Nuker's City Goblin build - 2007 SS SC Donor - Completed/Licensed

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Bought some aluminum, going to work on building a heat shield for the header/exhaust. Next step is working on relocating heat exchanger to the rear and add side air scoops.

I did a bit of flow testing with a huge shop fan and found that the air likes to blow up and over the front heat exchanger and radiator and not through it.

Anyone used the 24k gold plating sold at summit racing on a heat shield before?

Nuker

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Ideally the nose cone opening should taper to approximately 60-70% of the area of the radiator. This creates an area of negative pressure right in front of the radiator enhancing flow through it instead of around it.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I did a bit of flow testing with a huge shop fan and found that the air likes to blow up and over the front heat exchanger and radiator and not through it.

Nuker
That's the same issue my 68 vette has and I was worried about that with this car.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I don’t think it’s a problem for the engine, but as I install the stage 3 kit I don’t want to heat soak the SC!

Nuker

Chris Eggert

Yep, the Miata spec, Remember you need to have the 15" version center hubs bored out on a lathe from 54.1mm to 57.1mm it only cost me 40$ for both.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1843.html

They are the tungsten color, I'm really loving how they look!

Nuker-
I have been looking at wheel and tire choices, I was surprised at the amount of choices with the 5-110 bolt pattern of the 2006 SS/SC. I noticed that the hub size of your donor is 57.1 mm I just wanted to make sure people know that the 2005 - 2007 SS/SC hubs are 65.1 mm from what I have found by my research and the measuring of mine. Thats a definite need to know measurement when ordering wheels. Looks like I will be going with wheels made by OZ Racing unless I find some a little less expensive that I like as well that are as light as the OZ racing

Chris Eggert

I think Nuker converted to 4×100 which would have a different/smaller hub diameter.
I was just bringing up the measurement of the hubs in case someone didnt realize there is a size diffrence in the actual diameter. That the bolt pattern isnt the only thing that changes from 2007 SS/SC to the 2008 SS/T. I didn't know there was a diffrence in the hub diameter until I started looking for wheels. Plus trying to decide if I wanted to go to a 4 lug, have my hubs redrilled or just stay with the 5-110 bolt pattern.
As of right now I have decided to stay with the SS 5 lug and looks like these wheels from OZ racing unless something happens. It is a 60 to 90 day wait time on getting them once they are ordered. That is mainly because they are made to order not just a wheel off the rack and they are made in italy. I like them a lot. They are pretty high priced, but they are light weight, they are strong and will they will definitely make my Goblin stand out in a crowd...

Attachments

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
That scoop is not bad, I’m kinda in a holding pattern until zzp gets the stage 3 to me so I can figure out the heat exchanger.

I’ll post some pics once I figure out the mount, I like Jsatx mount but I don’t think that will quiet work for the SC exhaust, a ton of heat needs to be blocked from the heat exchanger.

Nuker

Also took the goblin out for a drive in 50deg weather and boy this thing is scary! Even after a 5 mile run down the highway the tires were bearly 70deg with non contact thermometer!

Can’t wait till it’s 80 outside again!

Chris Eggert

That scoop is not bad, I’m kinda in a holding pattern until zzp gets the stage 3 to me so I can figure out the heat exchanger.

I’ll post some pics once I figure out the mount, I like Jsatx mount but I don’t think that will quiet work for the SC exhaust, a ton of heat needs to be blocked from the heat exchanger.

Nuker

Also took the goblin out for a drive in 50deg weather and boy this thing is scary! Even after a 5 mile run down the highway the tires were bearly 70deg with non contact thermometer!

Can’t wait till it’s 80 outside again!
I have been looking at the ZZP stealth intercooler. It will be a little easier to locate it in the Goblin with the smaller area it occupies. It does have a much smaller footprint, but the cooling ability is supposed to be equal to or close to the stock intercooler plus the stage 3 ZZP intercooler together. Its not much of a difference in cost either

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Hey just curious, now that you’ve been driving for a bit how you like the lightweight flywheel?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Hey just curious, now that you’ve been driving for a bit how you like the lightweight flywheel?
I never drove with the stock one, But this one is having zero issues. I think I have almost 6k miles now. I have done several 4-5k launches with no slippage.

I've recently made some bad financial choices, and the stock supercharger will be coming off soon :p So we shall see after that.

Nuker-

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
That's what I thought too, but in that case it would be a "good financial choice." :) I think he owes Guido some money and is using the stock SC funds to pay him off.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Haha, Yeah there is a TVS1320 and some injectors etc on the way! I decided that this thing will support all the power I will ever want and it'll be there at all rpm.

I'll take some pics one it gets here in a couple weeks.

Nuker-