Plexiglass Side panels?!?

SwerveMonkey

Crazy thought, what if the side panels were clear?
Assuming that the side panels are aluminum sheets that bolt straight to the frame, could plexiglass be substituted??
I went looking and did not find any goblins with plexiglass side panels so far, I think I'd like to pursue this idea and form some up.

While I get other parts of my life in order the goblin build is on hold, moving states soon; meanwhile, I'll develop a plan to do this.
if anyone else has done this, what was your experience? any pitfalls?

Also....
IIRC someone also mentioned some time ago making a sheet metal kit that would simply act as "in-fill" for the space between the frame rails.
has anyone attempted this? I'm playing around with the idea of using the left over rubber coated clamps as a means of support for each sheet between rails.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I don’t see why not. You could cut it to size and use some heat to bend it to fit the shape. I don’t know how it’d fair with road debris and whatnot though.

Putting panels in between the rail tubing would work too although you’d probably want to modify your clamps so they held the panel centered. If your chassis isn’t painted yet, you could also weld on a handful of tabs to hold the panels for a cleaner look.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Also....
IIRC someone also mentioned some time ago making a sheet metal kit that would simply act as "in-fill" for the space between the frame rails.
has anyone attempted this? I'm playing around with the idea of using the left over rubber coated clamps as a means of support for each sheet between rails.
Someone did this, but can’t remember who. It turned out nice though.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Polycarbonate is much more impact resistant than plexiglass. Plexiglass can shatter, and leave sharp fragments, like glass.
Polycarbonate is more money, but you can get away with really thin material, which brings the cost down.
Both will scratch up over time, so I would buy it thin, and replace it when it gets too scratched.
RC car bodies are polycarbonate, and I beat them hard when racing them.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Having lexan side panels are what I plan on working on when I get my kit. I like the idea of the protection but also the open feeling. I haven't worked on it too much as I don't have my kit yet but will start taking measurements and seeing possibility in the coming weeks. here is my inspiration. Forgive me that it is not a Goblin.

Joe

SwerveMonkey

Forgive me that it is not a Goblin.
Joe
Still Love that Look! this is exactly what i was envisioning!
I am guessing that you too welded tabs on to secure it??

edit: I am going for it... but I dont have any welding skills nor a welder on hand, going to fabricate a way to simply clasp onto the frame without any tabs... this ought to be fun

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Going to try to pick up my frame tomorrow. My original idea was to have the lexan on the inside, but I know all the support is not level there as well as interference around belt mounts. Second option is to do like DF as a longer strip on the outside. Lexan is bendable to a degree and will practice prior to the final piece. Still looking at mounting options be it tube clamps, to weld tab, to rivnuts with grommet and oversized holes to reduce stress cracks.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Still Love that Look! this is exactly what i was envisioning!
I am guessing that you too welded tabs on to secure it??

edit: I am going for it... but I dont have any welding skills nor a welder on hand, going to fabricate a way to simply clasp onto the frame without any tabs... this ought to be fun
You don't need to weld tabs if you don't want too. The DF side panels are secured with rivets, and you could easily put rivnuts in if you want to make the polycarbonate easily replaceable. Long as you don't drill into the bottom frame tubes, you can secure the side panels.