Painjack's All Terrain Gobin build (#277) (Picture Heavy)

Painjack

I have not looked in a while, I know that they were working on a new set of videos. If they are still the old ones that just show the standard version, be prepared for the coolant pipes and radiator to be very different. You won't run pipes through the frame rails, and have to turn 180 from the the main water pump connection. I ended up buying a pre-formed 180 degree hose section, then a couple 90 degree sections if I remember right.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Just finished installing the parking brakes, finished up a laminated safety glass windshield earlier this year. With the parking brakes on, it should now pass a Michigan inspection (TR-54 Form), and I should hopefully be able to get it plated and street legal in the near future.
Who did your windshield and frame?

Painjack

I built the frame, it's made of 11 gauge mild steel, with a second piece of the same and bolts between the two. Weather strip foam on both sides, and then the glass is sandwiched in between them. I cut it all out of cardboard to get the fit and shape right, then plasma cut it out of a big sheet of steel. Made another cardboard form that I took into a local glass shop and had them cut out a piece to match that.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I built the frame, it's made of 11 gauge mild steel, with a second piece of the same and bolts between the two. Weather strip foam on both sides, and then the glass is sandwiched in between them. I cut it all out of cardboard to get the fit and shape right, then plasma cut it out of a big sheet of steel. Made another cardboard form that I took into a local glass shop and had them cut out a piece to match that.
Did you source a specific windshield from another car make/model or is the glass a custom cut piece?

Painjack

Did you source a specific windshield from another car make/model or is the glass a custom cut piece?
It is a custom piece of flat glass, it was about 200$ at a local glass shop to get made. I wrestled for a while with trying to find something that would fit like a corvette windshield or the like, but finding dimensions online was troublesome, and in the end I was not up for making a curved frame anyway.

That windshield looks bullet proof!
KAL
Thank you! The fit is a little off on the bottom corners, but for what it is it will work. It is a little annoying that you have to take the windshield off to open the hood, but there isn't much under there anyway.

averageJOEschmo

uh, I used what DF sent me? Not trying to be a jerk, but I don't really get what you are asking here.
No problem, the question just shows my ignorance. It was my understanding that the cobalts stock front suspension were to be reused, and yours didn't look stock. I did not realize DF provided something else. Thanks for clarifying!

Painjack

Just applied for my title today, the folks at the SOS office were surprisingly helpful! The initial vehicle inspection wasn't bad either, once I finally found someone who would do it. My county sheriff department apparently doesn't do Assembled Vehicle inspections anymore, I had to head up to the State Police district building, with the Goblin on a trailer, to get the desk sergeant to come out and do the inspection. He was very nice about it though. Now I just have to wait 8 to 10 weeks..