Need a bit of help convincing wife to build

Proneto911

Hey there guys, new to the forum. I stumbled across the Goblin while looking at the Ariel Atom (way out of budget) I currently have a motorcycle that I don't really use and thinking about selling it to get the goblin or at lest the first stage. Wife ok'd building a car but after explaining what a kit car is she's at a 80-20 saying no. she doesn't like the openness and worried about the safety of the Goblin. I tried to tell her about the roll bar and the safety harnesses but doesn't like the fact that if you get into a crash there's debris that can hit you. pretty much told her you'll get debris reguardless because of things we bring along with us in the cars. and if yo roll in a car an airbag is only for the initial imact not the duration of the car rolling. So any help I can get to start this project in a few years. needs to be reputable sources not forums and Joe Racecar said this need actual data.

this may be all for nothing but figure I try this first did a little research but haven't real

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
You said you already had a motorcycle. So, she was OK with that? Two wheels. No roll cage. No harness. Smaller. Faster. Less visible.

How is going to a Goblin a move in the "less safe" direction?

Disclaimer: I am a biased Goblin owner. :)

Proneto911

Where are you located?
Currently in Illinois in the suburbs

You said you already had a motorcycle. So, she was OK with that? Two wheels. No roll cage. No harness. Smaller. Faster. Less visible.

How is going to a Goblin a move in the "less safe" direction?

Disclaimer: I am a biased Goblin owner. :)
I got it before I met her (still have it) so she had no choice to accept it. She has little working knowledge of cars as in she knows how to start and make the car go in he little Prius C she has. She doesn't like the bike either and would like it gone too.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The driver is the main factor into what makes a car or motorcycle safe or dangerous.
You have enough common sense to drive your motorcycle,
that same skill is now moving over to a safer Goblin.
You need to be you. Driving motorcycle, downhill skiing, unicycling, or driving a Goblin makes me feel alive, invigorated.
Living safely, without risk is boring, and doesn't expand your skill and talent.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Start looking at a new replacement for the motorcycle. Let that sink in for a while. Then explain that 4 wheels and a rollbar/cage is far safer, show her the photos from the forum, and that there are far more dangerous (and expensive) hobbies than building a car. :D
BTW, welcome to the forum.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Search the forum to see if there is a local Goblin owner that wouldn't mind a visit and let her ride/drive one. It may not seem so dangerous after cruising around a block or two.

Proneto911

Looked into the legalization briefly for the goblin in Illinois. sadly unless I can just get the title I won't be doing a build. not about to make a Montana LLC and make it legal for $900 on top of everything else. I appreciate all the help until Illinois makes it easier (doubtful greedy bastards)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Looked into the legalization briefly for the goblin in Illinois. sadly unless I can just get the title I won't be doing a build. not about to make a Montana LLC and make it legal for $900 on top of everything else. I appreciate all the help until Illinois makes it easier (doubtful greedy bastards)
The $900 is offset by the fact that you'll pay no sales tax... just fyi.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Currently in Illinois in the suburbs

I got it before I met her (still have it) so she had no choice to accept it. She has little working knowledge of cars as in she knows how to start and make the car go in he little Prius C she has. She doesn't like the bike either and would like it gone too.
Which burb?

JPas914

The $900 will be cheaper than the sales tax and any registration fees you’d have to pay.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
My wife supported me through the project, but after months of me being holed up in the shop, she was starting to show signs of frustration. Then I kept hearing, "and how much has the whole car cost now". I could see serious signs of "you better get this project done soon". Well, we took it to Idaho for a race and the night before, we had the whole family out on a deserted road for testing. She took a ride with our son, and when she got out, she raced over to me, planted a big hug and kiss, and said that is the coolest thing you've ever built and has talked about it non stop with every one we know.

I was sold when I saw video of a Goblin taking a liter bike on the freeway, but even for me, there are no pictures or video that truly do the car justice. The first time you see it on the ground and then take a ride, all of the previous struggles become immaterial.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Honestly, to me, it doesn't seem like the Goblin is the right type of build for you. If you don't have a supportive family and you're worried about a $900 registration fee, this project will not be a pleasant one for you. There's going to be lots of time and money involved that you didn't plan for. That being said, I'm in Janesville WI and I work in Rockford so if you/your wife want a ride to feel it out, I'm not too far away! Half of the autocross events I participate in are also in Rockford so that would be a good time for you to really see what this thing can do.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
I would have to agree with Fozda... I've only seen a couple of builds on here where the builder didn't put any real effort to making their Goblin a show car. And there isn't anything wrong with that... but most builds you see on here are almost works of art. Granted, we aren't Chip Foose level, but pretty darn close. Customizing and tweaking the build to the way you want it is not for the faint of heart/wallet. All those little things add up to a large end of project price tag. Quick example... my wheels and tires may cost as much as my donor car. :eek:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
The $$$ do add up quick. I OK'd $15k with my Financial Advisor (aka my wife) for this project and I'm well past that, probably around $18k now with another $1k coming at least. Having to buy a second donor didn't help.