New transmission

Whidbey Goblin

Seems like the trans from my donor wasn’t good after all. The car is just falling out of third gear when not under a load. I just found out DF kit car no longer has 0 mile transmissions. Adam mentioned somebody in here bought several and may still have one available. So my question is does anybody have a 0 mile manual transmission for sale?

RobC76

I messaged with him. He’s only got a couple left. Non LSD
$1750.00 may include shipping depending where you are.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I messaged with him. He’s only got a couple left. Non LSD
$1750.00 may include shipping depending where you are.
Ouch. $1750 + $900 LSD + installation $$ (which takes a bunch of special tools) = at least $3000. Add in a performance flywheel and clutch and your knocking on the door at $4000. :oops:

New F40 (which is much easier to work on without specialized tools) $850 + Quaife LSD $1000 + flywheel/clutch $450 = $2300. Add in the DF frame mod at $2500 to put the total at $4800. And did I mention there are new F40s readily available for the foreseeable future. :)

Just saying if you gotta have that new transmission...:cool: The argument for a used 100,000+ mile (and possibly abused) F35 being available in a donor or at pick-a-part is a different discussion with ground gears, bad syncros and fluid never changed that is like tar. Nope! :eek:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Meant the new transmissions for sale I found don't come with an LSD installed. But yes, there are LSD available for the F23 (Quaife is $1000), but also needs to be installed. Not as difficult as working the F35, but not as easy as working on the F40. For those who have to have a new transmission there are many choices based on needs and how much you are willing to spend to get it. Everyone has their priorities and likes! :):D

RobC76

I have a new never ran F35 with factory LSD that I offered whidbey. If he decides he doesn’t want it I’ll post in the classifieds. Lots of options for sure.
New F35 need LSD Installed
New F35 with factory LSD
New F23 need LSD installed
New F40 need LSD installed

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I have a new never ran F35 with factory LSD that I offered whidbey. If he decides he doesn’t want it I’ll post in the classifieds. Lots of options for sure.
New F35 need LSD Installed
New F35 with factory LSD
New F23 need LSD installed
New F40 need LSD installed
These are transmissions you have for sale?

RobC76

No I was referring to what’s available presently that we know of.
I do have a the new F35 with factory LSD available.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You might want to hang onto that new F35, since it may be one of the last new ones with the LSD installed that readily available. A search on Dr. Google for a new F35 with LSD turns up only a couple sources that are several months old and those were listed at a whopping $3000+. A few hits show up for a non-LSD F35 at marginally less $$. There are plenty of rebuild F35s, also north of $3000, that can be purchased, but are also requiring a core return.
A search for new F23 transmissions comes up with a few more results on Dr. Google, but as you stated, no factory LSD. Only aftermarket LSDs are available for installation.
The search for F40s comes up with many more sources of new transmissions. The majority are sans LSDs, but a Saab 9-5 Aero 6 speed can be ordered from Europe with a factory LSD - but hard to locate and big $$. Cheaper to order a new F40 and LSD (a Quaife is really the only way to go) and install it yourself for about 1/2 the price of the Saab.

RobC76

Thank you I definitely agree with you. As far as new F40’s, they are no longer producing them correct?

RobC76

I did end up getting a couple new F40 6 speeds. I ordered a quaife LSD for one of them but noticed that Wavetrac also offers one. Do you have an opinion on which one is preferred?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Quaife is my choice, since it is oriented to sporty street and road course driving. The design of the Quaife is all gears and well proven over years of use in many forms of racing. But it doesn't function well with one tire up in the air.
The Wavtrac is a newer design that uses some friction components to limit slip. It has some desirable characteristics, especially if your car tends to lift a driving tire during cornering - like some cars may do if the suspension is not properly set up or excess chassis flex occurs.
Both are good choices, just depends upon what your driving needs will be and how much $$ you wish to spend. The nice thing about the F40 is an LSD can be installed by anyone with reasonable mechanical skills and common shop tools. :D