No Start

chief404

Trying to get the goblin started for the first time. Prior to this, the starter went bad and I had some bad grounds causing some electrical gremlins. After going through everything - I was finally able to see some progress, the dash would come up with no security light, the fuel pump primes and the starter starts right up. However, the car is not starting and is just dumping fuel out of the exhaust(so fuel pressure is definitely good). My first thought is to track down the ignition and figure why it's not getting spark. I pulled the codes and got the following:

P0033 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Bypass Valve Control Circuit / Open
P0449 - Evaporative Emission System Vent control Circuit Intermittent
P0452 - Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low
P05342 - A/C Refrigerent Pressure Sensor A circuit Low

The only concerning one I think would be P033 but I'm not sure if that would cause a no start condition.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Did you mess with the cam position sensor at all? Seems like that's a common one that gets installed incorrectly. Do you have spark?

chief404

Did you mess with the cam position sensor at all? Seems like that's a common one that gets installed incorrectly. Do you have spark?
This is located at the rear facing side of the engine, next to the fuse block on the end of the exhaust cam - correct? I have not messed with anything on the engine other than the starter, including the cam sensor. I will try testing for spark.

chief404

Tested for spark using an old plug and the first cylinder coil pack - seemed to get spark and almost started up. When I reinstalled the coil plug to try again, I literally watched a fuse blow out on the front fuse BCM(red 10 fuse, third row over directly under another red 10 fuse - position 15?)...maybe I'm still having ground issues?

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible that when you were working on the coil pack that some of the tail light wires got against bare metal. That would pop fuses on the BCM up front.

chief404

Is it possible that when you were working on the coil pack that some of the tail light wires got against bare metal. That would pop fuses on the BCM up front.
I will try replacing all the fuses and making sure that is not the issue. I have a bunch of headlight and tail light wires that are all over the place and that is of high probability. The rear fuses look fine. Hopefully I didn't blow up my bcm.

chief404

Spark has already been tested(see above) the car has adequate fuel pressure and the compression is even across the cylinders(at least when it come out the donor). At this point I'm working my way back through the all the electrical.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
So is it trying to start at all now? Did you resolve P0033 code? Typically if you have the 3 basics available the ECM will tell you what is wrong.

chief404

So is it trying to start at all now? Did you resolve P0033 code? Typically if you have the 3 basics available the ECM will tell you what is wrong.
Yeah it will act like it's going to start and turn over. I don't know if the P0033 code will stop it from starting. I have tried to find the circuit in the wiring diagram but still have not found it.

chief404

I was able to get the car to start...sort of. It won't run for more than a few seconds at most and sounds like it's not getting proper spark to all the cylinders. I honestly think it may just be a ground issue and can't see how any of the codes could be correlated. I went through every fuse and made sure everything looked good or got replaced. Going to take a look at the ignition harness and start going back through everything.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It might be a loose connection on the wires on a fuse box connector also obit I would try to resolve the P0033 code still. Even if that doesn’t turn out to be the main problem you will still need to resolve it. The remaining codes are normal.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You may need to install the MAF tube on the engine and install the MAF and connect it before it will run.

I have one at the shop that will not run without the MAF sensor connected.

chief404

You may need to install the MAF tube on the engine and install the MAF and connect it before it will run.

I have one at the shop that will not run without the MAF sensor connected.
I have the MAF disconnected and may need to try this...

chief404

update: I finished the rest of the headlight wiring and pretty much went back through all the electrical. I found that reseating the rear fuse block without the connectors already in the tray actually let me align them better. I think the root of the issue may of been the headlight wires causing a short. Car started right up this morning and ran fine for about 15 seconds. Now it's time to wrap this thing up and get it driving!

chief404

update: tried letting the car idle for a bit so I could fill it with water and check for any leaks in the an fittings. I noticed some smoke on start but it's not too bad unless I give it throttle. Car was idling fine but didn't like any throttle, I'm going to try replacing the bypass valve solenoid + check for vacuum leaks. I also figured the gas might not be the best since it was only about a gallon in the tank and the weather has been cold which could explain the white smoke from condensation. I filled the tank up this morning and tried running it again, but it only ran for a few seconds and then starting giving me the weird no start condition from before - this time the fuel pump is not as noticeably audible as before and the throttle still works fine.

Next steps are to try and fix the only engine code(solenoid) and try to back trace the fuel pump wiring to make sure nothing is shorting or causing failure.

edit: I also noticed that one of the headlights will stay bright and the other only works on low dim. The car will start at first when I disconnect the battery and come back to it a while after. Sometimes the starter will continue to turn over after letting off the key...no other codes or issues, probably another ground issue :rolleyes:

Last edited:

chief404

update: I am now getting a p0230 fuel pump code. Going to trace through the electrical and figure out the issue - I have seen others with fried boards so hoping for the best at this point.