No title

D&dgoblin69

I found a smoking deal on a 2009 manual shift colbalt. Two questions first no title what would you do about registration of goblin does it need title of sonar in Texas or can I just make sure it’s not stolen the. Cut it up for scrap when Iam done?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Title is best, but should be able to be done as long as you document everything. They may send you to a DPS inspection person to look for serial numbers to make sure nothing is stolen.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I cut the VIN number out of the dash of one of my donor cars, and signed the title with VIN over to another goblin owner.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru

Goblinfanclub1234

Do you need to drive up to Montana or is it all though mail?
better yet...I did a VIN inspection for my Montana LLC in Cheyenne Wyoming and I live in Denver haha. The rest of the paperwork you can complete by mail yourself, with the exception of the bill of sale which needs notary. You just need the stage 1 Montana VIN inspection which can technically be done by any highway patrol.

Blue Man

I have the same question. 2008 Manual Cobalt SS. No title. Since I am going to be piecing it out, do I need the title? In theory, I could buy parts from this guy for the goblin without every buying the car, right? So if I only use parts and cut up and scrap the frame, do I need the title? Will that stop me from registering it? Would I still be able to register it if I bought all the parts independently without ever buying an actual donor car? Thanks for the input!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Depends upon state laws and the registration requirements. Some states require title traceability for the engine, even though it is no longer in its original chassis - it does have the VIN on it if it is pulled from a donor.

And welcome as a new member of the forum. :)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
But Sluggo lives in nazIllinois where they won't register anything that doesn't have an auto manufacturer name on it. :mad::cool:

Blue Man, if you have not read about it here or someplace else, Montana is amiable to registering and licensing Goblins if your home state does not.

Blue Man

I live in Idaho, so Montana would be easy for me to get to if needed. Is there a process for doing that? Of course, I am still at the beginning. Lining up the donor car and ordering the kit. I would imagine I have a little time?

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I live in Idaho, so Montana would be easy for me to get to if needed. Is there a process for doing that? Of course, I am still at the beginning. Lining up the donor car and ordering the kit. I would imagine I have a little time?
There is no need to go to Montana. The inspection is done locally by law enforcement and the rest is done via mail.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It’ll depend on your state. The title shows that nothing is stolen. The same can be accomplished with receipts and such, but 1 title and pictures showing all doner parts is easier. Again. depends on your state.

Chubbs

Missouri resident here.... As a general rule you should be able to prove that nothing used in your build is stolen. A title does that for a whole bunch of parts used from the donor vehicle. If you take it to get inspected by the highway patrol and they find out there are stolen parts on the car, they are going to impound it. So you are taking a risk by not having a title.

If you are sure that it is not stolen, or have a way to check it in advance, I would still buy it. I don't think you actually need the title for anything. Just be aware of the risk you are taking if it turns out badly later.

Blue Man

Is there any way for me to run the Vin number and the engine number and see if they are stolen? Would that help?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Sure. I put "run the Vin number and the engine number and see if they are stolen " in google and got a bunch of VIN services that will do that.... not sure if any of them are free. Might want to ask your DMV/police if they can do it, as they also have access, and might do it for free.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep a goggle search will find plenty of online services. Plus, around here you can go to certain DMV’s for an inspection for such a thing. I know one of our goblin guys here had to do that for his title (for whatever reason). The one around here is only open once a week and it’s packed, though.