New Style SS shift linkage won't reach neutral

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Hey guys, I have an SS/TC and originally had the stock soft engine mounts. Upon installing my transmission shift linkages bracket, I found out from Adam that DF updated their mount design and it does not work with the Cobalt trans mount, I had to buy the solid mount kit in order to use their updated version.

Tonight I tried to install my shift linkages and tunnel and after multiple attempts and deep thought, they don't fit.

I have the transmission and shifter side extended on the adjustment nuts on the line itself. With both extended as far as they can, the threaded rod is no where near the shifter linkage if I attempt to keep the bellcrank perpendicular.

It looks like the shift tunnel and transmission mount brackets need their adjustment points moved a good deal closer in order to use the available linkage.

Anyone have this new linkage and get a better shot than me?

Also, this new design was supposed to put the linkage in a better position but instead of the counterweighted linkage being kinked like the original, the other one is now. Not sure it's any better than the last one?

Attachments

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Maybe, I emailed Adam and asked for his thoughts too. Wanted to post on the forums too because I know a few folks recently got their kits and may have the same stuff or different parts.

SACTX

Maybe, I emailed Adam and asked for his thoughts too. Wanted to post on the forums too because I know a few folks recently got their kits and may have the same stuff or different parts.
I was going to start working on mine this evening. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Look for the available length of rod you have to use to attach to the ball joints after you put the larger jam nuts in place.

The more I look at mine it's just not gonna work. Hoping I'm missing something obvious and Adam can fill me in cause this thing appears to be too short with how the mounts are positioned.

SACTX

Look for the available length of rod you have to use to attach to the ball joints after you put the larger jam nuts in place.

The more I look at mine it's just not gonna work. Hoping I'm missing something obvious and Adam can fill me in cause this thing appears to be too short with how the mounts are positioned.
Will do.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I had the same problem, but I routed my cables a little differently and wound up with enough length to do the job. Check how your cables are routed under your engine. I had to support mine from underneath with a jack to make them reach.

20201006_112807.jpg

PaulPerger

Hey guys, I have an SS/TC and originally had the stock soft engine mounts. Upon installing my transmission shift linkages bracket, I found out from Adam that DF updated their mount design and it does not work with the Cobalt trans mount, I had to buy the solid mount kit in order to use their updated version.

Tonight I tried to install my shift linkages and tunnel and after multiple attempts and deep thought, they don't fit.

I have the transmission and shifter side extended on the adjustment nuts on the line itself. With both extended as far as they can, the threaded rod is no where near the shifter linkage if I attempt to keep the bellcrank perpendicular.

It looks like the shift tunnel and transmission mount brackets need their adjustment points moved a good deal closer in order to use the available linkage.

Anyone have this new linkage and get a better shot than me?

Also, this new design was supposed to put the linkage in a better position but instead of the counterweighted linkage being kinked like the original, the other one is now. Not sure it's any better than the last one?
It looks like these would fit a standard length frame... Your extended frame is about 4 inches further from transmission, isn't it?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
It looks like these would fit a standard length frame... Your extended frame is about 4 inches further from transmission, isn't it?
It's not the length of the cable, there's room to spare. It's the mounting points on the brackets that restrict the movement. According toadam I have a newer style bracket that they plan on including in newer goblins as well as including the solid mount because the newer style bracket doesn't work against the OEM trans mount (that's how I found the issue)

Wherever the cable is secured is where the length of the extension originates from, the cable itself is long enough.

Update I just got a shipping notification from DF

Last edited:

SACTX

Did you pull on the rods? I just realized as I was laying mine out that the end pieces on the rods extend out. The threaded pieces.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Yes that's how the shifting function works. Adam said Lonny wanted to send me some extenders so I'm not sure what I was missing or if it was the wrong parts I received but I'm waiting on those to arrive.