Not a swap I want but would fit(I think)

95Blitz

So while I have been on this Saab hunt for a few weeks now. I have found that the 2006-2008 Saab 9-3 2.8T is another GM engine and mounted to an F40 transmission. I know the LSJ fits in the 9-3 and the 2.8T fit's also. So that could be another engine if one was so inclined to travel a different path. I will be back at the Pull A Part this weekend and will take a close look at the 2.8T. I know the factory location for the turbo is above the transmission so the fuse box location would have to be moved. But if your tackling this swap that would not be a problem. I'll take some pictures of the engine(if it's there) and maybe some quick measurements .

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
The 2.8 was put in a bazillion different cars and small trucks in the 80's. The 3.1 is basically the same.

Dale E

The 2.8 was put in a bazillion different cars and small trucks in the 80's. The 3.1 is basically the same.
Different 2.8. You are correct it was used before in many vehicles, but that old 2.8 was a single valley cam iron block and head. The Saab is a double overhead cam aluminum block. Also used in the Opal's LP9. Some have been built to around 800 - 900 HP. The old 3.1 was aluminum updated from the old 2.8.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Another item to look for is the F40 has 2 different bolt patterns. One is a 'metric' that bolts onto the V6 blocks - GM 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, etc., the other is an 'Ecotec' bolt pattern that connects with LSJ, LNF, LE5, LAP, etc. Not certain which is the Saab bolt pattern coming off their 2.8T platform.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Hot exhaust issue? If the turbo is where the fuse box is the exhaust on the forward bank of the motor goes up and towards the trans. A little more space between it and the gas tank than the usual V6 arrangement.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Hot exhaust issue? If the turbo is where the fuse box is the exhaust on the forward bank of the motor goes up and towards the trans. A little more space between it and the gas tank than the usual V6 arrangement.
If you are talking about the exhaust/ muffler and a rear mounted tank, the exhaust is a lot cooler by the time it gets there, than the turbo will be. It’s still probably fine with the metal tank and nothing a heat shield wouldn’t fix with the plastic tank.

95Blitz

So after looking the fuse box would need to be move to above the fuel tank on the passenger side. But it would fit with a few mods. If I had the money I would go back and get the motor and trans just as a test later on.
Here are a few measurements I took of the sub frame.
Subframe 38.5" wide at the front of the car, a little over 32" front to back.
12.5" front Trans mount flange to drivers side front subframe bolt

I was hoping the subframe would bolt straight to the Goblin but it won't.
Here are the pics I took.

Attachments