Pennsylvania Registration

terryjr

How I registered my project in PA

My build was different but the same rules apply and i would expect yinz to go through same process, although maybe not as i have heard of other "kit" cars going right through. Some thing I see you'll likely need to add for the Goblin are Bumpers, Engine cover, Windshield, Wiper, Washer, Fenders, Heat Shield on muffler (maybe), parking brake & side markers.

August 10, 2018

I begin process for applying for a Specially Constructed Vehicle title. PennDot mandates any vehicle applying for a reconstructed, modified, special construction etc title first be inspected as road worthy by an "Enhanced Inspection Station". They have a list on their website and i called around trying to determine where i should go based on the guy on the phones understanding of the vehicle code. Since most vehicles using this process are applying for reconstructed titles (cars that may have been totaled hitting a deer and have been bought back and repaired), the mechanics dont really know whats required to be road legal, they just assume it should look like a car again. Well we arent building Nissan Altimas so I had to find an "open minded" type of guy.

My search landed me at Schneider's Trucks in McKees Rocks. Jim was an experienced mechanic and was never pessimistic. We went over the construction, lights, and safety without getting into all tiniest details. We agreed it was well built and road worthy, he even mentioned it road nicer than a lot of production cars. We then sat down and filled out an MV-426B, this is the form he's responsible for in letting Penndot know the vehicle was inspected to meet code. I passed his inspection but doesnt mean I'm in the clear. PennDot reviews the photos that he takes, signs, and dates submitted with the MV-426B to see if he "missed" anything. There was some confusion on the MV426, we didnt really know what to check in the repaired/replaced section so he only checked off suspension? And for GRVW, we entered 3000 pounds. The truck empty was 2400 pounds. (for Truck tags only)

I trailered Exotruck back home since it was raining here and there and i didnt want stuck in it. Then I took my paper work to the notary Jim recommended, Frags Tags in Coraopolis Pa.
Paperwork being:
new completed MV-426B, the Photos, a weight slip (needed because mines a "truck") i got at ABC Recycling next door, My Subaru forester clean title, my build cost recap sheet with parts cost broken out showing what i have and have not paid taxes on, and all the receipts for the parts. And a copy of my drivers licence and current vehicle insurance card.

At the notary we went over the papers, briefly. I think this process went quickly because i had a broken down recap sheet of all my parts (over $20) and how tax was paid. At the bottom was totals and stapled behind the recap sheet was all my receipts. Mostly internet sheets form Summit Racing and other on line retails. I also included the orders for steel from Alro showing I purchased them and i paid tax. I could have either chosen "passenger car" or "truck". We chose truck because the penndot lady asked for a weight slip because i mentioned it looked like a truck, and it sorta says Exotruck on the tailgate. He then filled out the paper MV-1, this is the actual application form to apply for a title. This same form applies for a registration. The registration is what gets you a license plate and one year worth the street rental. He added up my build cost, applied 7% tax, gave me a tax credit for what i already paid in tax, tacked on the truck registration fee $62 and some other fees and $401.40 later he took all my papers and mailed them, in to Penndot. Then said have a nice day if theres an issuer ill call you, if not expect your plate in the mail in 3 weeks.

IF the plate comes, i still have to get my window sticker on, this is the standard PA inspection sticker showing cars been road worthy tested at a inspection station. This is a separate but very similar inspection to the Enhance inspection.

Got a call from garage. They said PennDOT called him with lots of questions.

They have issues with my glass. They want it to say AS1
They have issues with my polycarbonate panels. They think they offer little protection. I guess leather chaps on a bike are better.
They cant see my license plate lights
They want to know how i calculated my GVWR
And she said it sounds like a motorcycle, so apparently they are look me up online.

I'm less than happy right now.

I spoke to PennDOT yesterday. At this point they are only requesting a cert from the glass cutter. He sent me a cert for the AS1 ANSI Z26.1 but it wasnt signed. This morning I'm going to walk over and ask him to sign it. After that i will take it up to my local State Rep and have them deliver it to the address the PennDOT woman gave me.

She mentioned yesterday that the supervisor has the rest of my papers and is reviewing them with an engineer.

Got a call from the man himself. The supervisor and an engineer/quality official are going to drive out to Pittsburgh on September 7th to take a personal look at the truck. I'm actually looking forward to it, I feel like I did a quality job and I would like them to see that. Just gotta fix my horn lol. I only know of one other build that got a personal visit and that was the ShopperChopper giant grocery cart. The DMV guy said it was somewhat common though, so there must be a lot of off grid builds out there.

