Nukers City Goblin - 2009 SS/TC number 2 build

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Got the front wing on tonight! Was a bit of a pita. Ended up using a 3” 90 deg 1/8” aluminum angle. Cut a few notches to clear hoses and everything.

Lndshrk Steve

FYI if you want it to look less like a snow plow, level off the wing endplates. You don't have to change the wing angle, just the end plates.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Hmm under very normal legal driving conditions last evening my passenger seat front cushion flew out somewhere and I could not find it on my closed course.
Guess I’ll have to search where to find a new one of those!

Nuker-

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Hmm under very normal legal driving conditions last evening my passenger seat front cushion flew out somewhere and I could not find it on my closed course.
Guess I’ll have to search where to find a new one of those!

Nuker-
Sorry for your luck

Brett

Corbeau was great when I needed a replacement part or my seat. Give them a call and I bet they have a replacement available or at least an option.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Was able to get a great drive in "December in Kansas city" Yesterday was about 70! Went to get dinner with a friend we come out about 7:30pm and I guess the front moved through and it was now windy and 45 LOL boy that was fun drive home 20 miles!

Nuker-

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
How are you all doing! Here we are with another 75 deg day in KC is this December or May!??!

So long story short, I've noticed for a while now that while im on the highway and behind say a semi truck with the strong air currents coming off I get just little micro cut outs on the engine when your not in boost, Basically just steady throttle.

Today the wind is gusting 30-65mph so I did a little test to confirm my suspicions, I let it idle to temp inside the garage idle was solid no blips nothing.

I back out into the wind gusts and boom everytime it gusts the engine cuts out for a split second over and over. Pull it back in idle is fine.

So I think i'm having the same issue I think maybe @ctuinstra was seeing with the MAF reading crazy air. Which is actually a relief because I was hoping it was not some other crazy issue. I'm going to buy one of those expensive honeycomb inserts for the intake and see if that will help smooth out the air a bit and test more. Although testing might not be until winter is over at this point :D

Anyone have a link to a quality honeycomb air straightener?

Thanks!
Nuker-

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
HA-SS-300D6

I'd also recommend testing whether a pipe coming up and over the frame pointing into the wind will help things, with how short the length is to the sensor and the angle the air is coming in could be causing some issues. I also purchased a long cone filter with a top opening

Last edited:

ATMironov

How are you all doing! Here we are with another 75 deg day in KC is this December or May!??!

So long story short, I've noticed for a while now that while im on the highway and behind say a semi truck with the strong air currents coming off I get just little micro cut outs on the engine when your not in boost, Basically just steady throttle.

Today the wind is gusting 30-65mph so I did a little test to confirm my suspicions, I let it idle to temp inside the garage idle was solid no blips nothing.

I back out into the wind gusts and boom everytime it gusts the engine cuts out for a split second over and over. Pull it back in idle is fine.

So I think i'm having the same issue I think maybe @ctuinstra was seeing with the MAF reading crazy air. Which is actually a relief because I was hoping it was not some other crazy issue. I'm going to buy one of those expensive honeycomb inserts for the intake and see if that will help smooth out the air a bit and test more. Although testing might not be until winter is over at this point :D

Thanks!
Nuker-

View attachment 29492
I ordered this one. It has a nice pressure fit into the MAF tube.
Car isn't running yet, so who knows if its doing anythign.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The idea behind the honeycomb is good but the execution of it isn’t. They are way too short to create a really straight flow of air. The best idea by far, and the least popular, is to box the air filter so it’s not exposed to the wind. Every auto manufacturer does this. The other option is to locate the MAF way down the run of the tube, but the wind could still cause pressure differential.

We rotated our out of the wind stream and that helped enough, but it’s still effected by strong cross winds. It happened once during a windy autocross.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I used the MRP one also. Maybe its a difference between the SC and TC but I really haven't noticed much having mine stuck out in the wind. If I'm in the buffeting zone following a vehicle in traffic maybe a little, but it might just be the car moving around.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks!
Nuker-

View attachment 29492
Your MAF is too close to your turbo. It probably doesn't have anything to do with the wind effect but when the turbo spools up it will send some unwanted feed back to your MAF.
Also make sure you do not push your air filter on too far. The end of the MAF tube needs to blend with the radius at the base of the filter or it will cause turbulence and the MAF will misread.

Scott #321

I haven't experienced this with my intake setup. Modified Hahn intake with long straight run before MAF and filter right above the fuel cell by the alternator. Trade off is intake is very loud in this location and it is not the coldest location to get air.
20210813_140322.jpg