Panel Coating Options

Iwanttogofast

I did a search first, but did not see that this has been addressed in the past…

I’m in kind of a tough spot and weighing my options right now on what to do with my aluminum floor panels. I need to get this done soon so that I can then run my hoses and flip the chassis back over. I was going to roll my floor panels with black bedliner, but everything that I see states to apply in a well ventilated area – even the low VOC ones. I live in NE Ohio and do not have access to a climate-controlled (70deg) AND well ventilated area in order to apply. It’s freaking wintertime, so I either apply in a climate-controlled outbuilding and breathe harmful vapors, or I open the doors and apply in much colder temps than stated. Should I just leave them in bare aluminum and add non-slip, adhesive-backed pads? Is that going to look like crap? And is the aluminum for these panels protected in any way with clearcoat, or something? Do I need to worry about that, since they are aluminum and not steel?

Ross

Goblin Guru
So many options. Maybe a painter's mask would protect you from the VOCs??? Or hook up a clean vacuum to blow air in your face, put it in a fresh air area, and run a long hose.

I put bed liner on the bottom of my floor pan. It took a lot longer to dry than I wanted (a month), and would get black on your clothing if you bumped it.
The top of my floor pan is raw aluminum.... race car look. Non slip pads would be nice, or carpet mats if you want to get fancy. Aluminum can oxidize (white powdery stuff) but not likely on a Goblin, as it is parked indoors and doesn't get much rain driving.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I used krypton spray on bedliner in the rattle can and it’s pretty tough. Hit aluminum with some 320 grit sand paper, warm the metal and the can a little. Find somewhere in the sun and out of the wind, spray it quickly, let it flash and carry it back inside.

Dsteinhorst

Run it down to the powder coater. You won't regret it. Just do a matte finish. Gloss black doesn't cut it. (Ask me how I know.)

Mahkoi

I did my floor panels in Steel-It "black" (I think it looks more like a super dark gray) . It looks good but I can't speak for durability since it's sitting on jack stands and no one has been in the Goblin yet. You'll definitely want a well ventilated area if you go that route....that is some strong smelling paint.

ColoradoCryptoTrader

I am planning on either roll on bed liner or powdercoating it something similar to Prismatic PTB-6419 super grip black.

for the floor pan that faces the inside of the car I am thinking ebay brand dynamat with carpet sections on top.