My new project

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I’ve enjoyed building my Goblin and I’m nearing its completion. I got a wild hair and looked through marketplace and saw a project that was interesting. Turned out, it was a bigger project than I wanted, but it got me thinking…and looking. So, after driving from coastal NC to near Talladega, AL yesterday to look it over, I’m now in western KY visiting family and getting a title since NC is so difficult to transfer from a vintage car from AL.

So here it is. It’s a driver, but has lots of potential for improvements. It currently has a 350 and four speed manual. It also has drum brakes at all 4 corners and no power steering. Interior is ok, but nothing to get excited about. Plan is to drive it and upgrade as funds allow.

So, after that long background, here it is…

1957 Chevy Bel Air Sedan

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
everyone’s dream. :cool:

what’s your plan?
First step is getting a local expert to give it a thorough exam to make sure there is nothing big to fix.
Then brakes and steering upgrade and possibly a C4 Corvette suspension swap.
The engine is ok but nothing to get excited about so there’s always the possibility of upgrading there too.

I want to make it something I can drive reliably and hit the cruise ins and cars and coffee. I would love to go all out on detailing like I did on the Goblin, but that can get too pricey too fast.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
As much as ls swaps are overdone, it’s really hard to beat the power and reliability at a minimal price point.

disc brakes and modern suspension will just put the icing on the cake. Plus, you won’t lose a dime on it, even not being stock. Unless you are going 100% original, then make it yours.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
SWEEEEET!!!!! A 210 deluxe with all the chrome. I've owned a '57 coupe a looonnng time ago (high school days). Everyone has done LS swaps, I'd go old school and drop in a healthy 383 with EFI, will give plenty of torque to get the old girl moving. Keep the 4 speed as long as its a Muncie and go with as low a rear end ratio as you can stand - 3.70 or 3.90. Disc brakes from a later '60s A body or G body will bolt in with the a-arms (which would need a little mount tweaking) and rear disc conversions are not too bad $ nowadays. I'm sooo envious!!! :D

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Probably an early add on will be figuring out how to get a back up cam without it looking like a duct tape install.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
There’s all kinds of stuff, once you look. Little bullet cameras that tuck away easily. visor, rear view mirror or even radio head unit for monitors. Even more small and compact would be motorcycle stuff.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
SWEEEEET!!!!! A 210 deluxe with all the chrome. I've owned a '57 coupe a looonnng time ago (high school days). Everyone has done LS swaps, I'd go old school and drop in a healthy 383 with EFI, will give plenty of torque to get the old girl moving. Keep the 4 speed as long as its a Muncie and go with as low a rear end ratio as you can stand - 3.70 or 3.90. Disc brakes from a later '60s A body or G body will bolt in with the a-arms (which would need a little mount tweaking) and rear disc conversions are not too bad $ nowadays. I'm sooo envious!!! :D
Tremec TKX 5 speed if you want OD without hacking up the tunnel

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Made it back to NC with no issues. I was really impressed with my 'little' GMC Canyon. Towed the 57 from Talladega to KY to visit family the back to coastal NC and averaged 15.3 mpg while towing.
Out of curiosity, any idea on the total weight of car and trailer? My taco didn't like towing the goblin on a 2200lb U-Haul trailer. At least anywhere over 60mph.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Car should be around 3500 lbs and trailer is about 2200. I set the cruise at 70 and it did a pretty good job maintaining that speed unless it was a steep hill. Truck is a 2017 Canyon 4wd with the 2.8 baby Duramax and a compliant tune. Every with 33s on it, I average 25 mpg daily driving. Was averaging just under 30 mpg before I lifted it.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Question for the brain trust here...I want to add power steering to the 57, but I'm not a fan of adding a pump and such. I like the electric power steering in my truck and in the Goblin so I'd like to go that route. I've only found one company and it's expensive so I was thinking about the Saturn Vue units a few people are using in the Goblin. Could that be made to run w/o a BCM using the rheostat for sensitivity adjustments?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes the 2002-2007 Saturn Vue steering with an aftermarket controller is a stand alone unit.
I wouldn't mount the ECU for the power steering outside the firewall, unless it is in a waterproof container. My Cobalt unit died when I got rain on it.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You will have to confirm whether the torque output of the VUE steering will work with a non rack & Pinion setup on a heavier vehicle. I guess there is a decent chance it will work with a existing non power steering gear box.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
You will have to confirm whether the torque output of the VUE steering will work with a non rack & Pinion setup on a heavier vehicle. I guess there is a decent chance it will work with a existing non power steering gear box.
I did see where some were using truck electronic units. I haven't researched those yet as far as adjustability, but they should handle the heavier vehicle.