Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
The good news is that some of the things you dreaded actually work out far easier than expected, but that's balanced out by the parts you thought would be easy and are everything but easy. It's definitely a journey.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I had an 06 SS/SC donor also. Best answer I can give is to use the plywood layout and start thinning. I THINK the ABS can be thinned because we don’t use ABS but I can’t say for certain that you can just cut the connector and remove all wires because I don’t recall if the LAN data goes through that.

There is one green data wire from the OBD port on our LSJs that doesn’t get grouped together with the others so heads up when you get to that point.

averageJOEschmo

The wiring harness was difficult and really intimidating but if you take your time you can get thru it. My suggested tips:
1) Watch all the videos and take notes and wall through the steps before actually cutting wires out.
2) Watch the old archived videos too as sometimes they have different options or connectors
3) get the wiring and connector diagrams from alldata.com, they help answer the questions you may have from the videos or will confirm the video instructions
4) when in doubt, keep it rather than cut it, you can always cut it later when you're sure
5) I echo the plywood layout recommendation

I took my time with this process and was pretty meticulous but I think it was worth it.

As to your questions regarding the ABS and airbag connectors:
ABS- most of those wires can be removed, however your LAN wires almost certainly go through there so check where you will need to route them before cutting the other end. The wires from the wheel speed sensors can definitely be removed. Ultimately the whole connector will be removed so you can cut the wires and then label the ones you're still unsure of with there connector location.
Airbag- I'm 98٪ confident they will all be removed, I think the videos cover it pretty well.

Good luck!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Lonny posted this image when I was thinning my harness and I asked about the ABS connector. The meaning is pretty clear: cut it off.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Don't be intimidated by the wiring. It really isn't too bad but it does take time. I followed the new videos then went back and watched some of the archived ones. The only mistake I made was that one OBD wire and it wasn't that difficult to find and fix.

If you can, watch the videos where you are wiring. Garage w/ wifi and an iPad helped me a ton.

I prefer Tesa tape over regular electrical tape. And I recommend waiting to wrap the entire harness till after you test it during first start. I wrapped as I went and sometimes I had too much wire, sometimes not enough, and sometimes, it just would have been better to move a wire around before wrapping.

Don't forget, we're here to help.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I recorded my 06 LSJ harness, and some of the video footage wasn't corrupted.
So it is half finished...

The GM high speed LAN wires are here.
The GM low speed LAN wires are here.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I agree with Escape Pilot: I wish I had just cinched things up until it was running as I've gone back into the harness a couple of times now. I set up a TV linked to the YouTube and watched it that way. What takes Lonnie 5-10 minutes to do took me many, many hours to do. I had 36.5 hours in harness work.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I think those get dealt with later on in the videos. They get connected at some point later on.

I'll let someone confirm this as well, as it's been a while since I did my harness wiring.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Yup, I understand they'll be used later but...they should be connected to one of these plugs and rolled up for later use. That's what I'm stuck on. Thanks.
The plugs were thinned from the harness, you won't use those later.

Per Lonny in post #75 from my build thread (linked in my reply above):
You should have a pair of data wires heading toward the front from your ECM.
You should have a pair of data wires coming out of the BCM.attach those to the ECM data wires.
Tan to tan and tan/black to tan/black.

...and post #76 right after that:
If you follow the two brown twisted wires next to your red arrows they should arrive at your power steering connector. A tan pair should leave there and go to your OBDII connector.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Post #75 and #76...I have no idea what you're talking about?!?

In the main harness thinning video Lonny rolls up these brown data wires and they are still connected to a plug. What plug is that on the main body harness???

The OBDII connector is on the dash harness...not the main body harness.
I'm guessing you didn't read my previous reply.

I want to say those are the same twisted brown ones I had questions about in my build log. These ultimately got extended/connected as Lonny pointed out in post #75 just below that post

Yes, that is the headliner plug and I believe the purple one is the rear defroster - I asked about the same one and Lonny identified it.
I'm referencing the posts in the link I provided previously. If you click the first one, you will see a similar question I had about the twisted brown wires during my build and Lonny's replies (posts #75 and #76 are right after where I linked to).

The second link refers to your question about the headliner wiring.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I watched the video again and the only reference to the twisted brown wires looks to be around the 2-minute mark when the brake control connector is removed. Are you asking about the ECM connector the brown wires are still attached to that gets draped over the fusebox? In the first organizing video, you will see those brown wires referenced at the beginning after you tape the first section of the ECM connector. Those get extended in a later video.

If you are still on the first thinning video, there will be a lot of things that will be loose and not connected to anything. It is recommended to watch several videos ahead before executing a given video. I personally watched all of them ahead of starting. I didn't understand a lot of what was being done but it started to make sense as I worked through the videos.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Are you finished going through all the instructional videos? I don't remember this being an issue in mine after watching them all the way through (I did have many question though). I watched them all multiple times before attempting the harness thinning and all. If you watch the whole series, things will make much more sense as you go through the first stages.

Remember, the first few videos are just thinning the harness (i.e. taking out useless stuff). You'll begin the connecting and extending phases later on.

Last edited:

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I will try to be as simple, and succinct, as possible in my question.

Build Guide Part 10 - Thinning the Body Harness - VIDEO HERE

At 15.56 - "remove one pare of twisted wires from multiplug" - this appears to be the main dash harness plug located on the body harness.

at 16:10 - "do not cut the pair of twisted wires from the black and purple multiplug"
That clears it up quite a bit. You may want to lead off with what video you are referencing. I assumed you meant the new videos as it wasn't stated you were using the old videos.