OTTP Shift Clamps + Hurst Short Shifter

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Hey friends,
I have what appears to be a Hurst Short Shifter compliments of my donor car. When dissassembling, I threw away the plastic shift clamps that attach the shift ball ends to the cables because it's not mentioned to retain them.

I've purchased OTTP bottom/side cable clamps but I'm having a hard time installing them and feeling good about it.

Attached are pictures, but basically the side part has a white plastic clip on the ball end. The main center/lower ball end does not. The smaller of the OTTP clamps does not fit over either. The Larger fits over both, but does not stay on or is very loose.

Can anyone help fill in the blanks, tell me what i'm doing wrong, or whatever? Did I screw up?

Thanks!

Edit: I've fit the side, just have concerns about the middle one now - it's super loose.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I can't find that part# new or used anywhere, so I bought aftermarket. I asked on the forums and no one responded so I just went ahead. I knwo of other people who have used aftermarket ones and worked around the DF threaded rod so I'm not worried about the size differences, I'm going to weld the correct size to the DF size.

What i'm concerned about is the ball joints.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I can't find that part# new or used anywhere, so I bought aftermarket. I asked on the forums and no one responded so I just went ahead. I knwo of other people who have used aftermarket ones and worked around the DF threaded rod so I'm not worried about the size differences, I'm going to weld the correct size to the DF size.

What i'm concerned about is the ball joints.
Ah gotcha. If it matters, mine were really hard to get off, so the tight one might be for the bottom and the looser one on the side. The white clip on the one side, shouldn’t be there, though. That goes on the stock stuff as far as I know.

I’m assuming these were for a cobalt? I do have the same shifter too.

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Yeah, for a cobalt.

I manned up and jammed the side one on and its snug now, but the big one rattles when attached to the center/lower one.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
It's WAY too loose without it on the side one, without the white clip it's like a hot dog in a hallway. It fits with the white clip on the side now.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Someone sent me a pic of his with the same setup and his has a white clip on it so I think it's ok. Just gotta figure out the lower one now, and if it has a clip on it or not.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Hey friends,
I have what appears to be a Hurst Short Shifter compliments of my donor car. When dissassembling, I threw away the plastic shift clamps that attach the shift ball ends to the cables because it's not mentioned to retain them.

I've purchased OTTP bottom/side cable clamps but I'm having a hard time installing them and feeling good about it.

Attached are pictures, but basically the side part has a white plastic clip on the ball end. The main center/lower ball end does not. The smaller of the OTTP clamps does not fit over either. The Larger fits over both, but does not stay on or is very loose.

Can anyone help fill in the blanks, tell me what i'm doing wrong, or whatever? Did I screw up?

Thanks!

Edit: I've fit the side, just have concerns about the middle one now - it's super loose.
Did you already read Prime's post about this?...

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Yeah, Mr. Prime and me are bffs and he's been giving me a hard time for being too light on the bushing installation.

I think my only question left may have been answered by RTToys, so I guess it's just extremely loose fitting? That seems....... not good.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I jiggled mine and it didn't have any play in the socket, but was still able to move it around the ball. No plastic on the center. Just send it, ya flower (lol)

Your Hurst ball may be to blame?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
It fits snug around the ball just fine BUT the problem is it doesn't have anything stopping it from going either direction to either call off or go up the shaft aside from a lil tension.

Like, I can push it on and it's there, but I can keep pushing and it doesn't stop and it eventually goes into the shaft past the ball and flops around. The last thing I want from a piece this critical is for it to not be secured.

Also, rude.

HOBGOBLIN

I jiggled mine and it didn't have any play in the socket, but was still able to move it around the ball. No plastic on the center. Just send it, ya flower (lol)

Your Hurst ball may be to blame?

View attachment 15954
how did you get your ottp clamps to stay tight on the DF cables? Did you just go up past the threaded part? I have the clamps put put them aside because of the thread size difference.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
how did you get your ottp clamps to stay tight on the DF cables? Did you just go up past the threaded part? I have the clamps put put them aside because of the thread size difference.
The key to using the OTTP clamps is that you have to cut the stock Cobalt rods (which have the correct diameter) and weld / attach them to the DF rods. You could also probably go to a big box and find a rod with a thread that would work and use that if you no longer have the Cobalt rods.

In the large blurry pic above about 30% up from the bottom in the middle of the pic you can see where I welded the stock rod to DF's rod.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
What would be perfect is to replace DF's ball end with one that has the correct thread size for the OTTP one - that way you'd have no need to weld.

I have a welder so I am not spending that much time looking for the correct size parts but I think the ball joint thing is 10mm? They probably sell a 10mm ball join that has an inlet for the size that OTTP uses, then just get the correct threaded rod too.