Need help buying from IAAI

Prop Job

I posted this in the sticky thread at the top but figured it'd get more visibility with it's own thread.

I'm not seeing IAA cars show up on abetterbid. Have they ceased their partnership or am I doing something wrong? There seems to be a better selection on IAA than on Copart so I'd really like to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Prop Job

Thanks.

The two cars I'm eyeing aren't showing up on any of these brokers either. They are both pre-auction. Could it be that they don't show up on third party sites until they have an auction assigned?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Thanks.

The two cars I'm eyeing aren't showing up on any of these brokers either. They are both pre-auction. Could it be that they don't show up on third party sites until they have an auction assigned?
Probably. Contact one of them and see if they can bid on the cars for you.

Prop Job

Thanks, Joe.

Update for anyone that comes across this in the future, abetterbid only deals with Copart and cars are not listed on salvagebid until they get an auction assigned. This info is directly from the customer service reps for each broker.

Iwanttogofast

I've never dealt at all with IAAI or Copart, but have accounts set up for both since I began watching Cobalts about a year ago (while I was kicking around the idea of building a Goblin). I was/am under the impression that I can bid and deal directly with each - as long as they are "no license required" listed vehicles. Am I wrong? Do I need to deal with some kind of middleman broker? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Copart had info on which states allow direct sales, and which require a licensed broker. Arkansas was a state that allowed me to directly purchase.

PyroGuy923

I've never dealt at all with IAAI or Copart, but have accounts set up for both since I began watching Cobalts about a year ago (while I was kicking around the idea of building a Goblin). I was/am under the impression that I can bid and deal directly with each - as long as they are "no license required" listed vehicles. Am I wrong? Do I need to deal with some kind of middleman broker? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
Depends on the state laws. Some allow private buyers where others need to be through someone with a license.

Iwanttogofast

Getting my ducks in a row for bidding on a Cobalt that is coming up for auction. I'm going through Salvage Bid for an IAAI auction - and I found out how much the ACTUAL charges will be. :oops: What a ripoff!! Everyone has their hands in your pockets on these auctions. Auction fee minimum of $340. Transaction fee of $299 minimum. Documentation fee. Storage fees if you don't pick up within TWO DAYS after the end of the auction. It's more than a little ridiculous that a $500 car can end up costing $1500 real fast - WITHOUT shipping. Rent a trailer, pay for gas, hotel room... $$$

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Keep in mind that selling off the parts from the donor you will not be using can help offset the cost of purchasing the 'right' donor. And $1500 is a bargin...

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
$2k is exactly what I paid for my smashed up 08 SS, delivered to my door - in 2019. In today's market that is definitely a bargain.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I bought my donor through SalvageBid and Iaai. My SS/NA in sweet condition went for $875 at auction and total with shipping was $1750. I have never bought anything at auction and was surprised on how smooth and easy the transaction went. I have also sold $1700 worth of parts and netted all the goodies for the build. I would be more concerned with the quality or value of the car rather than the cost as that can either net a lot of parts to sell or save in having to fix and repair damaged needed parts. Good luck.

Joe