Power steering died

Scott Geyer

Guys,
My power steering just died when i was out for a ride. It said "power steering" on my gauge right after it happened. Has anyone had this happen to you?..

Dsteinhorst

Check for loose connections on the twisted pair data lines. The problem may not be at the power steering rack itself. It could be anywhere along the line.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Had similar happen to me.
Try the easy fix first. This one here:
Unplug the connector to the power steering with key off. Unhook battery terminal for 1 minute.
Re-connect everything.

Scott Geyer

Had similar happen to me.
Try the easy fix first. This one here:
Unplug the connector to the power steering with key off. Unhook battery terminal for 1 minute.
Re-connect everything.
Bare with me on the stupid question. Do I disconnect the middle power steering connector with black & red wires or the small top one or the bottom one?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes. Your power steering looks a little different than mine. Probably a newer donor car.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Just unplug all of them. It won't hurt anything and will be sure to accomplish what they are thinking it will do. For myself, I'm not sure what they are thinking it will do that disconnecting the battery won't do.

Scott Geyer

Just unplug all of them. It won't hurt anything and will be sure to accomplish what they are thinking it will do. For myself, I'm not sure what they are thinking it will do that disconnecting the battery won't do.
Thanks Guys. I'll let you know if this works

Scott Geyer

Chase your wires, LAN and power/ground, first. BTW, no blown fuses?

More times than not it comes down to wiring.
Are all the fuses in the back?. I had read a thread that his EPS had a blown 2amp fuse and it was located under the passenger kick plate and that caused the power steering issue??

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The 'logic' fuse I think is in the BCM - under the passenger kick plate - and the high power fuse is in the main fuse box in the engine bay. I'm looking for the BCM photo now but can't find it - I will send if I find it.

Scott Geyer

The 'logic' fuse I think is in the BCM - under the passenger kick plate - and the high power fuse is in the main fuse box in the engine bay. I'm looking for the BCM photo now but can't find it - I will send if I find it.
Ok. I already scratched up my back engine cover. Is there a trick to getting to the rear fuse box without taking off the engine cover?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I think Lonny’s car started as a SC car that was temporarily made a TC, then swapped back to SC? If so the wiring and the fusing will be a little different, although I don’t know how much that affects the EPS circuits.