Ohio Registration

Iwanttogofast

I have been kicking around the idea of building a DF Goblin for a while now, and I’m pulling the trigger in the next week, or so. Extended frame, open cage (city), easy entry side. I live in Ohio. Has anyone in Ohio actually gone through the registration process? And if so, any potential hang-ups that I need to be aware of? Windscreen? Fenders? Other stuff?

I’ve been watching the ‘Ohio Registering’ thread for literally years, but it never seems to go anywhere(?). And my fellow Ohioans seem to dragging feet on their builds. Just trying to stay ahead of any potential issues, so any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
The five guys listed here in Ohio are all still active on the forum.
Have you reached out to any of them?

Iwanttogofast

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about, PyroGuy923!! You just got your frame in August and you're already going for registration. I'm hoping to have mine ready for some summer / autumn driving next year. Hoping to have my frame and kit in October.

PLEASE keep me advised about what happens with your registration. What they're looking for, etc. Thanks, man!!

Iwanttogofast

Pyro - How did it go with registration today? Good, I hope...

I hope your phone doesn't ding and wake you up. If it does - Sorry. I work 3rd shift as a Machinist.

John

PyroGuy923

Inspection passed and got the title today. Working on insurance then registration. Will provide more details later in the Ohio registration thread once complete

Antcy18

I have been kicking around the idea of building a DF Goblin for a while now, and I’m pulling the trigger in the next week, or so. Extended frame, open cage (city), easy entry side. I live in Ohio. Has anyone in Ohio actually gone through the registration process? And if so, any potential hang-ups that I need to be aware of? Windscreen? Fenders? Other stuff?

I’ve been watching the ‘Ohio Registering’ thread for literally years, but it never seems to go anywhere(?). And my fellow Ohioans seem to dragging feet on their builds. Just trying to stay ahead of any potential issues, so any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
I just got mine registered Today here in Ohio, insured, and on the road today!

Iwanttogofast

Great! Were you able to get any info on what exactly they were looking for? Are fenders, windshield, wipers, etc. necessary for registration in Ohio? I've heard varying info, so hopefully you can clarify now having gone through the process. Thanks!!

Antcy18

Wipers yes, but I used a single manual wiper on the drivers side. The windshield from df goblin passed inspection. I don’t have fenders or bumpers and that’s fine in Ohio but the inspector thought I needed a rear bumper, I showed her a section of Ohio code that states otherwise and she was great about it. Save All your receipts, the look through and input everything. I also needed all receipts at the title office. They will make you pay taxes on the total cost of your build to get the title which is bullshit.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Save All your receipts, the look through and input everything. I also needed all receipts at the title office. They will make you pay taxes on the total cost of your build to get the title which is bullshit.
even on the parts you already paid sales tax on?

Iwanttogofast

Ohio Goblin Owners - Does anyone know for sure if Ohio considers the Goblin a "specially-constructed vehicle”, making it exempt from state emissions testing? I know that PA is one of the most stringent states when it comes to registration, and they do not require emissions testing for Goblins.

I will be running my Goblin on E85 (readily available in Ohio), which will reduce emissions substantially. So, it’s not like I’m trying to pull one over on the state of Ohio. But, I’m sure that it would not pass anyway because of the HPTuner disabled features and the DTC codes that will more than likely be in the ECM.

Iwanttogofast

Yes, according to population and industry in each county. Counties like Cuyahoga, Medina, Summit, Franklin, etc. still require e-Check testing.

Traé

There are currently only 7 counties that require emissions testing for registered vehicles every 2 years.
  • Cuyahoga
  • Geauga
  • Lake
  • Lorain
  • Medina
  • Portage
  • Summit
@Vwsaabvt, from your signature you're in Allen County and don't require emissions testing.