New Catch Can

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If you are not familiar with a catch can, they "catch" all of the suspended oil in the crankcase and valve cover venting. Typically they are vented into the intake so it can be burned, however, the oily air can clog up the intake intercooler laminova tubes and cake the back of the valves in direct injection engines. It's best to get rid of this oil if possible.

I started with a blow-through type and then changed my mind only because of personal preference and went with the vented type. So now I have a like-new catch can that has only about 3 rides on it and not a drop of oil in it. My indecisiveness can be your gain. This Moroso unit alone sells for $160. Pictured below is my NEW setup and not the actual item for sale because I didn't think about actually taking a photo of it before I removed it. But the current set up is almost identical other than it has a breather filter on it and not the extra hose to the intake.

For sale is what you see in the top photo. You will have to provide your own hose and will need to modify the mounting bracket if you want to mount it like I did. The bracket in the bag is new and came from my new unit since I re-used my modified mounting hardware.

I'm selling it for $130 shipped (US only).

Iwanttogofast

I have to ask... What is the purpose of a catch can? Can't a breather / filter be used to vent crankcase pressure if the goal is to detach the pcv hose from the intake? I'm asking because I may be interested if I find that I need one.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I have to ask... What is the purpose of a catch can? Can't a breather / filter be used to vent crankcase pressure if the goal is to detach the pcv hose from the intake? I'm asking because I may be interested if I find that I need one.
Re-read the first paragraph lol

Iwanttogofast

It's not super clear. Is the catch can used if you continue to plumb to the intake? If so, my question is still why? A breather / filter vents to atmosphere, which completely eliminates any chance of problems.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I think the idea is that if vented to atmosphere, that will be air that isn't correctly metered by the maf sensor.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You can use just a filter and vent to atmosphere but the filter catches the oil and quickly becomes saturated and can clog. If it clogs, that prevents the venting and will cause an build up if crank pressure and will blow seals.

Especially engines with forced induction, there can be a lot of oil vented, compounded if the engine has poor sealing rings and a lot of wear.

Hope this helps to clear it up a bit.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
My post above may be for a clean side separator. The subject of catch cans is sort of confusing for such a simple device.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
You can use just a filter and vent to atmosphere but the filter catches the oil and quickly becomes saturated and can clog. If it clogs, that prevents the venting and will cause an build up if cranck pressure and will blow seals.

Especially engines with forced induction, there can be a lot of oil vented, compounded if the engine has poor sealing rings and a lot of wear.

and venting, even through a breather, can leave a mess once the breather starts to become saturated.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
It's not super clear. Is the catch can used if you continue to plumb to the intake? If so, my question is still why? A breather / filter vents to atmosphere, which completely eliminates any chance of problems.
This posting - and several others in this same thread - explains the catch can usage and need to have them.

jayrolls

You can use just a filter and vent to atmosphere but the filter catches the oil and quickly becomes saturated and can clog. If it clogs, that prevents the venting and will cause an build up if crank pressure and will blow seals.

Space is a premium, but I was able to add a catch can between the fuel tank and transmission. I can see the sight gauge and should be able to drain easily when needed.

Attachments

Iwanttogofast

This posting - and several others in this same thread - explains the catch can usage and need to have them.
I was just cruising through the classifieds and saw this post. Again, it wasn't super clear and I wasn't sure about different styles and if they vent to atmosphere or back to the intake. Having an LSJ myself, I was simply curious if I needed one.

Desert Sqwatch and Nuker - Please understand that there are many like me who haven't been into this for years, and aren't familiar with everything that you guys have been through and know. We rely on you guys for simple pointers and not to be so judgemental. And this isn't based on this one example. I've had several other Goblin Guru types get short with me about questions. I'm just out here on my own trying to figure this out as I go, and it can be kind of intimidating and overwhelming at times.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
As far as getting "short" sometime people have time to give long answers and sometime they are short. My answers will typically be a lot longer when responding at a computer than on a phone. And sometime people don't actually have any longer answer than they give. And remember that a lot of us may just be keyboard warriors that may or may not really know what we are talking about.

As far as catch cans, that is a much debated car forum subject. Getting one single answer isn't easy. You probably need to do your own research and decide for yourself. For the LNF, I've decided that a catch can on the PCV system is a good idea, but the implementation is expensive and/or a lot of work, so haven't pursued it. I don't know about the LSJ.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Important to note that tone does not convey well across this platform, as well. It's easy to misinterpret someone's post.

Plus, all that makes us "Goblin Gurus" is a certain number of posts. This "Guru" doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground!

Ross

Goblin Guru
My stock LSJ has never dripped oil out of the little air filter I put on the valve cover vent. Once you start overdriving the supercharger, or adding a turbo, you increase boost, and increase crankcase pressure. Then you might start dripping oil out of the crankcase filter - and want a catch can.

The forum often makes it difficult to tell when someone is making a humorous comment vs a serious one. I need to add (sic) or something more often ;)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I was just cruising through the classifieds and saw this post. Again, it wasn't super clear and I wasn't sure about different styles and if they vent to atmosphere or back to the intake. Having an LSJ myself, I was simply curious if I needed one.

Desert Sqwatch and Nuker - Please understand that there are many like me who haven't been into this for years, and aren't familiar with everything that you guys have been through and know. We rely on you guys for simple pointers and not to be so judgemental. And this isn't based on this one example. I've had several other Goblin Guru types get short with me about questions. I'm just out here on my own trying to figure this out as I go, and it can be kind of intimidating and overwhelming at times.
Sorry that some of my short answers may seem 'short' - but are not meant to be. I do most of my posts on a cell phone and keeping the words concise may not come across well. Apologies all around. :)