Plastidipping your Goblin

jaredthenav

I don't even know what to say about DYC's latest "Mood Ring" dip video...

It's pretty amazing, unlike anything I've seen on a car before. A Goblin with THIS would be absolutely nuts. Now, it's not a finalized product yet, but if they find eventually bring it to market with like matte topcoat or something to seal it, I'd definitely do this!

One big downside is, people wouldn't stop touching your car. :mad::mad::mad:
You'd have to wash it with hand sanitizer these days!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Did you watch the video? You can even see the welds behind the body panels. It's crazy looking.

Goblin Guru
So, I want to bump this thread for two reasons.

One, I want to comment on the durability of my plastidip job, after having put a summer's worth of driving on it, about 1400 miles' worth. The plastidip coating has held up EXTREMELY well. Even gunk like bug splatters that I thought I'd have trouble with, were no problem whatsoever. It just wipes off, with a little bit of elbow grease. Note that my shade is "snow white", and it's literally a very pure white ... and it suffered no discoloration or staining whatsoever over the last spring and summer driving season. There's only one little flaw on my plastidip job; a small amount peeled off on one edge of my hood, but it was my fault for loading my hood into the back of my daily driver and not adequately protecting the edges.

20210921_180020.jpg

Two ... DYC.com just dropped a new video a little bit ago. Check it out HERE. That is one WILD green and I'd like to actually replicate that, but they advise against it because it took a LOT of pigment and they can't verify how well it'll hold up over time. So wild though!

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Holy cow! Even Kermit the Frog is jealous of that color green! That is one impressive color and I'm betting it looks even more incredible in the sun. o_O Good to hear your plastidip has held up well. Gives everyone another option when choosing a finish.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
So, I want to bump this thread for two reasons.

One, I want to comment on the durability of my plastidip job, after having put a summer's worth of driving on it, about 1400 miles' worth. The plastidip coating has held up EXTREMELY well. Even gunk like bug splatters that I thought I'd have trouble with, were no problem whatsoever. It just wipes off, with a little bit of elbow grease. Note that my shade is "snow white", and it's literally a very pure white ... and it suffered no discoloration or staining whatsoever over the last spring and summer driving season. There's only one little flaw on my plastidip job; a small amount peeled off on one edge of my hood, but it was my fault for loading my hood into the back of my daily driver and not adequately protecting the edges.

View attachment 27663

Two ... DYC.com just dropped a new video a little bit ago. Check it out HERE. That is one WILD green and I'd like to actually replicate that, but they advise against it because it took a LOT of pigment and they can't verify how well it'll hold up over time. So wild though!
That is one AWESOME staged photo shot. Blow it up and put it on a wall!!!!

Goblin Guru
That is one AWESOME staged photo shot. Blow it up and put it on a wall!!!!
I used that to fulfill the latest Goblin Picture Game challenge. Pretty good shot ... I just couldn't find any firefighters to come pose with it. o_O

PaulPerger

I have decided that I am going to "Dip" my car and I have a question about you prep.

Did you paint your hood and/or side panels first, then plasti-dip it or did you just go straight to plasti-dip?

jaredthenav

I "dipped" the hood, engine cover, side panels, fenders and stock wheels. I prepped them all according to their YouTube videos, and sprayed right onto the panels. The color I went with required a base coat of avalanche gray. A gallon of gray and a gallon of the purple did everything just fine. It was my first time painting anything like this and I found it very doable and very forgiving. So straight to Plasti dip.