My new project

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Might not matter with a manual steering box, but you might have to move the steering wheel more than you want if you don't change the box.

I would just add a pump an swap out the gear box. There has to be kits available.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Might not matter with a manual steering box, but you might have to move the steering wheel more than you want if you don't change the box.

I would just add a pump an swap out the gear box. There has to be kits available.
Existing kits are cheaper but it looks like all of them have their drawbacks including reduced clearance with the engine.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The tri-5s have the engine mounts at the front of the engine and not at the sides like all GM cars after 1958. The front mounts create interference for mounting things like PS pumps and AC compressors without some modifications. The frame rails are also slightly tighter to the engine than later models and the steering box (recirculating ball) is squeezed in between - so a physically larger steering box may be too tight as indicated. An EPS would be great idea, if you can find one that can work with the stock manual steering box - should just be a matter of matching steering joint spline counts and welding up a steering shaft.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
The tri-5s have the engine mounts at the front of the engine and not at the sides like all GM cars after 1958. The front mounts create interference for mounting things like PS pumps and AC compressors without some modifications. The frame rails are also slightly tighter to the engine than later models and the steering box (recirculating ball) is squeezed in between - so a physically larger steering box may be too tight as indicated. An EPS would be great idea, if you can find one that can work with the stock manual steering box - should just be a matter of matching steering joint spline counts and welding up a steering shaft.
There is an aftermarket eps, but it must be gold plated as they want $1500 for it and you have to cut and modify the stock box’s input shaft.
Another option I’m wanting to do is change to side mount engine mounts that shift the engine 3/4” forward which helps with firewall clearance too.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
You really don't want to convert tri-5's to side mounts unless you also put the rear mount under the tailshaft, as the only other mounts on a stock tri-5 are at the bell housing. Those, along with side engine mounts will have the engine/trans teetering in use.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Finally had a chance to tinker with the 57 today and replaced vacuum lines and a vacuum plug. That brought the idle down where it was close to where it’s supposed to be. Checked the tires and I think they were installed many, many years ago. Minor cracking in the sidewalls but no date code. Since the car was reportedly “restored” in the 90s, I assume they are that old. New ones will be ordered soon.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
First part on the 57 has been bought and installed - a new vented gas cap. The old one didn’t seal well.

Replaced the single vacuum line and the pcv line and my high idle and run on issues are solved.

Ordered three point seat belts for the front and rear. Started installing today and they make me miss working on the Goblin. Very vague directions. I spent most of the day installing the shoulder harness for the passenger side. Most of that time was verifying how to take stuff apart without breaking or going to get a tool.

New tires will be here Thursday.

Engine leaks oil. Can’t tell if it from the intake, valve cover, rear seal or somewhere else.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ugh, Those old small blocks like to leak. Cork valve cover gaskets, rtv front and rear intake gaskets, cork pan gaskets and 2 piece rear main. just work your way around fixing little by little and it’ll leak less than normal. :D Don’t over tighten the cork. Hell. Hopefully over the years, there have been updates to those old gaskets.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The early SBCs (the 265/283/327s with the oil filler tube/vent cap in the intake manifold) are like a Harley-Davidsons, if it's not leaking/dripping oil then its low on oil. ;)

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Haven't done much to the Belair yet. Still installing seat belts - much more difficult than I expected, but making progress when I actually do work on it. Ordered new rubber w/ steel insert valve cover gaskets and a smaller breather to temporarily fix a clearance issue with the wiper motor.

I decided it needs a 5 speed. 4th gear and 2700 rpm at highway speeds just isn't for me. Especially when almost no one limits themselves to highway speeds any more. The tkx Karl suggested is pricey, but will make it more enjoyable to drive.

As for the engine, I think I'm going retro-resto-mod. It has a 350 that seems strong enough and seems healthy so I can't justify to myself to do a complete swap yet. But I came across a reasonable deal on an old Tuned Port Injection system. Yes, there are much better systems available. But TPI was all the rage in my formative teenage hot rod years. And it's still hard to beat the eye appeal w/o going to a 6-71 through the hood. FiTech makes a standalone ECU system for the TPI now that at least gets the tuning up to modern standards. You can't make great hp with TPI since they don't breath well above 5500 rpm, but it's a street car and there won't be much time above 5500 rpm. And the bottom end torque of the TPI is impressive.

If there's interest, I'll document the changes here. This forum is still a great place for sharing of info and ideas in spite of the recent rise of a Goblin antagonist.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
When I was at coffee and cars about 3 years ago, there was an old hot rod there sporting the TPI. I was like o_O You could tell it was an old build looking at the old paint, tpi, wheels and such. It was cool to see and remind us of how far we have come with just about everything in the automotive world.

if you can pick up the setup fairly cheap, I say run with it. They are stupid simple systems. I worked on a ton of them in my dealer days.

keep the info coming. Can’t beat that old iron.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Finally finished installing the front seat belts in the 57. Man...I had forgotten how much of a pain dealing with interior trim panels is. Working on the Goblin spoiled me. New 16" steering wheel, steering wheel bushing, and a replacement arm rest are on order along with factory assembly and service manuals.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Found another issue last night…small leak where the heater hose enters the heater at the firewall. Didn’t have patience to check it last night so not sure if it’s hose related or heater related. I’ll probably just bypass the heater since it’s warming up.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Haven't done much to the '57 besides cleaning and accumulating parts. Ordered and received a front disc brake conversion and also ordered a chrome dual master cylinder. I'm currently polishing the aluminum wheels since it looks like they haven't been touched in many years. Once the wheels are back on the rear, I'll start with the brake conversion. I also hope to pick up a wc T5 from a Camaro this evening. It came out of a wreck so condition is unknown, but price was good.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Haven’t really done anything to this project other than drive it some. I’ve accumulated a few parts but haven’t installed anything yet. I want the Goblin to sell first and open up some room. I did come across a rare find this weekend…an 86 Corvette TPI unit complete with upgraded runners and throttle body, TPI spacer, and HEI for a deal.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Haven’t really done anything to this project other than drive it some. I’ve accumulated a few parts but haven’t installed anything yet. I want the Goblin to sell first and open up some room. I did come across a rare find this weekend…an 86 Corvette TPI unit complete with upgraded runners and throttle body, TPI spacer, and HEI for a deal.
That's the "Cease Fire" injection system? Oh!! TPI, My faulty old memory is showing. Those TPI units were excellent and with just a few tweaks and you've listed them all. I had a 97 Camaro with the LT1 and there was a little aluminum butterfly that helped smooth out inlet on the front of the TB, I could feel the difference! I've helped on many installs, most of the problems were with the dash in the way of the HEI. Oh and various "stupid wiring tricks". You know, wiring mods/ add ons that "just seemed like they should work"! "Cut this sensor out and twist the wires together". WHAAAA?? Some folks just have to make this stuff more complicated than it actually is! If Someone has really cut into the wiring, source a replacement kit, "too many cooks spoil the soup". My advice is get one company's wiring kit(method) and run with it.