Met at shop again with a PennDOT QOA guy. The head guy from Harrisburg did not come like I had thought. This guy had a very detailed secret check list. My decision to throw a window washer in paid off since that was on his list. I don't think I missed anything. His only concern was my big hose clamp type battery hold down, and that he thought a heat sheild between tail pipe and fuel fill may be a good idea. He also asked again for the AS1 window cert. He took lots of photos of brakes, wiring, engine, dot markings on lights. Overall he said he liked it and it was much better built that a rat rod. But he also said his opinion means nothing.

He'll do his report and then someone in Harrisburg will review it and either title it or let me know if I need to change anything.

Letter received from PennDOT with the recap from QOA inspection. Items to address:

-I need a cover over battery cable that runs by passengers foot. Easy fix. Done
-I need a heat shield on tailpipe as it runs past fuel fill tube. Easy fix.
-I need better visibility to side markers and reflectors. Going to just buy 4 more markers with built in reflectors and mount them on each side corner.
-Need an approved battery hold down. Hose clamp aint going to cut it. Easy fix, i have one just need to install it.
-Fender rubbed on tire at full lock over curb. Easy fix, increase ride height. Done. I have coilover suspension.

I'll go get lights here shortly and install them tonight along with battery mount and heat shield. I pretty much begged him not to make me trailer my car back to garage and im waiting to hear what he has to say about that.

Met again at shop. QOA Inspector please with updates. Commented that i should be getting something very soon. I assumed he meant title.

Got an email this morning

10/14/18

Got home last night from vacation and everything was there. No longer waiting on the state to drive my creation. Now im waiting on Grundy lol.

Got the VIN plate, Title, and Registration and Plate came in same envelope. ISC also sent my a congrats package too.

I simply followed Chapters E & K Here in Pub 45, then cooperated with any safety concerns from inspector. They're not out to crush dreams, just protecting you and themselves.
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BMV/BMV Manuals/Pub_45 Inspections Regulations/PUB-45.pdf

Last edited:

Jimlup

This is great information for us in Pennsylvania trying to register our Goblins. Thanks so much for taking the time to post all this information.

BTW... we are neighbors. I live right over in Murrysville. Would be nice to meet and check out you build sometime.
Thanks again.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
My experience with titling and registration of the first street legal Goblin in Pennsylvania.

3/30/19- 4/4/19

In preparation for the PA State Enhanced Inspection. I finished up any little details that I thought I needed. I gathered up all my paperwork that included the following.

A completed MV-426B

4 Clear pictures of each side, front, and rear of car

The title from my donor car (it was in my name so I did not have to have a bill of sale)

The Certificate of origin from DF Kit Car

Receipts for all of the parts the parts.

A copy of my driver’s license and current vehicle insurance card.

A detailed description of how to the car was assembled

4/5/19

Took car for the enhanced inspection. The mechanic said everything looked good to him. Said to give him a day or two to finish up the paperwork. He also wanted to contact the state about a few questions. It took him a bit longer than a few days . He said he did talk to a female supervisor from the state and she asked about the donor and wether the wheels and tires were new. I feel like she was all about taxes.

4/10/19

Mechanic asked for a few more pictures to give to the supervisor.

4/17/19

Got all my paperwork back from the mechanic. He dug through my receipts and picked out the ones that I had paid tax on already and only one or two that I didn’t.

4/20/19

I went a local messenger service and applied for a title and plate. She took all the receipts totaled them up. Figured out the tax I owed after subtracting the amount of tax I paid so far. Wrote them a check and she said that I should hear something in 4-6 weeks.

5/29/19

Called the messenger service to ask if they heard anything. This lady did some searching and said it has not been touched as of yet. She said some times the Specialty Constructed titles take a little longer.

5/30/19

The state cashed my check for the title, Plate and taxes. I thought that I was in the clear after they cashed it.

6/12/19

I got a phone call from the supervisor at the Department Of Inspections (Troy). Stating that he needs me to bring the car back in for a quality assurance officer to go over the car. He stated that this was standard procedure for these types of cars. I lost my mind that it has taken 7 weeks to decide that they need to see the car again. I was not a happy person at all. This guy apologized to me and said he could not answer where my paperwork was before he got it. He stated that he only got it on 6/7/19.

6/13/19

I Called Troy to set up the inspection. I apologized to him for going off the deep end the day before. I asked him if he had a list of what exactly he was looking to see. I explained that that it has taken long enough that I didn’t want to have to rent a trailer and bring it back a 3rd time for something small like a reflector or something similar. He said “I don’t like to give out my list. But I see your point let me look at the photos” We went over the pictures while on the phone. After we covered everything that he wanted to see. The only thing he wanted was the sides of the engine compartment covered (It does say this in the inspection manual, I was hoping to get away with it) and the passenger compartment covered up to the top rail between where the side panel ends and the top bar. I said ok and looked forward to get this done.

