTW Shout out to Autozone... They replaced my flood damaged battery free of charge due
to warranty!! I even straight up told them it was flood damaged. "If it will not take a charge, we replace it if it is less than three years old." Woot Woot!!

I got home, checked for water in the oil pan (again, forgot to shoot a video or take photos...), and found only oil!! . Replaced all the connectors, double checked everything and I'll be darned, she started right up!!

Start after Flood Video

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Don't forget the transmission. The vent is on top of the transmission and if water got into it there will be corrosion. Also the clutch/flywheel is not sealed and it too can become corroded.