My other project 68 Camaro LS3 Engine Swap

Jareth

Goblin Guru
So I'm now here on DF Kit Car Forum because I recently finished my other project, a LS3 Engine Swap into a 1968 Camaro. Took me about a year and a half but there was a lot of downtime in between, mostly because of the Florida heat. Here are some various pics and a video of the first start.

Day I bought it and left it for a few years..

I then got the board and added duel webers and 3 into 1 headers. Got a lot of attention and three trophies at local car shows, mostley because it was unusal and different.

Fast forward another 5 years and wanted to make a big change :)

And here is a short video of the First Start and quickly checking for leaks.

Real Happy with how and turned out and the seance of accomplishment I have, because lets be real I'm only a Backyard Mechanic that can bolt Sh#t together.

It's only been a little over a month and I allready have 5K+ miles on her with a smile from ear to ear evertime I put my foot in it.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Very nice.

I have a 68 Vette that was my dad's since 1978. I'm afraid that I'm looking at having to do something different in the engine bay. The original 427 is long gone, replaced by a 396, and most recently a 454. I can't decide if I want to go back to a built 427, refresh the 454, or just do an LS swap.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Chad, if that 68 had a factory 427, I believe you are obligated as the heir to your father to put a 427 back in it. That is the right thing to do for a first year C3. :D

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
So I'm now here on DF Kit Car Forum because I recently finished my other project, a LS3 Engine Swap into a 1968 Camaro. Took me about a year and a half but there was a lot of downtime in between, mostly because of the Florida heat. Here are some various pics and a video of the first start.

Day I bought it and left it for a few years.

I then got the board and added duel webers and 3 into 1 headers. Got a lot of attention and three trophies at local car shows, mostley because it was unusal and different.

Fast forward another 5 years and wanted to make a big change :)

And here is a short video of the First Start and quickly checking for leaks.

Real Happy with how and turned out and the seance of accomplishment I have, because lets be real I'm only a Backyard Mechanic that can bolt Sh#t together.

It's only been a little over a month and I allready have 5K+ miles on her with a smile from ear to ear evertime I put my foot in it.
I'm so jealous. You did a great job with the LS3 conversion and with 5000 miles on it already you did it right! Wish I still had my 68 SS 396.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
The other thing I like about the LS3 is the 25 miles to a gallon that I got driving back from the Daytona Turkey Run. Typically around town I’ve been getting 18-20 per gallon.

The last 68 Camaro I had 30 years ago was a 396 SS/RS that I got 8 miles to a gallon.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The other thing I like about the LS3 is the 25 miles to a gallon that I got driving back from the Daytona Turkey Run. Typically around town I’ve been getting 18-20 per gallon.

The last 68 Camaro I had 30 years ago was a 396 SS/RS that I got 8 miles to a gallon.
Try a poorly tuned 454 with a 10 gallon tank!

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Build an LS3 out to 427 CID, then technically you would still be putting a 427 back in the Vette. A much cleaner, crisper, more responsive, and economical 427....

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Hydra-Matic 4L65-E Four-Speed Automatic Transmission – LS-Series V-8
• Similar in design to the 4L60-E
• Electronically controlled four-speed overdrive transmission
• Features four-pinion gearsets, heat-treated stator shaft splines, induction-hardened turbine shaft, seven-plate 3.4 clutch
• Gear ratios: 1st: 3.06, 2nd: 1.62, 3rd: 1.00, 4th: 0.70
• Use SuperMatic™ converter for direct bolt up to Gen I and Gen II engines
• Add up to 430 lb.-ft. torque