Paul's Track Goblin - 2006 SS/SC

PaulPerger

Awesome, I'm glad you liked my results! O-Prime initially convinced me (unknowingly I think) because of his pear-colored hood. I was worried that the Wicked Wine would be too plain, but it turned out great and people like it a lot better than my original white/red stripes scheme.
I agree with "people"... The wicked wine is sublime! The white with blue stripes was a very classic look, but that wine color is beautiful!

PaulPerger

Sold my seats. Was going to sell them for $400, but I decided to let them go for $300 because the guy that bought them is going to buy a bunch more parts from me to restore his 2007 Cobalt SS. We were literally walking back and forth from his car to mine looking at pieces and parts deciding what he wants. Steering wheel for sure as his is trashed. I was kind of looking forward to blowing up the airbag, but I'd rather add to my seat and wheel fund!!

Got an inquiry about the front bumper and the doors. I'm selling it faster than I can take it apart! Good problem to have I guess!

PaulPerger

A bit of an unusual "Progress" photo, but last night I completed building my "Garage Shed" to move some stuff out of the garage to make room for the build. Now I just need to finalize the interior modifications and move some stuff!

PaulPerger

So, it's been a month since I got my Goblin and until last night it sat in my garage completely untouched. Unfortunately, I was out of town for three weekends in a row (two to go racing in my Fiat), then out of the country, then at the Miami F1 race, but last night I finally got to do something... I unpacked my kit.

The frame is now empty:

The boxes are sorted into bins. I will start going through boxes next week after I clean out the garage a little more this weekend.

Small steps I know, but needed steps. Video production starts soon...

One of the reasons I am building the Goblin is I am getting a little more serious about my racing. I have always run 200 TW street legal tires in the past, but decided to buy some Toyo Proxess R888s for my two track weekends last month. While I was THRILLED with the grip I got out of these, and I knew they would wear faster than my usual 200 TW tires, I was pretty shocked when I took these off my car... The top two came off the front. The two Tracks had a total of 7 hard left turns and only three hard right turns... It is pretty clear which tire was on the right front getting leaned on!!

This is a total of about 150 miles of racing, and about 500 miles of street driving during the two weeks between the two events.

Some photos from the Miami F1 race weekend (a VERY worthy distraction from working on my open wheel race car...)

Me and my Fiat Abarth buddy, Nelson, who joined me on Raceday. I am a Charles Leclerc fan, but my boss bought the tickets and he is a huge Red Bull fan and the tickets came with some swag, so I wore it. Maybe if I had worn my Leclerc gear he would have won...

Both of the girls went with me on Saturday, and I was properly dressed for the Ferrari sweep of Row 1. Zelda (the older one) was interested for about an hour. MacKenna was thrilled all day! I swear she told me 6 times, "Papa, I want a racecar!"

I knew MacKenna would love it on Saturday because she went with me on Friday while Zelda was in school... Don't let her car loving ways fool you, she is still a girly girl and insisted on wearing a dress. I sure am glad I didn't burn through these tires in two weekends!! These are what the "Porsche Series" run and one of them cost more than my whole set!

MacKenna may only be two, but she knows what she likes. When the "W Series" and the "Porsche Challenge" cars were running, she told me she likes them better than the F1 cars because "they sound like your car, Papa!"

Attachments

PaulPerger

Worked on the donor today... Removed the rear brakes as someone gave me $200 for them.

I'm not disassembling yet in the order recommended on the videos, as I am disassembling in the order in which things sell right now. If I don't need it, and I can remove it from the car without compromising my ability to move the car into the garage next weekend (when I plan to really begin tear down), it is coming off and getting sold!!

My wife still doesn't understand... She asked yesterday, "So, why did you buy the Orange car if you are just going to take it apart and sell all the pieces you take off?"

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Mine asked the same thing, and asked it many more times when I came home with a second donor. She about lost her mind ... but I kept assuring her, the final product will be unrecognizable and 100% worth it. She did eventually agree with that assessment.

PaulPerger

Been doing some wheel & tire research. Well, wheel & tire shopping...

I think I want a staggered tire setup. For two reasons, first, I am thinking a staggered tire set up might help with getting air flowing better in the front of the car. I plan to add a front splitter or wing and I think having a slight tire height difference between the front and rear will help ever so slightly with generating some down-force. I am thinking about going 18 x 10 inch in the rear and 17 x 8.5 in the front. Second, I think a staggered tire setup looks awesome, and every performance car I have driven has had a staggered setup. Square makes sense for FWD, but I just think staggered will work better on the Goblin.

