Oil Filter Changes

SliderR1

Anyone with a completed Goblin changed their oil filter yet? Looks like it has the potential be a real pain..

Just curious what those that have done it think. There is at least one company that makes a relocation kit, but its not cheap...

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I have after about 3k miles, It was not too bad. I have the LSJ, Not sure if the other engines were harder to get to?

Nuker-

PHerder

WooHoo! My engine (from an Ariel Atom) has a remote oil filter/cooler already plumbed! I just got to make it fit the Goblin.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I’m confused. The 2.2L filter couldn’t be more accessible. I don’t recall which engine you’re using though.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Do all the engine types have the same style oil filter/location? The LNFs have what I guess what you would call a cartridge.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I checked mine again last night to make sure I was not crazy but it was pretty easy to slide a wrench in the opening to open the oil filter cap.

Nuker

C963A6B8-D537-4A8E-97BB-5EB4EB65E86E.jpeg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I found that you can slip an 1-1/4" socket on the cap and then poke a 12" extension or so down through the top to use a ratchet.

*Edit* Forgot you have an LSJ. You might not have room with the SC and throttle body to poke a extension down through the top.

Last edited:

SliderR1

Thanks Nuker. With the access to the front of the engine more limited than what it was in the original Cobalt, I was just wandering. It would be a lot easier to do a relocation now than later, since I haven't started assembly yet. But is seems its not necessary.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Unfortunately, it looks like the engine DFK cover/covers would need to be removed to be able to add oil?

Wonder if a remote fill cold be configured?

Last edited:

Tinkles

FYI on supercharged Ecotecs, if you replace the stock M62 supercharger with an aftermarket Harrop HTV1320-LSJ supercharger it will allow for much easier access to the oil filter.

JPas914

Unfortunately, it looks like the engine DFK cover/covers would need to be removed to be able to add oil?

Wonder if a remote fill cold be configured?
I can’t speak for the N/A or S/C folks, but on my T/C Goblin, I was able to use a funnel with a flexible nozzle to add oil.

Hardest part of changing the oil on my Goblin is dropping the diffuser.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Hardest part of changing the oil on my Goblin is dropping the diffuser.
I don't mess with drain plugs anymore. I picked up an oil extractor to suck the oil out of the pan. It's a game changer! I was skeptical that it would get all of the oil out of the pan but a coworker also uses an extractor and had to pull the pan once after having sucked the oil out and he said it was completely empty so that put my mind at ease. I doubt you get every last drop out of the pan by pulling the plug anyway.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I've always wondered how much oil is actually left behind when using those.

Have you tested yours after using it - as in pulling the drain plug to see how much was still left in the pan?

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I've always wondered how much oil is actually left behind when using those.

Have you tested yours after using it - as in pulling the drain plug to see how much was still left in the pan?
I have not, however I have always needed to put in exactly how much each car calls for to get the dipstick to read the correct amount.