New gas cap still leaks.

Whidbey Goblin

My car dumps gas out the filler when turning hard to the left. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a better gas cap? Better filler neck with gas cap?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I had that issue too. Turned out it was a loose hose clamp right beside the filler cap.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Are you dumping liquid or smelling gas after the left turn? If you don't have an EVAP system, the Tee to the vent is pretty low in the instructions. You could pool fuel up the filler neck, and force gas into the vent system. Since the cars suck exhaust and engine heat back into the cabin, it does not take much to smell. If you have liquid loss, I would check for leaks on the filler neck hose and vent clamps. The build instructions tell you to hammer out the restriction in the neck, but as I was starting to bend the lip the cap sits on, I left it there with no ill effects so far. The cap os probably fine, the filler neck might be dented and no longer flat. If that is the case, Rockauto sells new ones.

Joe

Whidbey Goblin

Are you dumping liquid or smelling gas after the left turn? If you don't have an EVAP system, the Tee to the vent is pretty low in the instructions. You could pool fuel up the filler neck, and force gas into the vent system. Since the cars suck exhaust and engine heat back into the cabin, it does not take much to smell. If you have liquid loss, I would check for leaks on the filler neck hose and vent clamps. The build instructions tell you to hammer out the restriction in the neck, but as I was starting to bend the lip the cap sits on, I left it there with no ill effects so far. The cap os probably fine, the filler neck might be dented and no longer flat. If that is the case, Rockauto sells new ones.

Joe
It’s dumping gas and I can smell it. I can see it in my mirror coming out the cap. There is no residue around the filler neck, just the cap.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Whidbey, I also have a Cobalt filler neck and cap if you would like to try it. Just pay shipping and I can send it to you - if it works, go ahead and keep it. I won't be using it.

Whidbey Goblin

Whidbey, I also have a Cobalt filler neck and cap if you would like to try it. Just pay shipping and I can send it to you - if it works, go ahead and keep it. I won't be using it.
I appreciate that. I think I’ll set up my GoPro down there and confirm it’s actually coming out the cap before I do anything.