Naive Questions about the L61 Engine

SwerveMonkey

In my research to better understand the donor engine I have, and subsequent future upgrade paths I might have available, I am not seeing a lot of info related to the 2.2 L61 ecotec. Is this a poor engine to build upon? Are there simply not a lot of them that have been built upon? or is it that this particular engine was the runt of the liter for the family of engines in the Cobalt?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Well, GM has the 2.2 liter engine as there mass made economy engine for this car. The SS engines were their higher output sports engines, made stronger with more potential for power. There is talk about the engines in this thread. Tinkles says his L61 should be good for 600+ hp, so there is a path to making HP.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Here's another interesting video from Cleetus for a Cobalt 2.2 NA using an electric turbocharger. It's very entertaining, but has some surprising results for actual WHP.

Tinkles

Tinkles says his L61 should be good for 600+ hp, so there is a path to making HP.
Yep. The only weak points in my L61 are the OEM diameter head studs and the open deck block. GM has built L61s up to over 1000hp for their drag racing program. I am pretty sure I have all the specs listed in the beginning of my build thread for my L61.

Yes it is the weakest of the family, but can still hold 250-270whp without issue in stock form. There are forged rods and pistons available, better cams, larger valves, and basically everything else you could need.

Attachments

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Your donor is a 2008, so you should have the stronger Gen 2 block, improved head, and an ECU that will work with HPTuners. I'm starting with the same engine and already have a plan for more power after I can benchmark the NA configuration.