I will go with two distinct sets, one for "daily" use and one for track use. For "daily" use, I want good looking wheels and tires adequate for "aggressive spirited" driving. For the track I want LIGHT wheels... I don't really care what they look like with sticky track specific tires.

I may have found the perfect wheel for both applications. The Avid AV-6 is a great looking wheel and it is light, 22.5 & 19.3 lbs.

My biggest question is about the stagger... I am curious if there is anyone who has run both a staggered set up and a square set up on the Goblin who can give me advice on the differences.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I think a lot of manufactured based race cars use a square setup, but based mostly on what I have seen a limited number of forums. I also think a lot of “performance” cars come with smaller fronts is to help create understeer bias. But I did just check the Ariel Atom website and they do came with a staggered wheel size.

The ability to rotate tires was my deciding factor to go with a square setup.

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
My wife still doesn't understand... She asked yesterday, "So, why did you buy the Orange car if you are just going to take it apart and sell all the pieces you take off?"
Luckily my wife watched the videos from DF and Goonzquad so she understood what was going to happen to our yellow (your orange) car.

She just keeps asking when the frame will be here and when will I finally get rid of all the left over car parts.

PaulPerger

Luckily my wife watched the videos from DF and Goonzquad so she understood what was going to happen to our yellow (your orange) car.

She just keeps asking when the frame will be here and when will I finally get rid of all the left over car parts.
Love the fact that your wife watches the videos with you... I'm jealous... I don't know if my wife will ever even sit in the Goblin. She may sit out in the garage and watch me work from time to time, usually when she wants to talk and she knows I want to work. But that is the extent of her participation. I'll be surprised if she ever sits in it, let alone goes for a ride...

PaulPerger

I have found the wheels I am going to use whether I go square or staggered. I love the look of these, they are light and they aren't stupid expensive.

AVID1 AV6 Wheels
- Squared I will go with four 17x9s wearing 255/40 17 Falken Azensis 615K Plus rubber.
- Staggered I'll go with the same in front but with 18x10.5s in the rear wearing 275/35 18 Falkens.
- I might need 3/4 or 1 inch spacers for the 17s, but the rears should work without spacers.

PaulPerger

Did some more tear down and sold the bumpers, side skirts and wheel wells for a total of $400. I was asking $400 for the bumpers and wheel well inserts but the kid that came to buy them helped remove them in the pouring rain and he mentioned he needed the skirts as well, so I added them to the deal.

So, the car is looking more and more like a project car...

No front Bumper...

No Back Bumper...

No Sideskirts...

I'll be in Vegas next weekend, and the following weekend the major teardown begins...

PaulPerger

Well, It's been far too long. When we moved to Florida my beautiful wife wanted a pool. I wanted a LARGE garage. When we bought this house, it had my large garage, but it didn't have her pool. 2022 became the year of the pool build. I promised Trish I would put off working on my Goblin until her pool and the backyard was finished. The pool was supposed to take 5 months.... it took 9. Three of those months were due to some yahoo thinking it was funny to pose as my fence contractor when I mistakenly entered his phone number into my phone. Long story short, I put a "4" where a "7" should have been and when I called the wrong number, instead of telling me I had the wrong number, dude pretended to be my fence contractor. For the next three months he kept making excuses as to why he hadn't gotten my fence installed. HE EVEN CALLED ME!!!! Once I figured this out and called my contractor, the fence was installed in less than a week. F&#^$&% Moron!!!!

Once the pool was finished I got to work on building a deck and completing the landscaping. The last thing to do was to lay some sod. I finished laying the sod on Sunday April 9th and planned to start the Goblin build the following weekend. On April 12th however, it rained, and rained, and rained. We got 28 inches of rain in 28 hours and our neighborhood became a lake. I literally tied the Cobalt to the house because it was trying to float away. I got 10 inches of water in my garage and 3 inches throughout the interior of our house. Our back yard was 14 inches under water and the pool and marble deck were about three inches under water.

I learned that our neighborhood shares overflow drainage with two major highways and the Fort Lauderdale Airport. The airport was closed for a day and portions of the highways were closed for 2 days. Needless to say, their access to those overflows were given long before ours, and while the ground absorbed enough to drain water out of the house, the garage and the yard were under water for 5 days before our overflow drains were opened.

It's now been two months since the flood and we are finally all cleaned up and back to where we were before the rain. So, on Father's day, I got started on the #GoblinProject.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Wow, sorry to hear that. Can't imagine that much rain all at once. Sounds like you've got things squared away again, but the unplanned for problems are devastating none the less. Keep the faith and hopefully things will be better from now on.