Parking brake cable route

Lndshrk Steve

Is it the builders option or is there a correct way to route the parking brake cable around the rear A-arm? Above the A-arm and below the axle or below the A-arm?

Lndshrk Steve

Yeah . . . On one setup I've seen, maybe a prototype, it shows above the A-arm BUT there is no axle in the frame and the cable wasn't attached to the subframe. I thought I'd try to get a consensus.

KSLunsfo

Mine are also above the control arm and below tie rod. The drivers side was slightly resting on the control arm, my somewhat temporary solution was to zip tie it to the tie rod.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Is it the builders option or is there a correct way to route the parking brake cable around the rear A-arm? Above the A-arm and below the axle or below the A-arm?
Mine is along the subframe, above the A-arm and loosely tied to the tie rod. everything else is per the photo montage.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I think I started off over/in front of the toe rod but was able to have a more gradual bend by going under/behind it.

G-Quest

For an alternative approach to p. brake cable routing I'm taking a page from @Ross's playbook (no good modification goes uncopied). In this case I've taken the aluminum sheaths and straightened them so they head straight back - with a little jog to clear the subframe. The '06 SS/SC LSJ has an indentation that allows the cables to exit almost at midpoint of the engine and then loop gently (?) around to the calipers. I had to fabricate a bracket and bend the support wires a little. Works well. I would have tried to use the cables in their natural state but I ran into two problems 1) I couldn't figure out how to route the cables with the least sharp bends and 2) I had already cut off the radiator supports on the subframe before powder coating to "clean things up".

Some evidence (er, pictures),
20220329_183902.jpg20220329_184102.jpg

20220329_184129.jpg20220329_184204.jpg

Chubbs

I find it funny that out of 300+ cars sold, there are probably 300 different examples of how to route a parking brake. Are any two alike?