Powder Coating options

What parts did you have powder coated/finished other than the chassis? Did you have them finished in the same color or a secondary color for your build?

I am beginning conversations with a local vendor and don't know what to be prepared for when my kit arrives.

Any feedback and/or advice is appreciated!

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Of the parts from DF - the two firewall panels and everything steel was powder coated primary color (even small parts). The fuel tank and donor subframe was powder coated satin black. I may have engine parts coated, but haven't started detailing it yet.

Floor pans were bed liner coated.

I HIGHLY recommend powder coating the fuel tank. I can't believe I didn't scratch it when installing those bands and rubber hose pieces.

Lndshrk Steve

I'm going through the same thing right now . . . I found looking at the Build Logs helped. Some do the sub frame in black, some in the frame color. The same for the fuel tank. Look at the builds and see what works for the look (theme) you're after.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I did the frame and the A-arms in a particular gray that I picked out and everything else from the kit in black. The floor is a textured black and the rest of the sheet metal and the fuel tank are a satin black. Pretty much everything else got an enamel black spraypaint. I'd pretty much do it all the same again.

Iwanttogofast

Just my opinion, but the Goblin is a perfect opportunity and platform for going a little crazy on color choice. I like it! I don't think you'll be sorry.

Chris_WNC

I did front A-arms, chassis, sub-frame, and side panels in a Smurf blue. I’m leaving the floor panels raw aluminum. Nose and possibly rear engine covers are getting wrapped in a Nardo Grey. The chassis color really pops!

CHRIS

jayrolls

What parts did you have powder coated/finished other than the chassis? Did you have them finished in the same color or a secondary color for your build?

I am beginning conversations with a local vendor and don't know what to be prepared for when my kit arrives.

Any feedback and/or advice is appreciated!
I did almost everything. Main parts in orange, smaller parts and side panels in blue.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Powder is sold by the pound, does any one know how much is used to powder-coat the frame and most of the typical parts?

As always the powder I like PRISMATIC UNIVERSE is the most expensive at $43 a pound.

Brett

If I remember correctly, my guy stated he bought 3 pounds and had some left over.

The powder is the cheap part. It is all the labor involved.

Also, be sure to check the application guide for the powder. It looks like the Prismatic Universe needs a coat of Prismatic Clear Vision for outdoor use.

In general, I went with Powder Coat for durability, not looks. One of my decision points for the powder was that I wanted it to be one coat and done, not several coats driving up labor costs.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Good points, what might be an example of a more durable powder coating?

Last edited:

pdrury3

I had a hard time picking a color for my powder coat.
My guy sent me to a website that had over 6500 colors!!! I was overwhelmed to say the least.

too many options.
This is what I went with!!!
Awesome Color! Can't wait to see it on the car.

ColoradoCryptoTrader

I also found a few good ones that use prismatic ink black as a base with a metallic clear on top like prismatic PPB 10245 devils punch bowl. I am leaning towards this for my frame now. there are some really great ones in that color family. too many choices.

Lonewolf170

If I remember correctly, my guy stated he bought 3 pounds and had some left over.
Anyone else want to give input on pounds of powder needed? Getting my frame soon and was talking to a powder coater and he was saying I should order 10 pounds of base and 10 pounds of clear for the frame. Personally seems like a lot to me.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Anyone else want to give input on pounds of powder needed? Getting my frame soon and was talking to a powder coater and he was saying I should order 10 pounds of base and 10 pounds of clear for the frame. Personally seems like a lot to me.
That seems like a lot but I can call the place that did mine and see if they know how much they used.