OEM camera wiring info for 2013 Ford Explorer?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Hello,

Putting this in "Other Builds" ... since there does not appear to be a better place to put something off-topic like this.

I am looking into replacing my problematic backup camera in my daily driver. The OEM Sync system seems to be the source of the camera working only intermittently, and quite frankly, I am sick of it.

Would anyone have any resources for the wiring on the OEM 2011-2015 Ford Explorer backup camera? I can't seem to find anything. Ideally, I am looking for a wiring diagram for the OEM camera.

Thanks in advance.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Are you wanting to replace the head unit and camera with aftermarket? or just the camera?

I think this is the wiring diagram for it.

Goblin Guru
That looks like exactly what I am looking for, thank you.

My intention is to add an aftermarket head unit while retaining the OEM camera if possible. It's infuriating when my backup camera decides to not work for 3 months straight, then randomly starts working again. Replacement (authentic) cameras for my model year are between $300 and $500. If it does end up being the camera that has issues, I can add an aftermarket one later. I would just like to keep the OEM one due to its fit and finish, you know?

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Looks like problems with that camera are common for that year/model. Have you called around to any local salvage yards to see if they have one cheaper?

Goblin Guru
I have, in the past, and came up empty-handed. I don't think it's the camera, to be honest. But using the diagram you provided, I intend to test.

Goblin Guru
Yep, been there, done that. I'm going to try to ensure it's actually the camera, before I spend anything.

bradr

It is common for them to fail in that vehicle. What symptoms are you experiencing and what system do you have (4" screen or 8" touchscreen)?

Common camera issues:
  • Black screen
  • Intermittent video
  • Image upside down
  • Guidelines missing
  • Distorted colors
  • Etc.

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
Usually the black screen, followed after some seconds by the message that I need to take my car to the dealership because the camera is unavailable. Also from time to time, when it is working, I get intermittent video and/or missing guidelines.

bradr

Usually the black screen, followed after some seconds by the message that I need to take my car to the dealership because the camera is unavailable. Also from time to time, when it is working, I get intermittent video and/or missing guidelines.
Camera is dead for sure. If you replace it with an OEM camera, it will need to be programmed by the dealer to configure the orientation and guidelines. The OEM camera is differental video, but can be used with an aftermarket headunit with a single ended composite input. In this case, simply use the Video + and -.

The diagram posted by jamesm is accurate for the 8" touchscreen, but not for the 4" color screen (pin 5 at the camera is used as ground). In any case, if the guidelines are going missing, the camera is 100% the issue as the guidelines are produced at the camera and sent over the differential video to the screen.

Goblin Guru
Alright, thanks all for the guidance. I'll update this thread at some point whenever I fix it.