New Future Goblin Member

jfunk603

Hello all,

I have been lurking in the form for about a year reading up on this kit and have been really interested in this one. I currently looking into picking up a cobalt to start tinkering with and spending some time with the car first with the intention to make it a future donor. From what i have read here is make sure any modifications you would like to do, do it in the car first and make sure the power plant is running before you strip it out.

i currently have my eyes on 06 SS with the 2.4 NA for 1500. the car has 200k on it (High mileage i know). the owner says he as already put forged springs in it for a supper but i don't know all that is needed yet (still reading up on it). Is there any suggestions or tips people would like to make?

Joe

GoblinGal

Goblin Guru
Hello all,

I have been lurking in the form for about a year reading up on this kit and have been really interested in this one. I currently looking into picking up a cobalt to start tinkering with and spending some time with the car first with the intention to make it a future donor. From what i have read here is make sure any modifications you would like to do, do it in the car first and make sure the power plant is running before you strip it out.

i currently have my eyes on 06 SS with the 2.4 NA for 1500. the car has 200k on it (High mileage i know). the owner says he as already put forged springs in it for a supper but i don't know all that is needed yet (still reading up on it). Is there any suggestions or tips people would like to make?

Joe
Hi Joe,

Let me welcome you as a future Goblin Family member of ours! I'm Kimberly, I work in the office at DFKC. I'm not mechanically inclined at all & have been known to say more than once of how "It's all Russian to me!", but I did want to welcome you to our forum. You've come to a great place to find a super supportive network here in our Family. The sheer # of Family members means that you have a huge amount of support & in many cases, these guys (& gals!) can answer questions faster than we're able to in the office.

I'm here to support our Goblin Family & Friends as much as I can. Please feel free to email us (we have 1 incoming email that gets assigned as needed) at [email protected] if we can help in any way. We LOVE our Goblin Family & Friends!

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Welcome! I'd agree, it is generally advisable and easier to have your powertrain running smoothly in the donor before you start the transplant. Whether you do engine mods before or after the build isn't as big of a deal as in the middle of the build, in my opinion.

When you say the potential donor you're looking at has forged springs... do you think that's like suspension coil springs or valvesprings? For a supercharger? Suspension coil springs don't really make sense as being necessary for a supercharger, and valvesprings are not one of the first things I'd do to prep for a supercharger install. Tidbits like that wouldn't necessarily scare me away from that car as a potential donor, but folks have been bitten by donors with hidden surprises, and being told confusing things like that don't particularly inspire confidence.

While the Goblin is probably one of the easiest kit cars out there to build, it does require A) some mechanical knowledge, B) recognizing the limitations of your skillset, or C) a combination of the two. If you can ask good questions with a willingness to learn and understand, this community can get you the rest of the way through a build. Good luck!

jfunk603

Thanks Rauq and gobliGal,

I was a bit confused by his comment as well. I assumed that he was talking about valve springs, but not being that familiar with the motor i don't know if that was a thing.

I guess I'll add a bit of my background for the discussion. I am an electrical engineer by trade, and have been working on cars since i was 5, and spent my time in the service working on C-130 engines. however my car work never had me diving deep into the engine i have only done i would say the "bolt ons" up to and including timing belts and valve cover gaskets (the standard stuff to keep a car running) . I would love to use this experience to further my knowledge and possibly do an engine overhaul/rebuild and get into some tuning as well.

Joe

devianteng

At least in my area of the country, that doesn't sound like a great deal for a donor. For $1800 I got a 2007 SS/SC that had a little rear end damage, but was running. 200k miles is also a lot and I would expect, at a minimum, that you'd want to do some work while the engine was out. Piston rings, rod bearings, timing chain/tensioner, etc. That would easily add $300 to your donor cost, which might instead extend your budget to find a better donor.
But based on area, there may not be may great donors in your budget.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The LE5 is the 2.4L SS in 2006. It is a naturally asperated 173 horsepower engine. There is no supercharger on it, as it came from Chevy. If the engine has had regular oil changes, then I wouldn't worry about a 200K mile engine. I drove my 197K mile LSJ for a year before doing the minimun 2 items of maintenance: Update the timing chain tensioner to a bump top, replace the bolt on the side of the engine with the Dorman 917-954 bolt.

