Possible Chevy LS4 (5.3 FWD LS) swap?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I always wanted to put a 9k rpm F20C honda engine from the S2000 in one. That was actually the first email I ever sent Adam/Lonny asking about that as an engine choice. I know they are expensive as heck to make big power but man that RPM would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Nuker-

socaljeff3798

Just buy yourself a LS powered sandrail frame and convert for the street. There is no point to try and do it with a Goblin. Not to mention the Goblin already has a 64% rear weight bias. What do you think it goes to with a LS engine? They are too light on the front already. If you look closely they are NOT a mid engine car they are a REAR engine car and come with the handling issues of one.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I'm super excited to see the first engine swap to a non-ecotec powerplant. It will be a lot of work and engineering but it will be super sweet!

95Blitz

Had lunch with a friend and we were BSing about how in the future I'd start to look at swapping a hayabusa or Kawasaki H2 engine out for the LSJ. Do it at the time I'm ready to repowder coat the frame so any modifications could be done at the same time.

Engines smaller, less weight, probably drop close to 200 pounds instantly vs the LSJ and F35. Use a chain drive diff with a starter motor on a ring gear for reverse, with custom axles off the diff to use the existing hubs. There's not a huge electrical draw coming off the goblin, dont think an alternator would be necessary, stator and RR should provide enough charging power. Motorcycle wiring is pretty basic. I've stripped harnesses before on dedicated race bikes and it was 100x's easier than the goblin wiring. Air shifter or simple push/pull linkage for the shifter with a quick shifter setup so no lift up/down shifts (paddle shifters for +100 to rep). No torque from a I4 motorcycle engine but you'd have the ability to play around with the gearing, turbo kits are readily available for the busa engines. Best of all the sound of 10K+ rpm.
Kawi ZX14R ideas here...

and already watching on Copart....

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Reviving an old thread, but it seems like it would be possible, but the fuel tank might be in the way. I was thinking that the rear head would hit the crossbar, but I think it clears fine. The intake would have to be low profile, but it looks like everything would clear. The below pictures are @Sebnuts 3D scan in Blender with an LS3 put in roughly the right spot. (LS3 lost one of its heads when converting from a STEP to STL for Blender)

Fuel tank in this picture is the flat plane on the bottom left of the screen. I doubt the headers would clear

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Fuel tank should be the easiest thing to fix on this swap.

I'm not sure this will good for much more than straight line speed/drag racing though. How much of the additional weight will be behind the wheels? Even without additional weight behind the wheels, the balance F/R has got to be getting way off. Additional weight behind the wheels, taking weight off the front, might make steering almost impossible.

Dale E

If anyone has a wrecked Goblin V1 chassis with the rear engine bay section intact (roll bar to rear down tubes for cradle mounting), send it to me and I will mock up an LS4. I have a 5 speed Getrag Fiero box I can use (that would be the same size as the F23 box). There is an after market part available to mount the starter and a flywheel - since the crankshaft is shorter on the LS4.

Looking back in the other build forum pictures - the basic set is shown with the 3800 V6 SC and auto trans. The 3800 and LS4 are both 90 degree engines. The pictures should show that the weight is not behind the wheels t all, but even moved forward a bit, so the weight distribution and placement mentioned earlier may be off a bit. More forward weight would possibly help in balancing. The height of the V8 and V6 (without SC) is equal too or lower that the Cobalt engine. The V6 center bolt on harmonic balancer is +/- 8 inches to center of axle. The edge of the rear lower head is near the center of the axle line. The gas can in the picture is to represent the Goblin gas tank, which is clearly in front of the cradle to roll bar space. There is plenty of room for headers on the engine down behind the cradle frame. For engine height, the 3800 SC would not fit, nor the higher NA intake manifold, but that could be worked around, with a modified intake runner or going turbo. The LS4 swaps usually get an LS2 intake manifold, simply because they look better (cosmetics). Note the pictures referenced, that the 3800 V6 has really long front pulley protrusion, which the LS4 would not have.

I left a lot out!! I need to go back to researching more!!

Referencing: https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/mid-engine-cobalt.2044/page-3

LS4 would loose accessories, so this will not be correct dimensionally:

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
If anyone has a wrecked Goblin V1 chassis with the rear engine bay section intact (roll bar to rear down tubes for cradle mounting), send it to me and I will mock up an LS4. I have a 5 speed Getrag Fiero box I can use (that would be the same size as the F23 box). There is an after market part available to mount the starter and a flywheel - since the crankshaft is shorter on the LS4.

Looking back in the other build forum pictures - the basic set is shown with the 3800 V6 SC and auto trans. The 3800 and LS4 are both 90 degree engines. The pictures should show that the weight is not behind the wheels t all, but even moved forward a bit, so the weight distribution and placement mentioned earlier may be off a bit. More forward weight would possibly help in balancing. The height of the V8 and V6 (without SC) is equal too or lower that the Cobalt engine. The V6 center bolt on harmonic balancer is +/- 8 inches to center of axle. The edge of the rear lower head is near the center of the axle line. The gas can in the picture is to represent the Goblin gas tank, which is clearly in front of the cradle to roll bar space. There is plenty of room for headers on the engine down behind the cradle frame. For engine height, the 3800 SC would not fit, nor the higher NA intake manifold, but that could be worked around, with a modified intake runner or going turbo. The LS4 swaps usually get an LS2 intake manifold, simply because they look better (cosmetics). Note the pictures referenced, that the 3800 V6 has really long front pulley protrusion, which the LS4 would not have.

I left a lot out!! I need to go back to researching more!!

Referencing: https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/mid-engine-cobalt.2044/page-3

LS4 would loose accessories, so this will not be correct dimensionally:

Reviving an old thread, but it seems like it would be possible, but the fuel tank might be in the way. I was thinking that the rear head would hit the crossbar, but I think it clears fine. The intake would have to be low profile, but it looks like everything would clear. The below pictures are @Sebnuts 3D scan in Blender with an LS3 put in roughly the right spot. (LS3 lost one of its heads when converting from a STEP to STL for Blender)

View attachment 45406View attachment 45407

Fuel tank in this picture is the flat plane on the bottom left of the screen. I doubt the headers would clear
View attachment 45408
LS designs are symmetrical so the intake is reversable, F to R or say R to L depending upon your perspective. I believe LS engines are also used in Isuzu tilt cab trucks so there may be some different one off pieces from those? Another user that may yield differing components are Mercury Marine I/O applications.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Among LS intake manifolds, the LS4 is the worst, bar none. Use the LS6 or Dorman copy, or if you have the vertical space, any truck manifold that uses the same 3 bolt pattern throttle bodies is superior to the LS4 intake.