Need help with turbo.

viperbmw69

It's really hard to say what will be safe to run, but definitely NA should be safer than boosted. I would still want HP Tuners to log data or at least the AFR gauge to try and have some idea what the fueling is doing. But you also need to think about what happens with the MAF sensor with the turbo out of the loop and probably lot of other details.

If this was me, I would probably go back and set the car up completely as NA by pulling the turbo, putting an NA intake and exhaust in place and flashing ECM back to stock. Then learn to tune the NA version with HP Tuners. Once you are comfortable tuning NA, then re-install the turbo. Or find someone that can remotely tune the turbo setup. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of trying to make this run without a better idea of what is going on with the baseline of fueling and spark.
Can I use a OBD2 scanner to get the AFR info?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Problem with that is I do not have the stock exhuast or manifold. Said it came with this turbo setup
Should be able find most of what you need at a salvage yard and a DF Exhaust. But again, hard to say without being there.

You could get some idea from narrow band fuel trims through some OBD2 scanners, but it isn't a replacement for a wide bide AFR gauge at wide open or transition throttle. And no way would I try to tune for boost with fuel trims.

viperbmw69

Should be able find most of what you need at a salvage yard and a DF Exhaust. But again, hard to say without being there.

You could get some idea from narrow band fuel trims through some OBD2 scanners, but it isn't a replacement for a wide bide AFR gauge at wide open or transition throttle. And no way would I try to tune for boost with fuel trims.
I see Im having a problem with paying 500 bucks to have a tool to tune and I dont know how to tune. What should I expect to pay a shop to tune it?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I see Im having a problem with paying 500 bucks to have a tool to tune and I dont know how to tune. What should I expect to pay a shop to tune it?
For straight tuning (no fixing of mechanical issues) on Forced Injection, I've seen anywhere from $400 to $1000.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I will add that there may be nothing at all wrong with your tune and just the lack of o2 sensor is your problem. I don't know anything about your particular ECM to know whether it should be able run without the o2.

The problem is, without logging all of the important parameters, even if it "feels" like it is running good, you might be destroying the motor under boost.

viperbmw69

I will add that there may be nothing at all wrong with your tune and just the lack of o2 sensor is your problem. I don't know anything about your particular ECM to know whether it should be able run without the o2.

The problem is, without logging all of the important parameters, even if it "feels" like it is running good, you might be destroying the motor under boost.
I understand. I plan to run it as na to break in and then see if I can get into a shop to tune it. There’s too many thing’s different on the engine to really trust the turbo set yet. I still think it’s over boosting and I need to check my wastegate for proper functioning. Any idea why my boost gauge is reading negative all the time? I assume that means vacuum not boost but not sure how that’s possible since the pressure the frost drive popped the intake boot off “I forgot to tighten it” so I know it’s making boost.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
What are you running for a boost gauge? Electric with remote sensor, or does it have a hose that connects to pressure source and then connects to the gauge?

viperbmw69

What are you running for a boost gauge? Electric with remote sensor, or does it have a hose that connects to pressure source and then connects to the gauge?
It’s a name brand I can’t remember off top of my head. But yea it is a electric with remote vacuum tube

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
For straight tuning (no fixing of mechanical issues) on Forced Injection, I've seen anywhere from $400 to $1000.
ZZP charges $200 per tune which could be 5-20 revisions with test drives. HP Tuners is not required they will send you a laptop and the tuning kit which may be an additional cost. You can find HP Tuners for around $300-$400 if you plan on revising this tune in the future invest in this solution. I have went through ZZP multiple times tuning and they do excellent work. Invest in an AEM Wideband to check AFR ASAP.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I haven't tuned with my HP Tuners yet but being able to pull logs and share them with others who know more about tuning was well worth the price.