New Jersey title

Bakerboy

Hi there my name is Joe, I am new to the forum and I recently discovered these kid cars online by coincidence and they immediately fell in love with it. I want to buy one already built or I will build my own, I have not decided which is going to be, I’m just a little worried about registering it in New Jersey as they are a pain at DMV, as anyone out there ever titled one in New Jersey?

Ross

Goblin Guru
There is always the Montana route, if New Jersey is being too difficult. So there is a way to get it legally driving on the roads. Hopefully someone has knowledge on the New Jersey route.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru

Pat

Joe, I'm in NJ too and looking into the same details. I found on the NJ MVC site link: NJ MVC | Non-Conventional Vehicles (state.nj.us) what appears to be no requirement to register or title several vehicles which includes 'gas buggies'. I don't have time at the moment to call them to check but if you find out something, let me know please.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Read the first sentence of your link.

I doubt that “exempt from registration and title” will mean that a goblin will be streetable anyway.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Do a google search for gas buggy and they likely mean a gas tank on wheels.

of course we might be considered a go cart.

Pat

Thanks. As I looked closer at it later there was some other info on the page that showed this part is not applicable too. I'll have to do a little more searching and maybe a call.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Be prepared to contact Montana when you get the northeast runaround for trying to register a 'dune buggy', since that seems to be the common mindset explained by the bureaucratic brick wall why your Goblin is not street legal. Hope I'm wrong on this one. :eek: See Ross' reply - he beat me to the punch.

Bakerboy

Joe, I'm in NJ too and looking into the same details. I found on the NJ MVC site link: NJ MVC | Non-Conventional Vehicles (state.nj.us) what appears to be no requirement to register or title several vehicles which includes 'gas buggies'. I don't have time at the moment to call them to check but if you find out something, let me know please.
hi, here is my number just give me a call and we can Share what we have and hopefully joined forces will make it a little easier.
973-670-4152 Joe