New tool for pulling hoses through frame rails.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
20190724_093102.jpg

This gets attached to a 2x4 that attaches to the frame. You will use a drill to turn it.
We have tested it a few times using our Ryobi cordless drill. It easily pulls the hoses through.
Our customers will have to supply the drill and 2x4 and drill two holes through the 2x4.
It uses one of the rear shock bolts from the donor to attach the 2x4 to one of the rear vertical subframe tubes and donor hardware to attach the other end to the forward subframe mounting point.

The hose pulling kit is $35 plugs shipping.

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
A year too late! Nice engineering. I would of thought you would need more than a drill to pull it.
Us too! We were very surprised. .

Our drill claims that it has 350 inch pounds of torque so if the pulling strap is 1/2 inch from center it will pull 700 lbs.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The new method of attaching to the hose made all the difference in the world for me. If it can be pulled without bunching up at the strap/hose connection, it pulls with ease.

Ross

Goblin Guru
So do you put the flat strap thru the middle of the split pin? Looks like the split pin can't open up in the metal frame.
Then put the drill chuck on the split pin and start turning?
Is there enough room on the spool to wind 5' of flat strap? Or do you have to pull 1 foot at a time, and move it down the 2x4?
I think I need to see a video.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
So do you put the flat strap thru the middle of the split pin? Looks like the split pin can't open up in the metal frame.
Then put the drill chuck on the split pin and start turning?
Is there enough room on the spool to wind 5' of flat strap? Or do you have to pull 1 foot at a time, and move it down the 2x4?
I think I need to see a video.
I have a tool that can septate the split pin just enough to slip the strap through.
There is 11 feet of strap on it in the image.
It pulls the hose though from start to finish without stopping.
I will get some video of it when we pull another set of hoses.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a first test video of pulling a hose.
Like everything we design it needs tweaking.
We found that the big washers on each side of the belt start dragging against the sides of the bracket.
We are going to add some washers to each side to give them some separation and try again, and also maybe a little lube would help.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Here is a first test video of pulling a hose.
Like everything we design it needs tweaking.
We found that the big washers on each side of the belt start dragging against the sides of the bracket.
We are going to add some washers to each side to give them some separation and try again, and also maybe a little lube would help.
A part of me is mad and another part is happy for others. I will not mention how much of a pain the original hoses were without a pulley.

MisterDave

Do you set up the puller once and pull all of the hose through the first rail, then cut hose and use the same puller set up on the next rail? or, do you start by cutting the hose in half, set up the puller, pull one side.... Then set up the puller again with the other half and pull it through the second rail?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Do you set up the puller once and pull all of the hose through the first rail, then cut hose and use the same puller set up on the next rail? or, do you start by cutting the hose in half, set up the puller, pull one side.... Then set up the puller again with the other half and pull it through the second rail?
We just cut ours on half and pulled each one separately. There should be enough. Just don’t pull too far.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I highly suggest pulling what you need then cut each end leaving a decent amount 6-10 inches at the ends for couplings. Make sure before you cut that you have enough for the other side.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
The tool works great but for those of you that are planning to use one to pull your hoses, be mindful of these things:

1) You still need to pay attention to the tool ... use your drill to turn the tool slowly and make sure the nylon strap is winding properly. I damaged mine by not paying attention, and it frayed while rubbing against the sharp edge of one of the washers.
2) You still need to prep the ends of your hoses like you MEAN it. Cut as little of the hose away as possible, and put at least 3 zip ties on the end before you try to pull.
3) Lube that tube like there's no tomorrow.