No Power, How Do I Test Issues?

KingChuck24

So we got the wiring from DF yesterday and installed it in what we think is the correct way. We went to connect the battery terminals but whenever we go to connect the second one we get spark, not sure if that's an issue. I am very new to anything electrical and will probably need quite a bit of help with stuff like this. From other things I have read people test continuity, how do I do this? Do I grab a multimeter and where would I connect both of the leads. How would I check to see if the grounds are working? How do I check to see if some wires came loose? Also does the negative terminal that extends from the battery go to the ground that is attached to the battery holder on the frame?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
****, not going to be easy to trouble shoot this without basic electrical skills . Let’s start with are your battery cables currently connected? If yes and you don’t see smoke then the spark is likely normal. If the battery isn’t currently connected m my, disconnect cable from the fuse box and check continuity from battery wire to ground.

Post a picture of your multimeter so we can tell you how to connect it w read continuity.

lksohm

Some easy things to try are things like, making sure your key is off and headlight switches are turned off when attaching the battery cables. A small spark is normal but if large could be a sign of an issue.
Yes, the negative cable goes to the threaded rod on the side of the battery holder.
Something to try if you have a decent multimeter is how many amps are coming from your battery when you try to connect it.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
For the hooking up the wire harness, I just followed the YouTube videos and it went through it all. I would watch those videos again.

How big of sparks? Just tiny ones when connecting the terminals or big scary ones? There usually is some small sparks when I connect my battery or B+ terminal

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
What is it doing or not doing, exactly?

with random power (computers) coming on with the battery being connected, a small spark isn’t abnormal anymore.

KingChuck24

Today I am going to run through some tests. To answer some of the questions above I would say they are bigger than normal sparks? I might take a video, there is some smoke coming up when connecting it. In terms of it not doing anything, when I turn the key I am looking at the dash screen and nothing is popping up, I also hear no electrical noises or at least I have not heard any yet but I will test for that as well. My first course of action will be to test the grounds and try to get some more powder coat off the bottom of the studs, I will also check that large 50 amp fuse going to the battery. After that I am pretty in the dark, but I am hoping its just the grounds. I did follow the YouTube videos for attaching the harness, some of their connections were a little different, specifically the large positive cable. My large positive cable's end radius was not big enough to fit the bolt through so I ended up having to drill it out a little. That large positive cable connects at the same spot that the cable that goes from the positive stud of the fuse box goes to correct (that is the best way I can describe it). I also had to extend that cable that goes to the fuse box so I suppose there could be a bad connection there so I will test that as well.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If you have smoke you could have major problems. I would suggest you start with my suggestion above. Having bad grounds might be saving you from a fire or at least a burnt up wire harness.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Post some pics of the battery, grounds and back by the fuse box in the rear. Not real close pictures, a little further back so we can see things.

KingChuck24

Ok so started going through and testing things, plugged in the battery terminals again and heard what sounded like clicking from the fuse box area and some noise from the bcm. Then after about 10 seconds or so the negative terminal ground from the battery started to smoke a little and we quickly disconnected the terminals. We tested that ground and it had continuity, is it just not good enough? We got about .5 ohms from the multimeter at all of the grounds.

KingChuck24

The first photo is of a donor wire we found, is that a ground wire from the engine to the frame? We only just found it and I assume it’s important.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I think the wire in the first pic is supposed to be used where you took the second pic.

You may want to rewatch some wiring videos before you burn your house down...

KingChuck24

Sorry, just new to this sort of stuff. We are going to try cleaning all the grounds and going through the entire video again and redo everything.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That first pic of a wire has red on it. That s a positive wire. Probably starter to fuse box, but can’t remember.