Parking Brakes

terryjr

rear 2000 miata stuff bored to 66mm hub, caliper adapter to spindle, 96-07 subaru parking brake cables. done. ?

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Most states that require a parking brake want them to be independent of the cars braking system. Would love if that solution was a possibility in WA!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Most states that require a parking brake want them to be independent of the cars braking system.
That is how PA is worded.

(c) Parking Brake System - A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with a parking brake system. See 75 Pa.C.S. §4502. (1) A parking brake system shall be adequate to hold the vehicle on a surface free from ice or snow on a 20% grade with vehicle in neutral. (2) The parking brakes shall be separately actuated so that failure of any part of the service brake actuation system will not diminish the vehicle’s parking brake holding capability

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I ran in to a slight issue while installing the parking brake calipers. Last night I got the mounts, rotors, and calipers mounted. I had a issue with the caliper brackets They ended up rubbing the rotors on the inside. The right side was enough to make the rotor hard to turn. The left was just barely touching but enough to make a noise when the car would be moving. I had to put a washer between the spindle and the machined bracket just a thin washer worked.
Pic 1.jpg

Where I think the issue is that GM machines the outer part of spindle to measure the correct distance from the back of the rotor where the factory calipers mount (green arrow) The back of the spindle is not machined and the different castings i'm almost sure knowing GM that all castings are a different thickness ( Orange arrow) So this may be an issue on other builders. Easy to overcome though.. I have spoken with Adam about this and they are working on it. I just figured I would share it in case someone else runs into the same problem
pic 2.jpg

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Has anyone else completed a parking brakes? Debating an electronic unit....
I hope to have mine all hooked up tomorrow. all I have left is to route cables and connect them. I thought about the electric set up but went for the handle style .

Christopher Sanchez

Has anyone else completed a parking brakes? Debating an electronic unit....
Are you still having trouble with the parking brakes? I have been following this thread as I eventually will have to install a parking brake as well. Aren’t you waiting on an updated T/C caliper bracket from DF? Or thinking of going electronic strictly out of preference / cool upgrade?

Christopher Sanchez

I am also curious if DF have looked into Chevrolet Malibu rear brakes as they look similar to Pontiac solstice calipers but seem to be much cheaper..

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
I am not having any issues with the parking brake. They designed and built a new adapter for the TC models. Might go electric due to mounting options.

New adapter
20181222_141909.jpg

20181222_142059.jpg
20181222_142334.jpg

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Any pics of of the handle you can share?
It is similar to the Lokar brake handle. I got the complete kit from eBay came with cables and some mounting brackets. this is where it came from https://www.johnnylawmotors.com/catalog/brake-parts/emergency-brakes/floor-mount-emergency-brakes/ASC7AE15/floor-mnt-black-e-brake-handle-black-boot-chr-ring-cable-kit-gm-clevis ( I did not pay that much)! I will have more photos tomorrow. see this post for pictures.
http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/karter2026s-city-goblin-09-lt-donor-pa-build.483/page-3#post-14192

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Yeah I have looked at the Americean Shifter stuff, basically Lokar. Appreciate the link for pictures. Was hoping to avoid having to build a unit to go over the center console but after taking measurements it looks like the only way. I need to decide in the next day or two......plan to aim for an inspection the week of the 7th-11th.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Yeah I have looked at the Americean Shifter stuff, basically Lokar. Appreciate the link for pictures. Was hoping to avoid having to build a unit to go over the center console but after taking measurements it looks like the only way. I need to decide in the next day or two......plan to aim for an inspection the week of the 7th-11th.
I think you could just mount the handle to the tunnel cap with the provided brackets. It will require some type of cover. Maybe out of some type of vinyl or leather. I will post more pictures up on my build log tomorrow evening after I hopefully finish it up.

SliderR1

I'm planning on building an electronic version at some point, but its pretty far down the list for me. Their are tons of linear actuators out there, the trick is figuring out how much pull strength and coupling it with one that has the right actuating distance/speed and then not costing a fortune... From my limited research, it seems the ones with higher pull strength and quick movement are not that plentiful or cheap. It may be possible to source one from a newer car at a junkyard - maybe...

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I'm planning on building an electronic version at some point, but its pretty far down the list for me. Their are tons of linear actuators out there, the trick is figuring out how much pull strength and coupling it with one that has the right actuating distance/speed and then not costing a fortune... From my limited research, it seems the ones with higher pull strength and quick movement are not that plentiful or cheap. It may be possible to source one from a newer car at a junkyard - maybe...
I had the thought of looking at what came in the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. It had electric parking brakes. That was the only year as far as I know I owned a 14 and 15 both had hand operated brake.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
That will take a lot of torque to set the brakes and then it has to have some form of off-power holding with a way to release them. I like the idea, but it could be as complicated as manual parking brakes in the end.