Organization Methodology

PaulPerger

Being in the research phase, having never built a car before, and being rather detail oriented, I have been researching how to stay very organized when I begin this project next year.

Being a numbers guy (I am an Asst Controller) I of course think in terms of numbers, spreadsheets and data.

I know I need to LABEL, LABEL, LABEL. Not being a mechanic, but having some mechanical skills, my current "fear" is I will label something with a name during a video and then not know what that means later during assembly. I have thought about using some sort of numbering system. I guarantee when I am done, I'll have a much better idea of how I would have liked to do it, but I am hoping someone here has had the same, "I wish I would have...." that can be passed on to me and other current/ future builders out there.

Peregrinus

Pictures have saved me a few times. Label things, then take a picture in their original environment. Looking back at the pictures, sometimes you don't realize how far you had things torn apart.
This for sure, anytime I think I might forget, I take multiple pics from multiple angles.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
When disassembling, there are several bits of hardware you will reuse. Use baggies and labels in them to keep track of what came from where. :)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I see where you are coming from. Not everyone knows what the MAF, MAP, SRS, ABS, B1S2 HO2S acronyms are, much less what they are or where they are. This could get confusing quickly. Maybe look up the parts and make a picture database?, then you can reference them on the vehicle, so you can label them correctly.

and as said before take pics. Close up, far away, even a video here and there. you may spend a few more bucks, but I prefer a running and driving car as a doner. With it operational, you can go for a drive and make sure everything is working, then once it’s in the goblin, you can reference pics and videos if something isn’t working.

PaulPerger

I see where you are coming from. Not everyone knows what the MAF, MAP, SRS, ABS, B1S2 HO2S acronyms are, much less what they are or where they are. This could get confusing quickly.
EXACTLY my concern.

Maybe look up the parts and make a picture database?, then you can reference them on the vehicle, so you can label them correctly.
VERY Good idea!! I can start working on that now!

You may spend a few more bucks, but I prefer a running and driving car as a doner. With it operational, you can go for a drive and make sure everything is working, then once it’s in the goblin, you can reference pics and videos if something isn’t working.
Agreed. I am actually seriously considering buying a Cobalt SS as a second car now, to drive it, change the oil, learn it well before tearing it apart.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I work on trucks for a living. 99% chevrolet trucks. I know what all the acronyms, sensors and connectors are, to a T. When I pulled the harness out and started to hack on it, I quickly realized I can’t identify all of them on their own. :eek: most I could, but not all. Labels and pics were my friend.

The wiring harness is very tedious, but it can be done on your own.

a lot of the mechanical stuff (to me) seems to fall into place once it’s going in the goblin.

Anks329

I used label zip ties, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Marker-250pcs-Self-Locking-Ethernet-Marking/dp/B07DNXKVVK/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=label+zip+ties&qid=1600744878&sr=8-6 and gave every connector a number and then used a writing pad to track the numbers and what the connector was for. Every couple of nights, I would take my handwritten list and type it up so I wouldn't miss anything. Despite all of this, I still missed a few connectors and mislabeled others. Go slowly with the teardown and take lots of pictures!

MisterDave

I felt the same when starting my build. I used zip tie labels like Anks329 suggested. I labeled every part and every bolt and every wire. I used marked zip lock bags for any hardware. On the labels I would number the part and try to name it. Then I would keep a note book with every number and what part I thought it was. One thing that helped me a lot was I also marked which video and timestamp for each part. That way I could check back at the disassembly video to see exactly where that part came from. It can be annoying at times, but during assembly it was a really good check to see where everything came from.

PaulPerger

I used label zip ties, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Marker-250pcs-Self-Locking-Ethernet-Marking/dp/B07DNXKVVK/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=label+zip+ties&qid=1600744878&sr=8-6 and gave every connector a number and then used a writing pad to track the numbers and what the connector was for. Every couple of nights, I would take my handwritten list and type it up so I wouldn't miss anything. Despite all of this, I still missed a few connectors and mislabeled others. Go slowly with the teardown and take lots of pictures!
PERFECT. This is one thing I thought about. I will likely make up a spreadsheet with numbers ahead of time and do the same, write it, then type it.

I felt the same when starting my build. I used zip tie labels like Anks329 suggested. I labeled every part and every bolt and every wire. I used marked zip lock bags for any hardware. On the labels I would number the part and try to name it. Then I would keep a note book with every number and what part I thought it was. One thing that helped me a lot was I also marked which video and timestamp for each part. That way I could check back at the disassembly video to see exactly where that part came from. It can be annoying at times, but during assembly it was a really good check to see where everything came from.
ALSO PERFECT!! I hadn't even thought about Video & Timestamp. Two more columns for my spreadsheet...

Thank You ALL... These are the kinds of tips and hints I need...

Might be buying my donor this weekend. SS with the G85 performance package, 111k miles. $2,800. I'm going to try to get the price down a little bit, but it is a completely drivable car as it stands, so worth a little more than a wrecked car. It is very dirty, unkempt (it has been sitting for a year), but running and driving nicely from what I was told. Needs an oil change and needs a brake job... Two things I can easily do. Sounds like a little work and a good detailing and I'll have a decent daily driver 'till next summer when I am ready to start disassembly...

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
What year is the donor?

You'll want to check on the timing chain tensioner ASAP.

Go ahead and change the oil, but don't bother with the brake job unless you MUST do it to get the car to its final resting place.

PaulPerger

What year is the donor?
2006 SS/SC

You'll want to check on the timing chain tensioner ASAP.

Go ahead and change the oil, but don't bother with the brake job unless you MUST do it to get the car to its final resting place.
If I buy it now, it will be a "Daily Driver", so I will have to do the brakes. If I get it, I'll do research on what "bib brakes" can be added to both the DF and the Cobalt. Might possibly do wheels too.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I believe the supplied front rotors and calipers are the same on all kits. I don't remember if they are just standard Cobalt brakes or not.

The rear brakes vary depending on if you order the parking brake kit. The ones with the parking brake kit are from a Pontiac Solstice, as are the pads.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Before I started, I printed out wiring diagrams for every single system on the car. I bought a small dymo labeler as well. The wires can be labeled by their circuit numbers from the diagram if you don't know what they do. I assure you, you will forget a wire and then find yourself having to retrace it later if you didn't label it.

When taking something apart, I always use ziploc bags and I put the nuts/bolts from each component or area in a seperate bag, and then label the bag. You can get some good component diagrams from the GM parts websites. I recommend you print those diagrams out as well and keep them with the ziplock bags.