possible to build an LSJ with auto trans?

Goblinfanclub1234

I have been curious...is it possible to build an LSJ goblin using an automatic transmission??

Anyone on here done this before?

My research is telling me that there is an auto trans from an HHR SS that could work, need flex plate, trans, shifter, probably a trans controller also.

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
SC's didn't come in an automatic trim like the LNF platform did with the HHR SS. I am not sure if there's a car out there that has both an LSJ and an automatic. If there is, it could probably be used (modified) for the Goblin.

Otherwise, you could probably do it with a standalone ECM and TCM, but I'm nowhere near that brave.

Wes

It would be a lot easier/cheaper to just supercharge a 2.2 or 2.4 auto donor. Would be fine for 9 or 10 lbs or boost, I doubt the auto trans would like much more than that power level anyways.

Goblinfanclub1234

It would be a lot easier/cheaper to just supercharge a 2.2 or 2.4 auto donor. Would be fine for 9 or 10 lbs or boost, I doubt the auto trans would like much more than that power level anyways.
I kind of agree with you, I was looking at the ZZP SC kit for those NA engines. I'm just thinking about building another goblin. It is addicting.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
@Torchandregdoc built a TC auto from a HHR SS. Check out his build log. The SC build should be very close for everything else except the intake system.
Forced induction is about the only thing the LSJ and LNF have in common control-wise. That's some bad info.

Referencing myself, it's been speculated that the LSJ P12 can control an auto trans, but to my knowledge never been accomplished.

You'll probably have an easier time of it putting an LSJ supercharger system on a 2.4 or an '07+ 2.2 originally equipped with an auto trans, or running a standalone controller on a P12 LSJ.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
With enough time, effort, and money, anything is possible.

As to building a faster auto goblin, I think it’d be easier to start with a nicer Cobalt LT and add forced induction. Or use a TC auto HHR as mentioned above.

95Blitz

If your looking at building another goblin why stick with the cobalt engine/trans for the donor? This is your chance to go outside the norm for the powertrain. Some stuff will still need to be cobalt but the rear of the goblin is open for what ever you want.

Dale E

And there you have it! What Cobalt part would be needed for an outside the norm build? You guys don't use the seats, lights, wheels and other things already. Fuse and relay boxes can be made from Amazon/Ebay buys. The new engine/transmission will come with it's own wiring harness and computer to make it run. How much of the Cobalt wiring and computer stuff do you all delete now?

You can use most any brake booster, pedal assembly, hubs -(taking in considerations for if it will bolt to the DFKit front upright pattern). There are many other cars that use a 33 spline wheel bearing hub assembly. Some even with different wheel bolt patterns for after market wheels that you guys sometime re-drill or buy spacers to mount. With multi-brand parts it will still be a Goblin chassis. You will simply have to change your stories at the gas pump and shows as to what is used for the parts. You still will have trouble getting it registered in some states and through state inspections. Sounds normal to me but doable if you desire.

Yep! Guess I'm the bad boy outsider looking at the possibilities! The DFKit is a great little kit and growing in popularity. The global market awaits for a different drive train.

It's your car, whether starting with a DFkit chassis and kit options or build from scratch chassis, So make it yours - truly yours. Unique!!

YOU!! Y = at the cross road - which path do I take. O = going around in circles - trapped - where from here do I go. U = open ended thinking, the road isn't finished yet and if you put a small exit foot on the U then that is pointing to your next step forward.

You're on a life journey, enjoy it, take some family and friends along.

95Blitz

Yeah I was thinking hub, steering rack and tie rods might be only parts that would really be needed from a cobalt just to make the front easy. Everything else can be what ever you would like. I know we talked about different engines in PM Dale and I'm still looking at my idea and have even bid on a few. Like you said it would still be a goblin but just a different story at the gas pump.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Forced induction is about the only thing the LSJ and LNF have in common control-wise. That's some bad info.

Referencing myself, it's been speculated that the LSJ P12 can control an auto trans, but to my knowledge never been accomplished.

You'll probably have an easier time of it putting an LSJ supercharger system on a 2.4 or an '07+ 2.2 originally equipped with an auto trans, or running a standalone controller on a P12 LSJ.
So a turbocharger can be added to the LSJ, but a supercharger cannot be added to the LNF? It is just not possible?