Pisco's extended city goblin #220 (2009 SS/TC donor)

pisco

It's time to start my build log
I've been procrastinating for long enough and am tired of paying for storage of the donor.
It took a month of cleaning the garage to prepare and it's still a mess
day 1 went well, after hauling the car home and returning the borrowed trailer got tools out about 12:30 and by 5 had suspension stripped (mostly) and engine ready to drop.
day 2 wasn't much better as far as getting started, after running around borrowing an engine hoist and looking for a socket for the hub nut (bought the wrong size anyway) just got suspension finished, subframe and engine dropped.
day 3 (today [my birthday]) was working away stripping interior and loading my truck with the borrowed engine hoist and parts worth saving for sale when my daughter managed to get her finger caught in the hinge side of the storm door. We thought for sure it was broken and took her in immediately. Luckily she is ok and will recover.
I'm terrible with the pictures, I get in the zone and forget to stop to snap a pic now and then.

Attachments

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I just used a 2 ft breaker bar with my 3/8 breaker bar wedged between lugs and the floor. Came loose no problem. Mine had rust all on the bottom, nothing a 2 ft breaker bar couldn’t fix

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum. Where are you located? Good time to get your garage helper interested in things mechanical. He looks like he is pretty enthusiastic about Dad's new project. :D

pisco

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located? Good time to get your garage helper interested in things mechanical. He looks like he is pretty enthusiastic about Dad's new project. :D
Omaha, NE the donor came from Wichita IAAI, under the carpet I found a movie stub from a theater in Tucson with a military discount circa 2011 no telling when that person was transferred to Kansas or sold to someone there. I honestly couldn't believe how clean this car is, almost no dirt inside at all and aside from bald nitto invos, the janky boost gauge setup, and the accident (probably caused by the baldness of the tires) it looks like it has been well loved.
Little man was trying to talk me into keeping and fixing the cobalt, not realizing whats coming or the extent of the damage..

Goblin Graber

Omaha, NE the donor came from Wichita IAAI, under the carpet I found a movie stub from a theater in Tucson with a military discount circa 2011 no telling when that person was transferred to Kansas or sold to someone there. I honestly couldn't believe how clean this car is, almost no dirt inside at all and aside from bald nitto invos, the janky boost gauge setup, and the accident (probably caused by the baldness of the tires) it looks like it has been well loved.
Little man was trying to talk me into keeping and fixing the cobalt, not realizing whats coming or the extent of the damage..
Welcome to the club! I love the pic of your little guy inside. My two year old spent plenty of time in there spinning that steering wheel while I tore down the donor.

When we were taking it out of the garage he looked at me and said “no more sit and go fast in papas car?” They truly have no idea what’s to come.

pisco

Got most of the stripping done
Sold some parts (seats, rear bumper, and wheels). Add in the converter going to Wisconsin and I’ve recovered over half the cost of my donor already.

Working through the wiring harness slowly I got out the Brady labeler. For anyone about to start to strip donor, I recommend a quality labeler, I’m terrible with remembering what plug went where and staying organized is going to be the only way I complete the wiring harness.
D000C8B3-170B-4732-965F-5DF002C2426A.jpeg
E217362A-F8AC-4ACF-8BDC-C0048A6D6ADA.jpeg
285C008F-12A4-4BBD-B0BA-7DD43203FFAF.jpeg

Ross

Goblin Guru
Anybody know if I need my rear hubs or brakes for a ss/tc?
On my SC Goblin, I used my Cobalt hub bearings front & rear for the first year, then replaced them with new ones.
The kit came with new brake rotors and calipers... well I did take the parking brake option.

pisco

On my SC Goblin, I used my Cobalt hub bearings front & rear for the first year, then replaced them with new ones.
The kit came with new brake rotors and calipers... well I did take the parking brake option.

Thanks Ross. I’m going 114.3 and park brake option so I don’t need to strip the rear

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Thanks Ross. I’m going 114.3 and park brake option so I don’t need to strip the rear
If you plan on scrapping the car and NOT keeping the title, then you can leave the rear intact. However, if you are junking the shell before you title/register your goblin, then you might have to cut the shell into quarters in order for a scrap yard to take the pieces without taking the donor title. Doing this is easier with less weight per quartered section so stripping the rear wouldn't be a bad thing.

I only mention this because it seems the donor title is required (not in your name, but in hand with a bill of sale to you) in order to title and register the goblin in the state of Florida.

pisco

If you plan on scrapping the car and NOT keeping the title, then you can leave the rear intact. However, if you are junking the shell before you title/register your goblin, then you might have to cut the shell into quarters in order for a scrap yard to take the pieces without taking the donor title. Doing this is easier with less weight per quartered section so stripping the rear wouldn't be a bad thing.

I only mention this because it seems the donor title is required (not in your name, but in hand with a bill of sale to you) in order to title and register the goblin in the state of Florida.

I have a good friend who is a mechanic by trade but has gotten into the auto auction lately. He used his account to get my donor and avoid me having broker fees. He also has a scrap guy, since he does so much business with him he is a trusted source and will let us keep the title.
I’m not sure what Nebraska will require for registration. I can’t imagine much a couple guys put a dumpster on wheels and registered it for car shows.

I still might get as much weight as possible off the shell to move it more easily.

pisco

Couple milestones today.
I got the dash out thanks to my neighbor for the help with that. Removed the rest of the wiring, dropped the fuel tank and removed the pump.
I did end up removing rear calipers and bearing hubs, had to yank out the lowering springs to put with front strut assemblies in the Craigslist pile. Hopefully make enough $ selling parts to pay for powder coat...

Now to strip the dash and dispose of the carcass.