New videos

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I have a 09 SS/TC donor, no RPD display, and I also have the twisted pair you have. I just cut it for now.

But, if I were to take an edumuhcated guess, I would say: I have a tan twisted pair emerging from my fuse box wiring (not sure where, it's taped up) that's really long, and is a loose end. I would say we will be soldering the pair in question to the pair I'm talking about, in the body harness.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Those wires will get soldered to the corresponding data wires on the ECM. The loose ends on that connector went to the OnStar module which you cut out. The complete path is OBD connector --> Power steering --> BCM --> OnStar --> Brake controller --> ECM.

Ark you might want to double check your wiring if you have the GMLAN wires running through your fuse box.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Sorry, poor choice of words ... what I should have said was "emerging from the wiring that runs toward the fuse box", which emcompasses the ECM connector. That connector, along with all of the fuse box connectors, power steering power, fuel pump, body to engine connector, etc. are all one taped up clump of wires now.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The reattaching of the data wires will be discussed in a later video. For now just cut the data wires loose from the body to dash connector as shown in video 9.

KSLunsfo

I have a couple furlough weeks coming up, a perfect time to knock out the wiring job (haven't started yet).

Anks329

Ok, I'm going through these videos finally. At the end of Part 4, organizing the main harness. I'm supposed to have an exposed pair of data wires but I don't. I've data wires from the engine connector that are to be extended (were cut from the body/dash plug), and I can see another pair going from the engine connector to the top ECM plug. Is this right, or am I missing something here?

Dsteinhorst

Ok, I'm going through these videos finally. At the end of Part 4, organizing the main harness. I'm supposed to have an exposed pair of data wires but I don't. I've data wires from the engine connector that are to be extended (were cut from the body/dash plug), and I can see another pair going from the engine connector to the top ECM plug. Is this right, or am I missing something here?
I'm pretty sure in my 09 LS, the data wires I connected came from the body/dash and spliced into the power steering data wire set.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like your on the right track.

The data wires need to carry information into and back out of a variety of systems.

It does this via daisy-chaining.

It starts at your OBDII port and then ends with the ECM. Here they are listed in order.

OBDII port
EPS (electronic power steering)
BCM (body control module)
RPD (realtime performance display) turbo only option
VCIM (vehicle communication interface module) removed
In and out of the dash harness to body harness connector
TCM (transmission control module) auto donors only
ECM (engine control module)

Since we remove the VCIM, you will need to reconnect the data wires.

If your donor had the RPD option, the data wires would connect from the RPD to the ECM.

If your donor had a manual transmission and did not have the RPD option, you will connect the data wires from the BCM to the ECM.

If your donor had an automatic transmission, you would connect the data wires from the BCM to the TCM.