New Dorman harmonic balancer exploded

Lethalcast

Just put a new dorman harmonic balancer from advance auto parts on the car a few weeks ago and it just exploded on the highway. Caused a bunch of damage to the tank and front cover with some other minor damage to the rad hose, brake line and the belt tensioner.

Last edited:

KSLunsfo

I would absolutely track down a contact at Dorman if you haven't already thought of doing so... Or perhaps advanced auto could do something, but not sure.

KSLunsfo

In this particular application (a goblin), that could have possibly been very dangerous for someone nearby with the engine so exposed.

Lethalcast

Yeah it could have been so much worse. It was literally like a bomb went off. I was getting on the highway and exploded at the top of third.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I agree with DC Money that had to be loud And one of those **** your pants moments. And a big expense for a front cover and all the other parts. Not to mention the tow bill.

Lethalcast

It was extremely loud and violent. I was instantly like oh **** there goes the engine and hit the clutch but then I realized it's still running Haha. I pulled over and realized what had happened and the other half of the balancer was just sitting between the fuel tank and subframe. The balancer sheared all the pieces off so I just drove it home since there was nothing left hanging off of it haha

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Well this is an interestingly timed post. Spent a lot of time researching the ATI damper today and if it was worth the high cost. I think you just answered that for me.

What is your redline set to?

KSLunsfo

I haven't looked if they're available for the ecotecs, but I have a Fluidampr on my turbo eclipse. I have no complaints at all with it.

KLMOTORSPORTS

Well this is an interestingly timed post. Spent a lot of time researching the ATI damper today and if it was worth the high cost. I think you just answered that for me.

What is your redline set to?
Was looking into an ATI damper myself...this one coming apart I think helped some with my future decision...