Ohio Inspection

Adam in CLE

Hey All,

Wasn't sure where to post and beyond pissed off at the state inspection folks in OH. Disclaimer, I need the advice of Ohio Goblin owners only as each state is different. I went to Parkman (30 minutes away) for the inspection today. I know the Troy location has done several Goblins but is 3 hours and 30 minutes each way. The state highway patrol took 2 hours to inspect and told me the following items that I haven't met: 1) Will need to add front and rear bumper 2) different headlights (I used the cube off-road lights that others have used) 3) Windshield material doesn't comply with federal standards 4) No windshield wipers. There is an Ohio revised code that states the car doesn't need bumpers if it wasn't manufactured with them; I showed them this and they stated I still needed them. They said the headlights need focus and adjustment capabilities; mine have both as I am running flood for driving lights and spots for high beams. The wiper isn't a big issue as I will buy a clip on. I was also told to speak to the Sargant when he comes back from vacation to see what he will allow.

The questions: 1) Did anyone else have issues with the bumpers, if so what was the fix? Side note, they stated I could attach (to the frame) a 2x4 front and rear and they would pass me. 2) Did you have issues with the windshield if so, what was your fix? 3) If you failed and had to go back, did you go to the same place or to a different inspection site?

Thanks in advance for your comments, thoughts and experiences at Ohio inspection sites.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I just did a quick read through the Ohio laws, and it is one of those that allows a lot of leeway to rules set by bureaucrats.

Such inspection shall be made with respect to the brakes, lights, turn signals, steering, horns and warning devices, glass, mirrors, exhaust system, windshield wipers, tires, and such other items of equipment as designated by the superintendent of the state highway patrol by rule or regulation adopted pursuant to sections 119.01 to 119.13 of the Revised Code.

Beyond this I didn't see much that would indicate really any of the standard equipment of a Goblin doesn't meet the requirements.

Windshield; "unless the motor vehicle is equipped with safety glass wherever glass is used". No glass is used.

Headlights; "No person shall use any lights mentioned in sections 4513.03 to 4513.18 of the Revised Code upon any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer unless said lights are equipped, mounted, and adjusted as to focus and aim in accordance with regulations which are prescribed by the director of public safety." Need to see the "regulations" but this is probably a performance requirement and not a equipment requirement. Are you headlights "fixed" or "movable"? If movable, they can be aimed. As far as focus, all of the older vehicles running sealed beam lights can't be focused, only aimed.

...etc.

There isn't much that a LEO hates more than being questioned on his knowledge of the "Law" or being quoted an actual section from the code.
Of course this doesn't help much unless you want to hire an attorney to fight it in court. Maybe request a written set of "as designated by the superintendent of the state highway patrol by rule or regulation".

Metal Mech

I think when they are talking about focused they mean ones that have the beam focused to a specific point or have a cut off level.
Flood lights spread the light every where. Those cube lights are ment for off road use only.
Most people running the either don’t have strict light codes or swapped them out after they passed inspection.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Hey All,

Wasn't sure where to post and beyond pissed off at the state inspection folks in OH. Disclaimer, I need the advice of Ohio Goblin owners only as each state is different. I went to Parkman (30 minutes away) for the inspection today. I know the Troy location has done several Goblins but is 3 hours and 30 minutes each way. The state highway patrol took 2 hours to inspect and told me the following items that I haven't met: 1) Will need to add front and rear bumper 2) different headlights (I used the cube off-road lights that others have used) 3) Windshield material doesn't comply with federal standards 4) No windshield wipers. There is an Ohio revised code that states the car doesn't need bumpers if it wasn't manufactured with them; I showed them this and they stated I still needed them. They said the headlights need focus and adjustment capabilities; mine have both as I am running flood for driving lights and spots for high beams. The wiper isn't a big issue as I will buy a clip on. I was also told to speak to the Sargant when he comes back from vacation to see what he will allow.

The questions: 1) Did anyone else have issues with the bumpers, if so what was the fix? Side note, they stated I could attach (to the frame) a 2x4 front and rear and they would pass me. 2) Did you have issues with the windshield if so, what was your fix? 3) If you failed and had to go back, did you go to the same place or to a different inspection site?

Thanks in advance for your comments, thoughts and experiences at Ohio inspection sites.
I failed my first inspection in Troy for no license plate light, wiper, and rear bumper. Got all three put on and no problem on the re-inspection at the same station. They didn't say anything about a front bumper or the DF windscreen for mine. When you got your "fail" it should have instructions on how to schedule a re-inspection since it has already been started in the system. You could always just try to schedule a new inspection at a different station but I'm not sure if they would see anything in their system about previous inspections. For the headlights you could just get a cheap set of DOT plow lights and run them temporarily (mine has cheap exiet motorcycle headlights and they passed them, all the inspector asked was to see them switch from low to high. I'd probably just wait and talk to their sergeant when you can before rescheduling

Scott #321

I used different DOT approved lights and no windshield for my inspection then changed them after. I did ask the inspector what is the difference between a windshield and a wind deflector and based on his lack of an answer I was very glad I did not have a windshield of any kind on the vehicle for inspection. Ks law stated I must have wipers if running a windshield but there is no requirement for a windshield.

Metal Mech

I used different DOT approved lights and no windshield for my inspection then changed them after. I did ask the inspector what is the difference between a windshield and a wind deflector and based on his lack of an answer I was very glad I did not have a windshield of any kind on the vehicle for inspection. Ks law stated I must have wipers if running a windshield but there is no requirement for a windshield.
Jealous. I wish we had the no windshield option.
That only an option if registered as a motorcycle here.