Paint color

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
So I have to ask. Is it bad form to powder coat and paint the same colors as someone else. SACTX has already built exactly what I wanted. I was going to go with something similar to my RC cars. Im at the point where I’m about to order seats and harness9D9CDC4B-3C16-4F6D-9B8E-B7BCD1FBE73F.jpeg

Brett

The reality is that every one of these cars will end up with your own personal touch. Color wise, I think you will be good to go. Whatever you do will be different from what SACTX has done.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Go with what you like... all in all in the end it is your car so make it how you want to. I am not so much worried about copying anyone.... I still dont know what my frame color is going to be!

Peregrinus

What's the saying.. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Like the others said do what you want, I don't think anyone would take offense.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
What's the saying.. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Like the others said do what you want, I don't think anyone would take offense.
That is exactly what I was thinking. If you like someone else ideas, nothing wrong with using it. It’s flattering to those that originated. Besides there is no way the two could be the exact same, everyone makes it their own in the end. If you like the ideas, go with it. That’s why we share.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Absolutely not. Do exactly what you want with it. My original scheme was exactly the same as SACTX's also, but it evolved over time and eventually became something completely different. I think at that point, he would have been copying me?! I dunno, it's whatever man!

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I have the exact same frame color as another builder, he didn't mind. My floor panels & subframe are a different color of black and my body panels are completely unique, so they're both different kits still. The frame itself is only part of the equation. If you copied 100% everything, maybe I could see someone being unnerved but even then, it's your car do what you wish.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Well I wanted to go psychedelic space vortex but then @Mayor West and I can't roll together. I'm definitely not cool enough to run around with my twin, especially if he's got a turbo and I don't. I'm already copying his headlight design, although I will maintain I came up with the same idea on my own. I doubt you're building an exact replica so I'd recommend proceeding with black and orange!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Eh, "copying" people really doesn't matter. I think 99.9% of our forum members here have long since checked their egos at the door, as people here offer free advice, tips, and technical information at the drop of a hat, day in and day out.

Hell, I shamelessly "copied" West's headlight setup myself; he even provided me the 3D-printed parts for mounting them. But what's funny about it is, for many months, dating back to when I first hooked up my Dominators, I wanted something better/brighter/safer/etc. I had a wide array of different headlights (and different buckets to mount them in) in my various shopping carts, for literally months. I couldn't decide which set I wanted, and the method of mounting had me indecisive because I don't yet have a 3D printer and I can't really fab metal. He ended up getting the same setup and designed a great mounting system, so hats off to West. But from the outside looking in, who "copied" who? I was planning my setup for a long time, and he implemented the same setup before I got around to it.

The bottom line is, who cares? I don't feel "copied", and I don't feel like I "copied". We're all a big happy Goblin family!

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Well I wanted to go psychedelic space vortex but then @Mayor West and I can't roll together. I'm definitely not cool enough to run around with my twin, especially if he's got a turbo and I don't. I'm already copying his headlight design, although I will maintain I came up with the same idea on my own. I doubt you're building an exact replica so I'd recommend proceeding with black and orange!
@Rauq if you copy my space theme in addition to my headlight design, I'm going to have to sue you for attempted sexiness - which is not allowed under penile code 69.420... your move hot shot.

feel free to have a space theme, IDGAF

Rauq

Goblin Guru
@Rauq if you copy my space theme in addition to my headlight design, I'm going to have to sue you for attempted sexiness - which is not allowed under penile code 69.420... your move hot shot.

feel free to have a space theme, IDGAF
Yeah maybe I don't want to finish my car in time to meet up at your place in March...

Lokian

Not 100% but current idea is flat black frame with wrap where there cheap enough I can change it if I change my mind first wrap will probably be this orange I found
Im doing the same. Black out most of the frame and part and then wrap the hood etc... that way if I want to change colors, all I need to do is wrap a few parts.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I think if I had to go again for a paint choice, I'd pick a light blue.... Playboy Blue from Prismatic was always my runner-up. I love the "flat" glossy colors though, that orange you posted is slick. After having all the things installed like body panels and hood, the frame isn't as much of a pop as I may have liked - but I do love my grey, though.