Do a compression check, and then decide when you need a rebuild. You might go 250K or 300K before wanting to rebuild it, and by then, you will have a good idea if you want to do more changes anyway. Justin Reed has modified his LE5 block up into the 600 hp range, so that engine has lots of potential.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
At least in my area of the country, that doesn't sound like a great deal for a donor. For $1800 I got a 2007 SS/SC that had a little rear end damage, but was running. 200k miles is also a lot and I would expect, at a minimum, that you'd want to do some work while the engine was out. Piston rings, rod bearings, timing chain/tensioner, etc. That would easily add $300 to your donor cost, which might instead extend your budget to find a better donor.
But based on area, there may not be may great donors in your budget.
Unfortunately, with the new car market in shambles, the used car market has exploded. Add in that the ecotec is a very desirable swap in a lot of different applications and the sc or tc are getting more and more rare to find. It has made the all these little cars much more expensive than they use to be. I have been looking for another ss/sc just to pull the engine and trans to build for later, but I’m not going to pay the prices I have seen locally this last year or so.

devianteng

Unfortunately, with the new car market in shambles, the used car market has exploded. Add in that the ecotec is a very desirable swap in a lot of different applications and the sc or tc are getting more and more rare to find. It has made the all these little cars much more expensive than they use to be. I have been looking for another ss/sc just to pull the engine and trans to build for later, but I’m not going to pay the prices I have seen locally this last year or so.
Oh I definitely agree with everything you said. I know the market is crazy, but the donor I got I bought just a few months ago. So I know deals are still out there if you are willing to travel a little, and know how to haggle. :)

jfunk603

The market is crazy up here in the north east. i have been looking from ME to PA and finding one that i could drive home for under 2 was almost impossible. HE has it posted for 1500 and i plan on trying to haggle down to 1250

Gtstorey
I understand that a motor with 200k is a very tired engine. I'll be doing compressing testing to determine the health of the engine before looking to do forced induction, and may also at that point just look to strip down and rebuild the motor. Like i said before im looking at this as being a fun learning experience for me. A good friend of mine has rebuilt several miata engines as he owes me since i have taught him the ways of rusty New England cars (blow torch and cussing).

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I know this is going to rustle some jimmies but if you're going through the trouble of tearing down and rebuilding an NA I'd pay up for an SC with lesser miles that's mechanically sound (but maybe wrecked) and rebuild if you feel it's necessary after you've completed your Goblin. Yes, you're eating more cost upfront but the driving experience, platform, and justification for expended efforts and time are more worthwhile. Also, when and if you go to sell it you'll get more for it so the net cost may be less than an NA.

Either way, take your time and enjoy the build!

jbk504

I am new to the forum and investigating donor options too. I found this SS on Copart - 2005 SS with 109,000 miles #65846001. What do these usually sell for? I know there are fees and shipping cost. Just curious what the ending bid might be? I was also curious before I paid any $ for membership.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
This one? https://www.copart.com/lot/65846001

Running, driving and looks decent, I’d pay 2500 or so in this market. Salvage title and needs a minimum of $1k in repairs (if you were to drive it), plus you have to get it home and pay their bs fees, I would be a buyer at $1000 or less, but that’s me. These are getting much harder to find.

jbk504

Yep. That is the one. I am not buying it. I just found it. It seems that the SS are hard to come by and that one had right at 100,000 miles for a SC 2005. It was more curiosity question as I look at more and more of these before I pull the trigger.

Ross

Goblin Guru
That is low mileage for a 2005. I would think it would sell for $1500-2000 range. Just my guess. It is hard to find them in the $1000 range. Of course CoParts adds about $500 to the price, so the auction sale price will not show that extra expense, so bid accordingly.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Before I bought the donor I currently have i bid on that one many times since December only to have the auction canceled and rescheduled 3 times.

I suspect they didn’t have the paperwork yet to be able to release it to auction. On top of what I may or may not have gotten it for it most likely would be 2K to ship it to SWFL.

jbk504

Oh. I am not crazy then. I thought that was the same car. I am watching the bids, auctions, and still learning. I think that one went up to $2000 bid at least once recently and then was reset to zero. It is presently bid at $200. I am guessing there is a very slight chance it goes for $1,000 or under.

jbk504

I was watching it too. There is not a lot of information on their website. I actually called someone a while back to try to better understand the process. You can watch the live auction for free but can’t bid. If a bottom tier member, your “pre bid” is the opening bid at live auction. I have watched a bunch of these including ones that sold in live auction. I don’t think that one sold. It has relisted at least twice.