6/27/19

Rented a trailer from U-Haul. What a mess that was.

I took the car to the inspection garage. The mechanic said he couldn’t believe the passenger compartment panels. But liked what I did to satisfy them.

The quality assurance guy showed up (Randy). He was very nice gave me an over view of what he looking for and at. He asked a bunch of questions about the car, donor, and assembly. Over all he loved the build and even said he might consider building one in a few years. As we talked we knew a few mutual people from our years in the auto business. He finished up the paperwork and said he would send it to Troy that afternoon. I should hear something within a week.

He hung around to talk for a while. He then had to say the only thing that he didn’t like about the build was the shifter, he was somewhat kidding. But I agree it is an ugly part of the car. He then said if I would not have known all the little things that were done on the car. He would have thought that it was professionally built. I felt good about that!

7/3/19

Troy called me to say my title was processed on 7/2. He stated that I should have everything by the 15th and if I didn’t to call him. And that they could come on different days since they come from different departments. I thanked him and apologized again for the rant on 6/13.

7/8/19

Title showed up in the mail

7/10/19

The messenger service called and said my plate was there. The VIN tag showed up in the mail. Finally everything was good to go.

If this sounds a lot like Terryjr’s post above it should. From what I have learned and heard. I think that everyone that puts one of these together will get that phone call and a visit from a QA officer. So prepare yourself ahead of time and do not expect it to move along quickly. I doubt it will. I have made a list of the things that I know for sure the QA guys will look for.

Bumpers

Fenders

DOT headlamps

License plate light

Reverse lights

Side marker lights on all 4 corners

Low brake fluid and turn signal indicators on the dash (we are all good if using the cobalt cluster)

Self canceling turn signals

Reflectors on all 4 corners

Laminated glass windshield with AS1 on it or certification

One windshield wiper

Windshield washer

Defroster it can be the type that plugs in to cigarette lighter. (even the QA guy said this is dumb but required)

Engine cover, Top and Sides

And apparently full side covers for the passenger area

If I think of anything else I will edit and update the list. There are pictures of most of these items in my build log. Good luck to all the other PA builders. If you have any questions let me know.
It can be done!

Metal Mech

So I live in PA and just recently placed my order for the Goblin. I have read over this thread a bit and will read over again when I am doing my build and getting it set up for registration.

I have a question regarding donor paper work.
I am looking at purchasing a donor that has already been stripped. What paper work will I need for the person I buy it from and will this make it more difficult to get the kit registered. I would prefer to go this route if I can for various reasons that would make building this kit go smoother for me but does me no good if it makes it difficult to register when I am done.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
As stated in Karter2026's wonderful post above, you need the title to the Cobalt, in your name. If it's not in your name, you need a bill of sale. You need the MCO (a certificate issued by DF Kit Car at the end of your build). Finally, you need receipts for tax purposes, because you will need to write a check paying the taxes on any parts of the car you haven't already paid taxes on.

Beyond that, Karter's list of the additions you need to make, above and beyond what is included with the kit, is spot-on.

Metal Mech

I understand the MCO and the receipts.
For the donor I am looking at title isn’t a option.
So I guess what my question was is what’s involved in a bill of sale?
Is it just a simple piece of paper filled out by the person I bought the parts from or do I need a paper trial of the previous owners purchase of the car?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
As I understand it, you MUST have the car's title. If you don't/can't/won't, I'd move on to a different donor, personally. If you are steadfast on the titleless donor, then you should have the best possible paper trail you can muster, even though it may not be enough without the title.

Or, just register in Montana instead.

Metal Mech

You will need a title. Find another donor.
I talked with the owner of the donor. It’s junkyard salvage with Bill of Sale from the salvage yard.
Not married to it so if it’s a title I need I will get something else.
Was just hoping to eliminate the process of needing to strip the car.
Thank you guys for the reply’s.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Stripping the car isn't that bad of a process especially with following the videos and the forum tips for additional items to keep. I recovered just over half my donor investment by selling miscellaneous parts I didn't need and then selling the shell for scrap.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
On the high end of the donor part out, I actually made money selling off the remains of the Cobalt carcass. This will very widely depending upon where you live. But there is some merit to stripping a donor, not only to help offset the donor cost, but gives you a good idea of how things go together on the Goblin. Unless you are very familiar with GM FWD platforms, taking the donor apart helps tremendously in this regard. :D

Metal Mech

Yeah actually stripping the donor isn’t the problem for me. I actually enjoy the process. Won’t be the first time I’ve stripped a FWD Chevy.
Right now I’m researching city ordinances because that may be an issue for me.
There is also the wife to make happy haha, but yeah I’m gonna go the route of stripping donor with a title cause it’s pointless to do it any other way if I can’t make it street legal.

Last edited: