Oil cooler plumbing

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I am trying to hook up coolant hoses and can't figure out how to run plumbing for the oil cooler. Because I'm using an HHR, I haven't ever seen how the cobalt was run, and I think it's different. It's definitely different than the build video. Any helpfull pics?

20200604_113114.jpg

1 and 2 get looped?
3 overflow tank
4 down to frame
5 and 6 where do they pic up and drop off?
20200604_113552.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
This shows the 2 that get looped. The one that goes up, goes to the radiator overflow tank.

#1 is the long hose that goes to the oil cooler. Closest to the fire wall.
#2 is the short hose that goes to the oil cooler.

You seem to be missing the 1 & 2 that my thermostat housing has. I would just connect the oil cooler to the heater lines that are looped. Then it would be getting engine coolant.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Piggybacking on Jim's post, in his first photo which of number 1 and 2 is the 'in flow' and which is the 'out flow'?
Jim's blue #1 is closest to the water pump, so I think that would be the highest pressure.
blue #2 is after the thermostat?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Remember this was the heater core loop, so you want the hottest water coming out with the 'cooler' water coming back to the engine. Since the thermostat is on the inlet side of the engine I believe that would be the return from the heater core? The hotter water would be on the engine block side so I would believe that would be the outlet to the heater core. If anyone has a coolant flow diagram that would help Jim and myself. Thanks. :)

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I talked to Adam and he thinks there's supposed to be a tee between 3 and 5 to run up to the overflow. I found a straight hose that goes between 3 and 5 on the HHR. I'm nearly positive the hhr does not have a tee there and has another port to the overflow. Possibly a tee from the heater circuit. We cut that circuit off with a knife and threw away the ratty junk hose, and possibly a fitting. Can any one with a LNF confirm that the oil cooler coolant drain goes into a tee shared with the thermostat housing and the coolant overflow.?

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
This shows the 2 that get looped. The one that goes up, goes to the radiator overflow tank.
View attachment 14453

#1 is the long hose that goes to the oil cooler. Closest to the fire wall.
#2 is the short hose that goes to the oil cooler.
View attachment 14455

You seem to be missing the 1 & 2 that my thermostat housing has. I would just connect the oil cooler to the heater lines that are looped. Then it would be getting engine coolant.
Ross, does the lsj have an oil cooler mounted to the block.? I can't tell from the pic.
15913105719874329647320100159437.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
That is the same as orange #2 in my other picture. Orange #1 is hidden from this angle.
I don't know which direction the flow is. Not sure it even matters, long as it has flow, it should work.
The heater lines are hotter water, which would help bring a cold engine up to temperature quicker, but would probably run the oil a few degrees hotter once up to temp. I wonder how much temp difference there is in the system.

RouteAbel

I talked to Adam and he thinks there's supposed to be a tee between 3 and 5 to run up to the overflow. I found a straight hose that goes between 3 and 5 on the HHR. I'm nearly positive the hhr does not have a tee there and has another port to the overflow. Possibly a tee from the heater circuit. We cut that circuit off with a knife and threw away the ratty junk hose, and possibly a fitting. Can any one with a LNF confirm that the oil cooler coolant drain goes into a tee shared with the thermostat housing and the coolant overflow.?
Yes confirmed there is a Tee.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ross, the LNF does not have the two extra fluid ports on the thermostat housing pointing towards the front of the engine. Is this on a LSJ - used for the supercharger cooler? Jim will have to use the tee in the large radiator return hose coming from the front of the car to pull 'cool' fluid through the oil cooler and back into the aluminum fitting (part of the thermostat housing) as the return into the cooling system.

Anyway, I figured out the cooling flow for the LNF finally and understand how to hook up the engine oil cooler for a desert Goblin that will use a secondary radiator fluid cooler in the loop. Jim, if you would like to see what I am doing send me a PM.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My LSJ has those extra ports for the oil cooler. The intake intercooler is a separate system, with an electric pump, and its own radiator, stays near ambient temps and with a stock engine, only gets about 20F above ambient when using power. You wouldn't want the 200F radiator coolant in the intercooler system.