Powder Coating options

Lonewolf170

That seems like a lot but I can call the place that did mine and see if they know how much they used.
Thanks. I know you did other items as well in multiple finishes. I liked the list you had put together. Very handy. It was quite the adventure trying to find a company with an oven big enough for the extended frame.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I called the guy that did my frame and he said it was 6-8 pounds for just the frame (mine is the extended track frame) with an Illusion color. I think they ordered 10 pounds for mine and he still had quite a bit left over even with all the other parts they did on mine beyond the frame (subframe, windshield bracket, kick plate, motor mounts, rod ends, valve cover, battery bracket, 2 reservoir brackets, & toe link bar).

Mine was Prismatic Powder's Illusion Purple. He said with a standard color it would have been less powder because they typically cover better than the fancy finishes so they don't need as much powder.

snirtman

Anyone else want to give input on pounds of powder needed? Getting my frame soon and was talking to a powder coater and he was saying I should order 10 pounds of base and 10 pounds of clear for the frame. Personally seems like a lot to me.
It might depend on the sytems being used by the shop doing the coating. Home-gamer systems can spray as little as a few ounces. The pots we used at my last job were 100# pots that would probably take almost 10# of powder just to charge the system.

The actual amount of powder on the Goblin frame is only about a pound or less. But with overspray and inefficiency about 3 pounds would be required. Plus whatever waste there might be in the system.

ColoradoCryptoTrader

sound pretty close I think they ordered 20lbs of evo grey for me. I did my frame + subframe + control arms + intercooler brackets + tunnel covers + a bunch of other small stuff.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
It was quite the adventure trying to find a company with an oven big enough for the extended frame.
I called a couple of places that all sent me to the place I ended up using because they had the 'big enough' oven. It was like, "we can do wheels and smaller stuff, but you need to take your frame to these guys because they have the big oven".

Lonewolf170

I called a couple of places that all sent me to the place I ended up using because they had the 'big enough' oven. It was like, "we can do wheels and smaller stuff, but you need to take your frame to these guys because they have the big oven".
I almost pmd you to find a spot since I wasn't having luck my be.

Thanks all for the comments about powder. Figure I'll just bite the bullet and order 10lb of base and 10lb top coat. Figure will help cover a couple of pieces.

Devo

I almost pmd you to find a spot since I wasn't having luck my be.

Thanks all for the comments about powder. Figure I'll just bite the bullet and order 10lb of base and 10lb top coat. Figure will help cover a couple of pieces.
I'm now at this point. How close were you on the 10lbs of base and 10lbs of top coat estimate?

Lonewolf170

I'm now at this point. How close were you on the 10lbs of base and 10lbs of top coat estimate?
I haven't brought my frame in yet for powdercoating. Prismatic powders got the powder to me next day so that was nice.

Need to finish up my donor teardown and get shell out. Too afraid I'm going to damage the coating if I have everything in the garage. Plan is to have it to the coater in two weeks.

Lonewolf170

snirtman

I'd email their automotive customer support. I know some colors can be damaged by UV. Usually the product would say if anything required in terms of base/top coat. With what you will pay for powder and coating, I'd say worth an email to be safe.
Generally, epoxy powders are the most durable, but don't have the best UV resistance. Polyester powders are probably the most flexible and UV resistant, and hybrid powders are kind of the middle ground - decent durability and decent UV protection. Color has almost no bearing on durability or UV protection, but powder technology has improved a lot since I was in the biz, so I agree with @Lonewolf170 - check with the powder supplier and tell them your application and they'll recommend a powder.

Devo

Following up - I had the extended track frame, tunnel cover, aluminum side panels, & rear steering lockout bar all powder coated. The shop used approximately 8-9 pounds each of base and top coat powders.

Dsteinhorst

Be sure to make it a point to discuss UV resistance with your powder supplier. I didn't and my frame went from hot pink to Barbie pink in 2 years. I may tear down and re-coat over next winter.