My Montana plates arrived!

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
You did a outstanding job. What primer did you use on it,
Did you make your wing or buy one I need to get one And I like yours

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
For those who have used Montana, is there any disadvantage or gotcha's you wish you would have known ahead of time?

What are the recurring costs for the vehicle + maintaining the LLC? (property taxes, annual business registration etc.)

Does the LLC add additional work / cost during tax prep time? I'd imagine you're able to write off depreciation / gas etc. but there's no actual business behind it so you'd be losing money indefinitely as long as you write off expenses. I know losing money forever is possible but I don't want to trigger an audit (I know I could just not write anything off).

Was it more difficult to get insured?

RouteAbel

For those who have used Montana, is there any disadvantage or gotcha's you wish you would have known ahead of time?

What are the recurring costs for the vehicle + maintaining the LLC? (property taxes, annual business registration etc.)

Does the LLC add additional work / cost during tax prep time? I'd imagine you're able to write off depreciation / gas etc. but there's no actual business behind it so you'd be losing money indefinitely as long as you write off expenses. I know losing money forever is possible but I don't want to trigger an audit (I know I could just not write anything off).

Was it more difficult to get insured?
I dont have any direct experience but did read where Georgia was starting to go after exotic car owners who were registering in Montana to avoid taxes.

Oldchevyguy

I decided to mount the front license plate on my Goblin. Montana has two. I was going to use just the rear, but I am in NY state summers and the front plate might make the police more comfortable with this unconventional looking vehicle. See pictures.
20200528_101657.jpg
20200528_161339.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
The motorcycle crowd and trailer guys get away with putting them sideways, angled, and almost folded.
Texas has the front plate requirement as well. Like anyone ever leaves the scene going backwards....
If your present solution does not work, try two adel clamps on the upper a-arm. Might need a loose zip tie to the lower arm to keep it from swinging back.

KSLunsfo

Copying this from where I originally posted it on Lechlis' build thread. Thought I'd throw it in the most recent Montana related thread.

For anyone that's gone with the Montana route option, did you need your donor car at all during the registration process? I have someone interested in my shell and I would really like it out of my way if I won't truly need it. Or if anyone reading this that did NOT do the Montana route and DID or DID NOT need the donor shell during registration, that would also be great info to know.

I'm a good ways from the registration process still, but thinking I may be pursing the Montana route and possibly transferring to my state the following year. I'm guessing that could end up being simpler than trying to register here from the beginning.

Thanks.

Lechlis

Copying this from where I originally posted it on Lechlis' build thread. Thought I'd throw it in the most recent Montana related thread.

For anyone that's gone with the Montana route option, did you need your donor car at all during the registration process? I have someone interested in my shell and I would really like it out of my way if I won't truly need it. Or if anyone reading this that did NOT do the Montana route and DID or DID NOT need the donor shell during registration, that would also be great info to know.

I'm a good ways from the registration process still, but thinking I may be pursing the Montana route and possibly transferring to my state the following year. I'm guessing that could end up being simpler than trying to register here from the beginning.

Thanks.
I got rid of my donor in last fall. I never even registered it in my name.

All Montana wanted from me was the MCO (I had DF reprint it with the LLC name on it to save myself the BoS step below), a VIN verification (Just a few things to fill in and then signed by a local police officer), and a cheesy inspection sheet that can be filled out without a notary, etc.

If the MCO has your name on it, then simply add the Bill of Sale form showing that you sold the kit car to the LLC.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
@KSLunsfo I just sent my papers to MT today actually. The VIN inspection process was a nightmare to say the least, I'll be writing a full detailed how-to (go the MT route bc NC is insufferable) after I get my plates.

To address your question with some details, with the License and Theft guys in NC - they took their job too seriously and I would not have been able to make any progress without having the donor titled / registered in my name while going through the process (cost me $200) and I had to have the physical donor title in my packet to make any progress going the NC route (which takes weeks nowadays). Even when I went the MT route with my LLC on the MCO they took copies of my driver's license, Cobalt bill of sale, and Cobalt title docs. They then wrote on the MT vin inspection form (MV20) that my car wouldn't be street legal in NC bc the state didn't recognize the Goblin VIN...just to make life more difficult. In short, it's probably not worth it. Get her legal and then offload it.

Under no circumstances should you go the MT route with your actual name on the MCO. You must use your LLC and have Adam fill out an odometer disclosure statement while you're at it.

Lechlis

@KSLunsfo I just sent my papers to MT today actually. The VIN inspection process was a nightmare to say the least, I'll be writing a full detailed how-to (go the MT route bc NC is insufferable) after I get my plates.

To address your question with some details, with the License and Theft guys in NC - they took their job too seriously and I would not have been able to make any progress without having the donor titled / registered in my name while going through the process (cost me $200) and I had to have the physical donor title in my packet to make any progress going the NC route (which takes weeks nowadays). Even when I went the MT route with my LLC on the MCO they took copies of my driver's license, Cobalt bill of sale, and Cobalt title docs. They then wrote on the MT vin inspection form (MV20) that my car wouldn't be street legal in NC bc the state didn't recognize the Goblin VIN...just to make life more difficult. In short, it's probably not worth it. Get her legal and then offload it.

Under no circumstances should you go the MT route with your actual name on the MCO. You must use your LLC and have Adam fill out an odometer disclosure statement while you're at it.
This is honestly interesting. I literally didn't provide any personal or donor info.... My name only appeared twice, I believe, when I signed the form as "Landon Nester, Member".

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I went to 5 different DMVs and have had 3 License & Theft guys (one being a Lieutenant) look at the Gob and had a different experience every time... It's obvious there's no SOP for these. Glad you got a good one in VA!

How many days did you wait from sending out docs to receiving a plate?

Lechlis

I went to 5 different DMVs and have had 3 License & Theft guys (one being a Lieutenant) look at the Gob and had a different experience every time... It's obvious there's no SOP for these. Glad you got a good one in VA!

How many days did you wait from sending out docs to receiving a plate?
It was exactly 5 weeks from the day they submitted the paperwork to the MT DMV to the day I had them in hand

KSLunsfo

SHEESH!!

I really hate it's been such a nightmare for you, also really concerns me obviously. What also kind of stinks is that it seems like it could also just come down to who you end up working with. So many unknowns here... I'm in the same state and could possibly have a completely different experience than you being in a different city too. But who here has a crystal ball...? Wish I did. Not only do different states have their different regulations but so do cities. Some of the more rural cities don't require emissions inspections for instance (referring to every day cars, not necessarily a Goblin).

Oldchevyguy

I had no problems as you described. I did send the doner title (in my name) to the Montana company.(all day $49 Montana LLC).
I had a Florida sheriff do the VIN check. No problems. They have no right to write anything like "this vehicle is not legal in this state" to paraphrase. Their duty is to LOOK AT THE VIN ON THE CAR AND SIGN OFF THAT ITS RIGHT! It does help that you show them the Certificate of Manufacture. They like to see your name on it. My Montana process was easy, and I am about to buy a Moterhome and register it that way too. NO SALES TAX YOU KNOW!

MisterDave

Has anyone been pulled over with Montana plates? I’m just wondering how that conversation would go. I imagine the cop would ask why you have a local license and out of state plates.

Ross

Goblin Guru
If a Montana company has a sales person in each state, can't they give each sales person a company car?